Starting a visual novel project! (Who knows if I'll finish...)

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
I'm starting a visual novel project!

I'm planning on making it a non-kinetic novel, which means there will be choices involved, as well as lots of endings, and if I finish it and polish it up to decent quality, then I may put it on Steam for anywhere between $0.99 and $4.99.

It's going to be a fantasy adventure tinged with a tad of romance as well, and hopefully I can add elements of comedy in there as well. The art (and the story, of course) are going to be mine, but since I'm no good at making music, so the music might be taken from the YouTube audio library, because the music selection there is free and royalty free.

What do you guys think?

(The reason I say who knows if I'll finish is because I generally don't complete these kinds of things... it's definitely something I need to work on. No pun intended.)
J.K. Riki
I didn't know YouTube had an audio library! Neat. Will look into that for some of our games. :)

Good luck with the project! Don't forget to start small. A finished, smaller visual novel is way, way better than an unfinished big one that no one gets to read because it sits unfinished. ;)

Visual novels are a lot of fun, hope you enjoy the gamedev and writing!
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Very cool! What software are you using to write it?
Joshua19
Noob
Noob
That sounds awesome!

Make sure to post a link here when you get it on Steam :D
kittycathead
Gamer
Gamer
Are you human?: Not likely
Very cool! What software are you using to write it?
I'm using Ren'Py. It's free!
J.K. Riki
Today my wife and I started our next game (very early brainstorming) and it will probably have some Visual Novel elements to it. How is yours coming along? Any tips?
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
kittycathead wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm I'm starting a visual novel project!

You know I've never heard of such a thing, but for a person who enjoys video games and have a long time goal to write short stories and novels, this sounds very interesting.

I also noticed "Ren'Py" mention as the engine you are using.

Do you by any chance have some examples of yours (or others) who have completed a visual novel using Ren'Py.

This might be something I might be interested in getting into.

It seems like a novel with option of endings or course you take through the novel has a video game/ audio book feel to it with visuals. Is this what visual novels are like?
J.K. Riki
There are lots of sorts of visual novels. Some are text heavy, some more visual heavy, but all of them generally put the story as the focus. :)

Some quick searched online for Visual Novels will come up with a ton (some not-so-wholesome, also) and might give you an idea of what they're like.
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
J.K. Riki wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:08 pm Some quick searched online for Visual Novels will come up with a ton (some not-so-wholesome, also) and might give you an idea of what they're like.

Yea, that's why I didn't want to do a simple google search. I don't want to get bombarded with the "unWHOLESOME" element. But I might just brace myself, get prayed up and do the google search.

Because a unwholesome visual novel could easily be too visual :smile:
J.K. Riki
BryanOnAPC wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:47 pm
Yea, that's why I didn't want to do a simple google search. I don't want to get bombarded with the "unWHOLESOME" element. But I might just brace myself, get prayed up and do the google search.

Because a unwholesome visual novel could easily be too visual :smile:
If you use DuckDuckGo (which I recently switched to and am glad I did - it doesn't track your every action and collect your personal data like Google does) you will probably get less of the unwholesome visuals and be able to tell via the text summaries which to avoid. :) https://duckduckgo.com/
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
J.K. Riki wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm
If you use DuckDuckGo (which I recently switched to and am glad I did - it doesn't track your every action and collect your personal data like Google does) you will probably get less of the unwholesome visuals and be able to tell via the text summaries which to avoid. :) https://duckduckgo.com/
I never heard of that before. I might have ti give it a try. Well, I already did and type in "visual novels" but i mean try it as a normal search engine for a while.

Thanks