Star Trek: Discovery

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I've been slowly working my way through S1 of Discovery and so far... I like it.

It is a sign of the times though. The last episode I watched has the dubious distinction of the first F-Bomb dropped in Star Trek, which really wasn't necessary.

The hair raisingly creepy last 5 seconds of the episode more than rekindled my enthusiasm though.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Yeah, there have been a few steps like that here and there that I didn't like, but overall I really like the direction the story is going. Most of the characters are really good too. I particularly like Captain Lorca as a character, even if I think he can't really be trusted.

I'm curious to see what you think when you reach the halfway point. Let's just say January can't come quick enough for me.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Haha yeah I'll report back when I'm there. I'm enjoying that there's new Star Trek content coming out and savoring it, even though this isn't like Trek before.

I am a little sad about the adult-ness of Discovery. Generally I can have Star Trek on when the kids are around but not this show, and it's a shame.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So that last shot in the season finale:
Spoiler:
They re-did the Enterprise again...

And I think she's BEAUTIFUL.

They got it RIGHT this time. It retains every single design element from the original Matte Jeffries design from 1965 but successfully updated to look cool next to the other ships from Discovery.

THIS is what the Abramsverse Enterprise should have looked like.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ArcticFox wrote: So that last shot in the season finale:
Spoiler:
They re-did the Enterprise again...

And I think she's BEAUTIFUL.

They got it RIGHT this time. It retains every single design element from the original Matte Jeffries design from 1965 but successfully updated to look cool next to the other ships from Discovery.

THIS is what the Abramsverse Enterprise should have looked like.
Completely agree. Very beautiful stuff.

Overall, I liked season 1 quite a bit. There were some choices I'm not entirely down with, but I like the world and characters that have been established and from a lore and (to a limited extent) tone perspective this feels very Star Trek. I'm hoping season 2 gives us more time with the crew members that have so-far been background characters. The one thing that has been a big disappointment for me is that the main plot has taken center stage so frequently that character development in the second half of the season felt stagnant. I'm hoping season 2 balances out character-driven stories with an overarching plot.