Another small, leather-bound journal (Minecraft fiction)

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Day 1

The world is no more. Lizard Cove has been destroyed, reduced to so much cosmic dust, along with everything else.

It seems that there was a cataclysmic change which caused a significant seismic shift. From what I was told, great chunks of the world simply disappeared, and the greatest sages of the world could not undo the damage. With great reluctance, it was decided that the world would have to be undone, and from the ashes, a new world created.

I don’t know what, if anything, remains of the old world. I don’t even know if there is anything left of my old journal. I know I don’t have it with me now.

After several months of chaos and turbulence, this new world has formed. Others have explored areas before me, but I have decided that it is now my turn. As I opened my eyes, I found myself in the new sanctuary - a tremendous compound with a crimson roof, with regions for food, pets and prayers. I stocked up on bread and apples. They seemed to be out of carrots - I will have to use the strange teleportation magic that is prevalent here to return when they have restocked.

I was given a set of simple stone tools. I proceeded to the west, determined to explore some of the regions that have been unexplored. I did chop down an oak tree to fashion a boat, and collected some coal so I could provide light when I get to a place I can call home. My apologies to the creators of this world, as they frown upon those who diminish the resources of the land too drastically.

The days are short in this new world, just as they were in the old world. Fortunately, with my experiences I have developed better defensive techniques. In a mountain range, I found a sheltered area as the sun began to set. Relying upon my reptilian physiology, and combined with my prior training as a necromancer, I slowed my heart rate and respiration to the point where I could blend in perfectly with my surroundings. It was as if I wasn’t even in the world. When the rising sun fell upon my open eyes, I stirred from my hibernation and, after ensuring that the area was free of monsters, continued my explorations.

I traveled through a swamp and along various coast lines, sending the data through the strange liquid crystals that others use to develop maps. The sun set a second time as I explored, but I piloted my boat far out to sea to wait. I have found that the zombies and other monsters will not appear in the water, and rarely swim too far out from the land.

My travels eventually ended at a small coastal village, inhabited by farmers and blacksmiths. They seem friendly, but cautious. As with most natives of the old world, however, they aren’t terribly intelligent, and their village largely undefended against monsters that stalk the night. I will have to see what can be done to protect these simple folks. For now, I found an unused building at the edge of their town and, once I am done with this entry, will again enter hibernation in order to avoid attracting the attention of beasts.
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
YES!!! It's back! :D :D
Comotto
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." Ray Bradbury would be proud!

CARZ
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Day 2

How fortuitous! One of my fellow travelers, Lava89, heard of the plight of the villagers and has set out to build a wall around their compound. He also has added illumination to help keep the monsters at bay. He has received some supplies from another traveler called ServantOfTheKing. I’m sure that, between the two of them, the people of this humble, coastal village, will be safe.

I think I will have to set off a section of land in the area so I can watch over these villagers. Perhaps I can build up their defenses even greater, and even add to their buildings so their village can become a major port. Once I discover my own property and build a house, I will have to begin gathering supplies for another major endeavor. Before the cataclysm, some of my fellow travelers talked about their plans for the new world. Although I do not desire to be a part of their cities - my past experiences with humans still makes me leery of their company - I think a network of roads to connect all the settlements would be ideal. I look forward to gathering materials for these roads, and building them so others can traverse the world in relative safety to see what others have done.

Speaking of other settlements, I did teleport to the town that ServantOfTheKing and HeidiAndStella, another traveler, are currently constructing. High in a mountainous area, it is also close to a jungle. It has a ways to go, but their progress so far has been impressive. It sounds as if they are still trying to determine a name for this settlement, though.

I know what I wish to name my place - New Idaho. I have heard of a wondrous land on a distant world, where there are vast tracts of wilderness and regions which are famous for their potato farms. I fell in love with the humble baked potato in the prior world, and would love to also create a potato farm. So I seek a region with dry soil, but also majestic mountains and forests. I am hoping that I will find one near this village, but that remains to be seen.

I did find some rather unusual rock formations during my travels today. Quite a few waterfalls, and even a spout of lava bursting from the side of a cliff! So far I haven’t found an area that has really called out to me, though. Looking at the maps, I do see an interesting peninsula to the south. Perhaps I should explore that region tomorrow.
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Yay the town! :D
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Day 3

My explorations of this region continues. I’ve explored around that odd peninsula. It appears that there is a deep cave complex underneath the rise. As a result, I am uncertain if this will be a good location for me to build a home. I may need to research this further, but the coast of this inland sea calls to me. It appears so tranquil at night, and I am inclined to name this the Sea of Stars.

I had another visitor during my explorations - a traveler named jbmagination. I believe he is affiliated with the unnamed town that I visited yesterday. Amusingly enough, he teleported to me while I was in the middle of the sea! Sputtering, he managed to crawl into the boat behind me. We took a brief break to gather some supplies and to hunt for meat, but most of our efforts consisted of examining and mapping the southern portions of the sea.

We did find an interesting discovery beneath the waves - between a fire fall and a swamp lies an underwater temple. I have never explored these strange complexes, but I know others enjoy doing so. jbmagination made a notation of its location so others may be able to visit it when they are ready.

We have made an encampment on a small island. jbmagination ensures me that he will be able to travel on from here. After I finish this journal entry, I will enter hibernation again. I look forward to my continued explorations!
Comotto
' The Minecraft Chronicles '

CARZ
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Ooo, gripping...
Sstavix
CCGR addict
evered wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 am Ooo, gripping...
(( H&S, you've been there for a good portion of it, in a sense, watching from the Web! :lol:

Incidentally, notice the double parentheses. That indicates this portion is NOT part of the journal, but can be interpreted to be "author commentary." The double parentheses are a common indicator in the role-playing world to indicate out-of-character talk. e.g. (( AFK bio break )) ))
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Sstavix wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:55 am
evered wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 am Ooo, gripping...
(( H&S, you've been there for a good portion of it, in a sense, watching from the Web! :lol:

Incidentally, notice the double parentheses. That indicates this portion is NOT part of the journal, but can be interpreted to be "author commentary." The double parentheses are a common indicator in the role-playing world to indicate out-of-character talk. e.g. (( AFK bio break )) ))
Oh, uh. *Only understood half of that* okay cool!
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Day 4

My journeys continue around the Sea of Stars. I have uncovered quite a bit of the darkness, and even sailed past a witch’s hut when I visited a swamp. I heard a witch cackle to herself and proceeded quickly past. I may have failed, though - there were times when my boat seemed to warp back to spots I had already visited, and areas where portions of the land would just disappear. Also, I witnessed a few squids leap from the water into the sky, only to snap back into the water a few seconds later. I fear that the witch’s curse may have altered my sense of perception for a time, but things appear to be normal now.

In addition to the witch’s hut, I also found an undersea temple, easily three times as big as the one jbmagination and I found yesterday. There is a small, sandy island in the sea where you can see the temple just under the surface to the south (the island is located at -4291, 596 for any brave explorers who desire to risk exploring this feature).

I also discovered two more villages - one at the edge of a lovely lake, and the second deep within a spruce forest. I am actually writing this journal entry from that village, trying to get it accomplished before the sun goes down. I don’t want to attract zombies, who seem to delight in the flesh of these humble folk. I need to construct walls around this place and provide sufficient illumination to drive off the undead. Oh, if only I still had my necromantic skills! I could control the zombies and force them to go far, far away. Alas, such magic is unknown in this world, so much of my training as a hatchling is useless. On the plus side, I have been learning to use a sword, but my combat skills are still feeble, at best. I need to strengthen my knowledge of enchantments here in this place, so I will be sufficiently armed to drive off my enemies.

One further thing before I enter hibernation. I believe I have found a location that will work for New Idaho! There is a region between three villages - the two I’ve discovered, and the first one I visited - that may work well for growing potatoes, with a dense forest and high mountains nearby. I will have to explore it more, but it should work quite well. But for now, sleep.
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Yay! Potatoes! :D
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Day 5

One detail I forgot to mention yesterday - when I left my boat, it crumbled away and the pieces floated rapidly downstream. I don’t know what caused so much damage to it - I suspect it was the witch’s curse.

After I left the village and headed back the way I came, I missed it, though. I had to travel over some rough terrain, and decided to try and take the river to help with navigating. Sadly, I had no boat, and had to resort to swimming instead.

I do think I found a good place to build a home, though. It is on a high peak near a river bend, and provides a beautiful view of the surrounding terrain. Perhaps I will even build a tower at this point, to allow for an even more magnificent view.

I also seem to have befriended a chicken. There are many chickens in this region, but this particular one seemed to take an interest in me. I gave him (her?) some of the seed that I found on my journeys, and he looked at me with newfound adoration.

I think I shall name him Gary.

I planted some rudimentary crafting supplies on this point, as well as a chest. After depositing most of my trinkets in the chest, I cut down an acacia tree and made another boat. I then used the teleportation ritual to secure my location to this peak, and teleported back to the central cathedral. I will rest for a bit, then venture through the portal to the other world to gather resources. I look forward to creating my new home, and even have a few plans for how it will look when I am finished!
evered
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Gary! :D
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Day 6

I have started my exploration of the resource world. From the small starting location, I have made my way southwest, through a mega taiga region, rich with mushrooms, podzol and mossy cobblestone. This region is rich with resources, but without enchanted tools I would not be able to harvest the podzol. I will have to work on that when I can, because it would be lovely to plant some of this around my property. Mushrooms grow well in it.

I have taken my boat far into the sea, but so far all I have found are small, deserted islands. I also have discovered at least three underwater temples, including one with a significant number of guardians around it. I avoided that one, obviously.

I am hoping that tomorrow’s explorations will prove to be more fruitful.