Five Bible Verses You Need to Stop Misusing

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014 ... p-misusing

Romans 8:28 is still my favorite verse....
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I dunno about some of them. People always do the "LOL JER29:11 IS ABOUT JOOZ, DUMDUM" but I'm also of the mindset that a lot of the OT is, in part, supposed to be a very long and complex story about the nature of God and his relationship with his people.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
ChickenSoup wrote:I dunno about some of them. People always do the "LOL JER29:11 IS ABOUT JOOZ, DUMDUM" but I'm also of the mindset that a lot of the OT is, in part, supposed to be a very long and complex story about the nature of God and his relationship with his people.
I have heard ppl say that, but I don't think that's what this author is saying. He isn't saying it doesn't apply to us, he's explaining what the context was, a message of hope in the midst of suffering.

Yes, I'd say you're right, the OT is about God's relationship with His people. WE are also His people, the New Israel

I don't think Jer 29:11 in a graduation card is misusing it, but maybe graduation shouldn't be the primary time for this particular verse since it is a time when people are celebrating and thinking about careers/more education/achievement. Maybe a verse like this would be better for graduates:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Here's my thing with this verse--and usually I'm not for superficial readings or disregard for historical context.

Deep reading with historical context: Historically speaking, this verse is talking about God's specific plan for the Jews during and after their exile to Babylon. This is an illustration of the concept that despite suffering, even that which we brought upon ourselves, God has a larger, grander plan for us that we might not be able to comprehend right now.

Superficial reading: Despite suffering, even that which we brought upon ourselves, God has a larger, grander plan for us that we might not be able to comprehend right now.

I'm usually pretty adamant about keeping context in mind, but this particular example always makes me roll my eyes. It's in every blog about superficial/lukewarm/shallow Christians and their misuse of Scripture, but it's almost always really just about people being snobs. Anyway, I've gone through some pretty rough depression in the last few months, and when I see people crapping on the verse, I just find it really irritating because it's usually about condescension rather than gentle correction. ...hence the use of the Gene Wilder meme.

"Tell me about your exile in Bablyon, basic Christian!"

Oh yeah, I forgot that some people's suffering is more valid than others. Forgive me.

(By the way, I'm not saying that you're like this. Just to clarify, I'm venting about others. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk to you, because I see what you mean. And yeah, there are probably better verses for a graduation card :) )
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Wintercross
One that is used out of context ALL THE TIME, especially by people criticising Christians speaking out against sinful behaviour, is Matthew 7:1

the whole "Judge not least you be judged" that people love to use as PROOF that Christians aren't allowed to 'judge' anyone AT ALL.

Unfortunately for the simpletons who try to use our own bible against us, the completely miss the point of the verse by taking only part of it and not reading the following verses that give it context.

"Judge not, that you be not judged.
For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged;
and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

This is clearly saying we should be CAREFUL when we judge, because what ever standards we hold others to, we will also be held to. It's telling us not to judge hypocritically, this is confirmed with the next part:

"and why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?

Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye"

This, at least in the way I read it, is not Jesus telling us to 'never judge' people, but rather telling us that if we judge someone, to make sure we do it without being guilty of the same thing. To not be 'hypocrites'. I also like to take example from Jesus himself as an example of 'how to judge'.
Whenever Jesus judged a person guilty of sin, he did so from a position of love. He didn't say to people "You're filthy scum and you're going to hell!" He said to them, you know what you're doing is wrong, so go and sin no more.
RoosterOnAStick
I believe the When is it ok to judge people's faith thread in this forum is pretty much dedicated to how we apply Matthew 7:1.

Shall we hop over to that thread to continue this one further? :D
“If the history of the 20th Century proved anything, it proved that however bad things were, human ingenuity could usually find a way to make them worse.” - Theodore Dalrymple