THE BIG PROJECT: Space Marine Armor

Let your creative side be seen by others. Share your writings, visual arts, created music, and anything else here. Also the place for forum-based role playing.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Thanks! With that, I have all of the foam components of the suit itself. Now I need to build the backpack.

I still need to build all of the suit's internals above the knee, add decorations, seal the foam, plasti-dip it, paint it, and finishing touches. I don't think I'm even halfway through this project yet.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
coming along nicely though!
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
The deuce. It looks amazing, even now.

I'm actually excited to see the finished project. XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks!

The trickiest part is going to be creating the knee joints and arm joints. Most of the builds I've seen online attach metal strips to the foam directly, and I'm trying to avoid that. I don't want the foam itself to serve any structural purpose if I can possibly avoid it. It should be purely cosmetic.

I'm also pondering how I want to do the joints in the arms. My buddy's armor has the gauntlets permanently attached to the forearms such that they do not rotate, and the shoulder pauldrons are attached to the sides of the chest plate, not the shoulders. That severely restricts his freedom of movement in the arms. If you look back at that video I posted on the 27th of September you can see he needs someone else to put his helmet on for him because he can't reach (2:12 in the video). I'm trying to think of a way to get more flexibility without things flopping all over.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
So more progress on the armor...

Added some rubber mat material to the sole of the boot on one side to try it out. It looks messy but I wasn't really going for neatness, since this part isn't meant to be seen and will be modified more before all is said and done. Mainly I wanted to have some traction but also to cover the bolt heads so I can walk on various surfaces without gouging them. I think I will need to do some more work on making sure the sole is still level, because the right boot seems to tilt to the right a little now.

Also added some snaps to the straps to make leg supports. The idea is that the straps will wrap around the lower PEX skeleton of the shin plates, and have some room to move while still shifting the weight of the legs to the feet instead of hanging down from me.

The picture below shows the right leg (on your left) which has the supports snapped and working, and the left boot without them. The right leg seems to be riding a bit high, but I'll make final adjustments to everything once the legs are all complete and I can wear them with the lower torso.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great ideas implemented there!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Thanks, though I think I'm gonna rip the material off of the soles of the boot and start again, covering the whole thing with a single sheet. Then I may layer a bit more where the bolt heads are, we'll see.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It would be more even that way too
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That's what I'm hoping. My fear is that the leaning is from a flaw in the way I assembled the PVC stilts. If it isn't too bad i should be able to compensate by adding spacers somewhere, since I'd rather not have to build a new PVC frame. Fortunately, I am building the armor in such a way that even if I did have to it wouldn't be a catastrophe, but still.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
better to discover and fix earlier than later....
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Testify.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I'm not sure how thick your board is, but you could try countersinking the bolts and hiding them that way.

Good engineering though. ^_^
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Heh thanks.

Actually the boards are very thin. Since they were never meant to be structural, I used a thin material to keep weight down. Now I'm thinking it might be good to add a thicker layer underneath to do exactly that.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I'm in the phase of the project where I'm going back and doing the little details, which is a lot less interesting but nevertheless are critical for this thing to work.

First, I redid the soles of the boots. I hated the way they were before and took a simpler approach and just covered the whole thing with the rubber material.

Next, I added heel backstops to the stilts so my feet wouldn't slide backward as I walked around. It was successful, and I was able to practice walking some more in the stilts.

Finished adding the snaps and trimming the webbing to complete the stilt straps.

I wanted the trim on the shins to look like it was riveted in place, so I got some googly eyes from Michael's and glued them on. Once everything's painted up, they'll look like rivet heads.

This is an adornment I put on the right shin. Since this armor is the Armor of Faith, awarded to the Emperor's Champion, it's going to need a lot of decoration. Obviously, it still needs painting.

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's gonna look slick, keep up the good work!