Christian couple divorcing in protest to gay marriage

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!

(language warning!)

sin + sin = sin
storm
Gamer
Gamer
Marriage of a man and a woman will be honored by God. But throwing it away saying the laws of man trump our promise to God is stupid. All they did was look like insane and in same category as my neighbor down the road who brags constantly on how many he has lead to God and how many he has proven are not really Christian (as judged according to his idea of what is saved and by his personal prayer of confession you must do) He told me since I couldnt remember my mom making a confession of faith before she was killed she was most likely in hell
OK my mom died when i was 9 she sang and hummed Christian tunes all the time taught me to judge the heart not the skin. And how to pray to God when I was upset or hurt, and that God loved me when my dad didn't. I sadly put this couple in same boat as neighbor. The boat drowning sinners swim AWAY from.
They got their 15 minutes of fame as they say around here, and all they had to do is make a joke out of God and traditional marriage And like the guy down the road they turned even more away from His love and salvation. Was it worth tossing all that out the window ? What did you prove by it ?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Language in the video.

I disagree with some of what they are saying but I also agree with a lot of it. I agree that the couple is probably looking for publicity, and that divorce seems like a really silly response to the ruling. It makes me wonder what their actual motive was, and whether they will be living together in the future. However, the quality of the hosts' reasoning was somewhat low: They seemed to think that because the laws against eating unclean foods were irrelevant, the rest of the OT was also irrelevant. Most of what God told John was now unnecessary had to do with unclean things; Jesus' sacrifice made all foods clean. The hosts also were adamant that gay marriage would NOT lead to polygamy, saying that comparing gay marriage to a gateway drug was ridiculous, and then spent the rest of the video talking about how God said polygamy was ok. Seems a little silly to dismiss polygamy as unrelated and then spend 3 minutes talking about how the part of the Bible that they were just told was irrelevant said it was ok.

Both parties haven't thought this through fully. ;)
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
sorry put a warning in my post
Sstavix
CCGR addict
The hosts (or were they supposed to be news anchors? Hard to tell...) certainly weren't exactly objective in their analysis of the story, and they did the same "pick and choose" aspects of the Bible that they accuse most Christians of doing. But aside from their own obvious biases, let's look at the couple at hand!

Frankly, I think the whole idea of getting a divorce as a form of protest to be silly, at best. Who do you hope to convince of your cause by getting a divorce? I highly doubt the government is going to change its mind just because you "untie the knot." Really, is it worth sacrificing your spirituality to make a political statement? If they are willing to put the affairs of the world over their standing with God, then they have their priorities backwards. Either that, or there's more going on in their relationship than they are letting on, and are using this form of protest as an excuse to get a divorce.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I got about a third of the way through the video. The analysis being done here was more about ridiculing this couple and badly mis-analyzing where this couple is coming from and I didn't want to hear anymore.

I think the idea of divorcing in protest is stupid, if for no other reason than they're saying they don't want to recognize the Government's role in marriage anymore and yet they want to get a divorce.... well guess what entity handles the divorce? That would be the Government through the courts. I think it's about getting attention and a good deal of publicity seeking.

But maybe it doesn't matter. Welcome to America where marriage doesn't mean squat anymore.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArcticFox wrote:I got about a third of the way through the video. The analysis being done here was more about ridiculing this couple and badly mis-analyzing where this couple is coming from and I didn't want to hear anymore.

I think the idea of divorcing in protest is stupid, if for no other reason than they're saying they don't want to recognize the Government's role in marriage anymore and yet they want to get a divorce.... well guess what entity handles the divorce? That would be the Government through the courts. I think it's about getting attention and a good deal of publicity seeking.

But maybe it doesn't matter. Welcome to America where marriage doesn't mean squat anymore.
You made it that far? I turned it off after the ten seconds.

But to be fair, these folks are from Australia; apparently SSM is still illegal there.

Why do you think marriage doesn't mean squat here in the US? My marriage means a lot to me.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote: Why do you think marriage doesn't mean squat here in the US? My marriage means a lot to me.
Mine means a lot to me too, I just meant culturally... And I don't even mean gay marriage when I say that. Even before all this stuff started the divorce rate was at record highs with the average length of a marriage being somewhere around 10 years, if I recall correctly.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think many people view marriage as disposable or only valid when convenient. What ever happened to through rich and through poor and til death do us part?
Saphiyah
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:I think many people view marriage as disposable or only valid when convenient. What ever happened to through rich and through poor and til death do us part?
Oh, for sure. I've read on tons of relationship advice forums where this one person has a problem (like the husband plays too many video games and doesn't help around the house) and everyone automatically cries, "He's an immature slob! You don't deserve that! Divorce him and get a real man!" What happened to communication, understanding, compromise, etc? I'm sure there are two sides to the story....yeah, he should be more active around the house, but maybe that's his stress relief? Maybe he doesn't realize how fed up she is?

But yeah, as far as the divorcing couple goes...I think it's ridiculous. Ruining your own marriage isn't having any impact on gay marriage, I think it simply makes you look bad.
storm
Gamer
Gamer
It to me was a Christian couple(so they say ) doing a stupid thing that doesn't bring honor to God covered by people who claim ot be professionals (by fact they are news peps not that they said it) acting stupid
It was a who was more ignorant. It is sad when to show your faith you feel you must go against God's own commandments. And I too wander if they will after their divorce live in sin together thus making a even great mockery of God's laws. We are to follow His commandments not rewrite them. God will judge the people who passed the law(s) as well as the same sex people who get married . We are to voice our opinion and what God tells us but we must walk a fine line not to forget who is in control and try to take His place
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
storm
Gamer
Gamer
i know there will be one or more who will disagree with me That is their choice. I am having hard time putting my thoughts in type But the thing is we can disagree AND we can discuss. God's will or commandments as we have been taught. But when we go against His will to prove our point we walk a dangerous path. I am glad to be in a server where we can disagree and still hold onto our faith. In the end when we stand before God He will sort out who is and isn't His children
And who did or did not honor Him
May God bless and keep you all and may He bring the lost back into His fold
Arashi
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
"While their legal marital status will change, Nick, the Director of the Lachlan Macquarie Institute, told the magazine he and Sarah will continue to live together, have more children, and refer to each other as husband and wife."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/10/coupl ... z3iC8ePpZD

Just to be fair, they claim to be discarding the "government's regulation of marriage". I would guess they do/will still consider themselves married before God.

The only Biblical grounds for divorce is unfaithfulness, and that is a concession. Marriage is a reflection of God's relationship with us, and time and time again He has not divorced us despite our unfaithfulness.

But again, they would probably say that they aren't "really" getting divorced, just rejecting the government aspect.

However, will there come a time when Christians marry without doing so "legally" because of the government's perversion of it? Is it OK for a couple to do that? We can't say a couple is sinning because they aren't getting the governments validation of their marriage. And, for the sake of argument, what if heterosexual marriage ever became illegal? Would Christians be unable to marry in God's eyes?

But I still think this is a poor move. It's making a big scene, and not leading anyone toward Biblical marriage or God.