10 toxic Christians in the church today

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
That's a great article that really makes you think. I've seen myself in a couple of those categories, myself. Something to ponder, and makes you want to try and find a way to change.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amen :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I agree with the author that we've probably all been some of those things at one point or another.

I can think of a couple more kinds of toxic Christians that didn't make the list.

11) The "I'm Better Than You" Christian.

I've encountered this one a LOT, and denomination means nothing. I've seen Catholics, Protestants and Mormons act like this and it's the one that irritates me the most. They're better than you because they more closely fit the stereotypical image of what an ideal Christian should be. They're the Catholics who absolutely do not ever miss Mass, and go twice a week or more. They're the Protestants who refuse to watch any movie not produced by a Christian studio. They're the Mormons who won't drink Pepsi. The thing they all have in common is that they believe they're better at Christianity than you are because you don't push yourself to the heights they do. They follow arbitrary rules, they do not engage their brain, and they think Jesus loves them more than the rest of us Pepsi drinking movie watching tattoo wearing people who struggle to make it to Church even once a week.

12) The "Thinking For Yourself is Bad" Christian

Similar to the original 4) "Follow the Rules Christian they believe in an absolute adherence to certain ideas so extremely that they are afraid to think for themselves. Yes, the Bible tells ups to be like children, in that children trust in their parents completely as we must trust in God, but God doesn't want Christians to be mental mushrooms. I've literally been told that Evolution is false because if you take a plant and move it into an environment it isn't suited for it will die, not evolve. This guy doesn't even understand Evolution well enough to refute it, but he never felt the need to learn it because all of his knowledge comes from the Bible alone. (One wonders what he does for a living, since the Bible didn't teach me how to fix cars or program computers, but whatevs.) Mind you, I'm still an Evolution skeptic, and even so I'm embarrassed for this guy.

13) The "I'm a wiser Christian Than Them" Christian.

That's the one I'm guilty of right now. And so is the author of the article.

Proverbs 16:18
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
storm
Gamer
Gamer
it is the Pharisee type that bother me. Weather they are Christian (or think they are), or follow their own or their cults idea of what and who God is. They love to cut others down who disagree and shout to all how Godly they are.
They remind me of several Bible verses but Matthew 7: 21-23 comes to mind
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
Great article, thanks for posting. I'm gonna post it in my FB page...

7.) THE “I LOVE JESUS BUT NOT THE CHURCH” CHRISTIAN. - Another view, Jesus loved the church. The church is the bride of Christ. Christ and the Church cannot be separated. We also ought to love the Church. Jesus loves the Church and us even though we aren't perfect.

9.) THE “LOVES TO PICK A FIGHT” CHRISTIAN - When I realized that winning arguments is not winning souls, it was freeing. I can talk to someone about God and Spiritual Matters before I do heavy research. Apologetics is important and helpful, and convincing someone's mind can lead to convincing their heart, but it's usually the other way around.

10.) THE “YOU CAN’T TALK ABOUT THAT IN CHURCH” CHRISTIAN - Oh Christians, we need to let this go. We NEED to talk about these things. Not everything has an easy answer, which probably means we need to talk more about it, not less. I would include confession in this. Protestants, we need to confess our sins to one another as well. We need to stop pretending that we have it all together. We need to not expect perfection from our brothers and sisters. We need help when we fall.

:D