You're Free to Toke Up. But Don't.

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chachi
Noob
Noob
This is a good article on the future of marijuana and where are faith stands on the issue. In my opinion it reads that if its not necessary or beneficial to the body then we shouldn't take it. So if medically prescribe based on issues of faith it's all good or is it?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201 ... -grow.html
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
How this article reads: "Oh, you can totally smoke weed if you want to when it's legal, but isn't it more fun to get on a high horse and look down your nose at folks who do? As Christians we're free to do whatever we want, but if you step out of line you'd better believe we'll pile on the guilt."

I've spent the last two months in some pretty excruciating pain due to arthritis. I don't live in a state where medical marijuana is legal (yet), but if it was and it helped with my pain you'd better believe that I would try it. And while I'm not really a fan of pot (tried it a handful of times, did not care much for it), I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to toke up and they aren't hurting anybody then it's really none of my freaking business.

But yeah, if you want to alienate even more people from the church, then go ahead and make a mountain out of that molehill.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I didn't really get that tone from the article, but I found it pretty bland in any case. If you've read the title of the article you've prettymuch read the content of the article.

It did come off to me a little passive aggressive though.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
In a nation where cigarettes and alcohol are legal, I don't really get where the resistance to marijuana comes from, especially considering emergent medical research.

From a Christian standpoint, there's a ton of medicinal uses for it and it's less addictive than both alcohol and nicotine. It can be utilized for chemotherapy patients and (potentially, now) for anxiety disorders and even PTSD. But, you know, Jesus, so whatever
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Bruce_Campbell wrote:How this article reads: "Oh, you can totally smoke weed if you want to when it's legal, but isn't it more fun to get on a high horse and look down your nose at folks who do? As Christians we're free to do whatever we want, but if you step out of line you'd better believe we'll pile on the guilt."
Well, how else are some people going to get high if they're not on a high horse?

(I kid. Mostly. :P )
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Horses smoke weed?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
coffeeblocks33
Noob
Noob
I come from a Christian faith tradition that frowns upon drinking any alcohol. This seemed a bit prudish till I learned where that tradition came from. It began as a ministry to homeless men and women on the streets of LA around the turn of the 20th century. Many of the homeless struggled and suffered from alcohol abuse. They learned that even the smallest bit of alcohol (say from taking communion) was enough to send some back to heavy drinking. It was out of this situation, concern for a brother or sister in Christ, that alcohol was prohibited completely.

As Christians we have great liberty in what we can do. Instead of trying to make absolute, objective judgements about these situations... maybe we should ask ourselves, "How might my liberty in this circumstance affect my brothers and sisters in Christ?" Love for the other, must always be the overriding ethic for Christ-followers.