German atheists seek recognition for 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster'

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Weekly “Noodle Worship” begins at 10 a.m. Fridays in a small building on Weida’s farmstead on the outskirts of town. It looks and feels somewhat like weekly worship services at mainstream Christian churches. There is an altar, time for prayers, scripture readings, hymns, and even a version of Holy Communion. But the similarities end pretty quickly.
http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-02-23/g ... ti-monster
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
But the similarities end pretty quickly.
I wouldn't have guessed :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
They may not believe in the Abrahamic God, but they do seem to believe in something. What exactly that is can be debatable. But they have worship services, they have rituals, they even have concepts of the afterlife... can they really be classified as "atheists" at this point?

Unless, of course, they're willing to admit that the whole thing is a joke... but then they would lose their attempt to be recognized as a legitimate church in Germany. That's really not much of a foundation to build a spiritual life on. :lol:

It may be an amusing idea, but seems more like some sort of fraternity prank rather than an attempt to find the Truth. Those who are seeking God and are more spiritually minded will quickly figure out that this isn't the place for what they seek.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I wonder if they do spaghetti dinners instead of traditional potlucks ;)
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
ccgr wrote:I wonder if they do spaghetti dinners instead of traditional potlucks ;)
Maybe that's their version of the Eucharist? :P
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
a raw spaghetti noodle!
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
These are my noodles, broken for you. *cracks long noodles in half and drops into boiling water*

This is my sauce, spilled for the redemption of sins. *pour*
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Hey, now... as ludicrous as their religion sounds to us, it might be good to remember the "Golden Rule." In other words, if we don't want them to mock and ridicule Christianity, we really shouldn't be mocking and ridiculing their Flying Spaghetti Monster / Pastafarian beliefs. Sorry to rain on the parade, but "do unto others" came to mind while I was reading (and admittedly, chuckling) at some of the responses.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I laughed too.
In Weida’s church, wine and bread are replaced by beer and, you guessed it, cooked strands of spaghetti. “Amen” is replaced by “Ramen," and at the end of the service there are exhortations of “Beer-alleluia.”
Now I'm hoping I don't accidentally say ramen in public prayer
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
They need to throw in some meatballs. And maybe replace the beer with some rum and cola. And make it later in the day. I mean, I would go for some free spaghetti and meatballs.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
You know how they have different branches/denominations of Christians?

I wonder if Pastafarians will divide into spaghetti sauce variants 1st Church of Ragu, Church of Prego, United Alfredo church and so on.

Christians bicker over submersion or sprinkle baptism, the same goes for them and their meatballs according to my twitter. ;)

WWFSMD?
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
This topic is seriously making me hungry for spaghetti. I've got the stuff for it, but I was going to use the ground beef for chili. But then I don't have a jalapeño for the chili either... decisions, decisions....
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
DaBossOfTheWorld
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:I wonder if they do spaghetti dinners instead of traditional potlucks ;)
Probably not.
Emwok
CCGR addict
You guys supplied me with a funny topic for a Current Issue Response for my English class. Thanks for the topic and the laughs!
Spoiler:

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
happy to help!