Y-Chromosomal Adam Lived 208,300 Years Ago

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Consider this mind blower.

The earliest historical info we have is about 6,000 years old. That means that 97% of human history has been lost.

Now consider the implications of that. It took us 6,000 years to go from stone carvings to putting a man on the Moon and inventing the double down hot dog. That cycle could have taken place over 33 times since 200,000 years ago.

How many times has civilization risen and fallen on this planet already? Are there things on the Moon built by Man in a previous iteration? Is that why all the secrecy on some of the recent lunar imaging projects?

Puts a whole new spin on the question of UFOs, doesn't it?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Interesting hypothesis, but I'll wait until we (hopefully) go back to the moon to see. :P
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:Consider this mind blower.

The earliest historical info we have is about 6,000 years old. That means that 97% of human history has been lost.

Now consider the implications of that. It took us 6,000 years to go from stone carvings to putting a man on the Moon and inventing the double down hot dog. That cycle could have taken place over 33 times since 200,000 years ago.

How many times has civilization risen and fallen on this planet already? Are there things on the Moon built by Man in a previous iteration? Is that why all the secrecy on some of the recent lunar imaging projects?

IIRC large settlements couldn't come about until the dawn of agriculture
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote:

And he's saying that, perhaps, this has happened. And large cities and civilizations were created. They may have colonized the moon, and perhaps even Mars. And then, for whatever reason, these civilizations were destroyed, and reduced to so much dust, that nothing remained and nothing could be found of them.

Perhaps the double-down dog destroyed these ancient civilizations.....

This concept actually has been explored by other authors (Robert Jordan comes to mind). I don't think we have any way of proving it's true, but it sure is a fun thing to speculate about!
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
ChickenSoup wrote:

Which didn't happen until we discovered alcohol. Just saying guys.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Which is too important to forget for large periods of time, as Arctic is implying. QED :P

But seriously.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
I dunno man, maybe an earlier civilization, or species even, discovered alcohol and treated it like a god, until they eventually just forgot everything.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: And he's saying that, perhaps, this has happened. And large cities and civilizations were created. They may have colonized the moon, and perhaps even Mars. And then, for whatever reason, these civilizations were destroyed, and reduced to so much dust, that nothing remained and nothing could be found of them.

Perhaps the double-down dog destroyed these ancient civilizations.....

This concept actually has been explored by other authors (Robert Jordan comes to mind). I don't think we have any way of proving it's true, but it sure is a fun thing to speculate about!
Indeed.

If you've never watched the show "Life After Humans" you should check it out. Each episode focuses on a major city and describes what would happen if, all of a sudden, human beings just vanished. Power plants would operate for a few days before automated systems failed, over the years plants would regrow, buildings would collapse, etc.

What struck me about the show as just how completely evidence of our modern civilization would be utterly obliterated. In 1,000 years you'd never know an advanced technological culture ever existed on this planet. Ironically, the Great Pyramids would be standing long after anything we ever built was completely gone.

So yeah, if there were civilizations like ours here before, we'd have no way of knowing it.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well, maybe.

As you said, things like the great pyramid are still standing today (Fun, mind-blowing fact: The time difference between now and the time of Cleopatra is greater than the time difference between Cleopatra and the building of the Great Pyramid.), so if previous civilizations advanced like ours, where is the evidence for precursor civilizations? Or was the suggestion that we had something like our civilization between the ancient cultures and now?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Well, maybe.

As you said, things like the great pyramid are still standing today (Fun, mind-blowing fact: The time difference between now and the time of Cleopatra is greater than the time difference between Cleopatra and the building of the Great Pyramid.), so if previous civilizations advanced like ours, where is the evidence for precursor civilizations? Or was the suggestion that we had something like our civilization between the ancient cultures and now?
The former...

But that's the thing. I'll have to look it up, but I heard once of an ancient stone structure somewhere in South America (I think it was Chile, maybe Argentina) that they think might be something like 18,000 years old. That would put it easily in one of many possible timelines for a previous civilization cycle.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think I've heard about that, but I don't remember details...

Also interesting is Teotihuacan. The Aztecs named the city, and discovered it nearly a millenia after it's estimated construction. That's right, discovered. You see, the city was sacked around the 7th century CE (Not an uncommon occurrence for Mesoamerican cultures, see also the Maya), and when the Aztecs discovered it, they found nothing indicating who had lived there before. Which is why they named it Teotihuacan, or "Place where the gods are born", as they believed it be built by the gods.

We know shockingly little about the people who inhabited Teotihuacan. What were their gods named? What did they look like? Why did they practice seemingly-rampant ritual human sacrifice? Who knows.

Also, it encompassed about 32 Square Kilometers. I believe we've only excavated some 25% of it. So many things lie buried, who knows what they may hold?

I should become an archaeologist. XD
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Quick check: we are all in agreement that history is amazing. Right? XD