London permitted parents to Euthanize their child

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://afajournal.org/recent-issues/201 ... -daughter/

A few cases it looks like: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life- ... rs-4509235

Wonder how long it will take before this happens on our shores..
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:
Wonder how long it will take before this happens on our shores..
Parents permitted to euthanize their child? It's already happening - it's called abortion.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
I see nothing wrong with this. That girl was in terrible, incurable pain. Would it have been more humane to let her suffer? Or starve her to death over months, as was the other option? Life isn't a fairy tale, happy endings don't happen in cases like this.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's definitely not an easy choice, I would not want my kids to suffer but now the parents will have to suffer as they live with the consequences right or not. It's a situation where everyone loses.

Sstavix - Abortion is killing healthy and viable pregnancies that are merely inconvenient (a good majority of the time), now we're heading down a path where it will soon be okay to terminate the lives of undesirables that cannot defend or sustain themselves I fear
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Orodrist wrote:I see nothing wrong with this. That girl was in terrible, incurable pain. Would it have been more humane to let her suffer? Or starve her to death over months, as was the other option? Life isn't a fairy tale, happy endings don't happen in cases like this.
Yeah, I'm not really sure how to feel.

"THEY SHOULD HAVE LET HER LIVE THROUGH YEARS OF AGONY LIKE GOOD PARENTS"
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I have a serious problem with the AFA and the way they wag their finger at people like this mother who have faced/are facing impossible situations. According to the UK Mirror article, Nancy was in constant pain and was being kept alive artificially. What was the mother supposed to do? Because if I was only being kept alive by a feeding tube and was in constant pain despite being on constant morphine and ketamine drips, I sure as heck would want someone to let me die in peace.

As for consequences... if there's an omnipotent God out there who has a problem with the choice this mother made, that's a God I have no interest in serving.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
What I meant by consequences is guilt, I'm sure not one day will go by where they don't think about her.
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Orodrist wrote:I see nothing wrong with this. That girl was in terrible, incurable pain. Would it have been more humane to let her suffer? Or starve her to death over months, as was the other option? Life isn't a fairy tale, happy endings don't happen in cases like this.
ChickenSoup wrote:"THEY SHOULD HAVE LET HER LIVE THROUGH YEARS OF AGONY LIKE GOOD PARENTS"
Bruce_Campbell wrote:According to the UK Mirror article, Nancy was in constant pain and was being kept alive artificially. What was the mother supposed to do? Because if I was only being kept alive by a feeding tube and was in constant pain despite being on constant morphine and ketamine drips, I sure as heck would want someone to let me die in peace.
I see what you guys are saying - she was miserable and the parents felt that it was best for her. I totally agree. The problem is when it becomes more common. Who gets to decide how much pain the child is in? Who decides who gets to make that decision? If the child is not able to communicate, how can you tell how much pain he is in? It seems like getting permission to euthanize is a difficult process at the moment, which is probably a good thing. Kind of like how we only whitelist people on the server after they put in the effort to make a couple posts - it filters out the ones who don't really care. As more cases come along, the process is going to get easier because people can point to other cases in which the child was euthanized. It's easier, yes, but it's also easier for parents who aren't really that invested in their child to get him off their hands. From the article:
Dr Andrew Fergusson wrote:Weakening laws that protect the sick, disabled and elderly would put vulnerable people at risk.

And what starts as a law to help people can be used to terminate disabled babies as happened in Holland and Belgium, the only EU states with legal euthanasia.
Bruce_Campbell wrote:As for consequences... if there's an omnipotent God out there who has a problem with the choice this mother made, that's a God I have no interest in serving.
I don't really know whether He had a problem with her choice. It would be a really hard decision to have to make - I definitely don't want to be in their place. However, I know that if parents are making this decision based on their own reasons rather than considering what is best for the child, God's going to have a problem with that.
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
It can be a slippery slope. Euthanizing a child who cannot live without life support and goes through every waking moment with unfathomable pain is a long way from exterminating all disabled or elderly.

I agree that the laws should make it somewhat difficult. I can see where abuse could come into play.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
storm
Gamer
Gamer
when kept alive only by tubes then as bad as it is i can understand it as a personal choice it is like those who chose not to have life saving actions done on them (do not resuscitate I think it is called ) But in the late 30's and early 40's there were places in Florida that were sterilizing mental patients at their place without telling anyone, Hitler had people who were not "normal" according to their standards sterilized or killed, people don't realize but almost as many people with disabilities (dwarfs or midgets) and even gypsies were killed in his extermination camps, Russia, Germany America (without the government's knowledge but still done) lots of countries have at one point decided what was normal and what to do with the ones that didn't fit the mold This is the danger yes someone on total life support maybe should be turned off Ive known of one in my life that they actually lived so who knows But it is the question of when do we stop what is the line that can't be crossed and who decides it
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” Greg King