Very troubled

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Skogkatt
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Hello fellow brethren players,

Guys, I am very perplexed about the following matter. During holidays I started playing FF14 (had posted earlier for possibly finding Christians there) I liked the game bought it ok. Found some good folks to play with and then as I was browsing game services, I came across the Ceremony of Eternal Bonding which is nothing else than in game character marriage. On first look it seems nice but the immediate question which popped in my head was "Do they allow same sex character marriage?", (someone heard and...) today some new ppl where to join our guild. And to my "surprise", after some introductory RP and round table discussion, the female character sitting in front of me goes to fetch her "wifey"....having the female in front I didn't even pay attention and was expecting a male char to pop in and there you have it...another female comes. So I drop the question and I get to know that yes, the game normally allows same sex character marriage. And I went coo coo.
Now, don't get me wrong. God says we are to love everyone. But not to accept sin. So this is where my problem came up. And that is if by playing the game I am actually supporting defiling God's institution between man and woman = marriage. They don't call it marriage ceremony but eternal bonding and crap like that, but any standard thinking individual can perceive that these are words of avoidance that have to do with possible ethical issues raising up from belief holding players. Or so I see it.
No matter what Square names it, it comes down to a human and personal level. When you don't tell someone the truth it's like accepting the wrong they are doing. And of course I don't mean wailing around calling people sinners.....lol. But given it's a game, and many people just play without opening up (with some exceptions and even God driven ones) how do you come to people like this and tell them , well, I'm sorry but the burden for your soul in my heart obligates me to tell you that if you die right now you are going to hell plus you are missing on the greatest love ever on this world and true happiness found in Christ alone? Two options, quiting the game or keeping it up. Let's say keeping it up.
Ok, so I'm going to stay in a guild (out of respect to the people who helped me) that tolerates that and by so doing, multiplies this message, to possibly young people who play. And you are going to say, well, young people are more informed that you and me nowadays and they can choose. But then I'll say how many people are daily given the opportunity to hear a testimony from a born again believer? Because if you are, you will know that this is what makes the difference than theory and dogma talk.
Guys, seriously. I'm perplexed and even more because another matter which nudges me is missionary gaming. Because if you think about it, playing an MMO can give countless opportunities to speak to people. Or maybe not. I guess if God is really involved in this it then can happen. It happened to me when I was playing WoW. I met some people and we were both edified in our faith. I quited the game after some time and that was years ago.
I know this is case sensitive kind of issue, but it just bugs me a lot because I've been through stuff and I just know how destructive the spirit of homosexuality is and how it blinds people and leads them straight to hell. As well as other sins of course but even the Bible dedicates a whole chapter in Romans about it, so we know it's extra important.
I had a good feeling about playing this game and I can't say I've lost it now but I need to be sure I am doing the right thing. I'm just angry to the homosexuality promotion as something normal. It's not. It's not and it will never. I protest. But isn't this a protest people need to hear? It's a protest of love not discrimination. A protest for the souls being lost.
I don't know guys I need your thoughts AND prayers on this.

Thanks and God bless.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that.

Martin Luther
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's a tough call for sure, I wouldn't be endorsing that behavior either. I tend to avoid games that promote homosexual relationships. That last MMO I played was a trial of Elder Scrolls, since Skyrim allows it I wouldn't be surprised if the MMO does as well. There are probably better alternatives out there. Guild Wars 2 is fun, not sure if it has marriage but it doesn't have monthly fees....
Skogkatt
Noob
Noob
Guildwars 2 doesn't have marriage system service as far as I know, but it does promote homosexuality through the story mode it has integrated. Some of the characters are homosexuals.
We need Christians in game developing teams :/

Martin Luther
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's been a while since I played it, didn't remember that part. Drinking violence and language I recall.
Skogkatt
Noob
Noob
It was part of the story mode. You can level up without necessarily following the story mode. And I was playing Sylvari which is the flower tribe and maybe it was included in that story mode only.

Martin Luther
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
ooh yeah now I remember, my husband played that race. Wasn't in my story line, I played the giant human race, forgot what they're called
Sstavix
CCGR addict
It really depends on how the Holy Spirit directs you. Have you prayed about this situation? If so, what kind of information or feedback have you received?

Speaking from my experiences playing World of Warcraft years ago, it really depends on how you play your character - especially on role-playing servers. It's entirely possible that the players controlling the characters have no homosexual inclinations whatsoever, but by playing their characters, they are able to work on storylines and roles. It would be like a "straight" actor playing a homosexual on-stage.

Now, where does that stand with you? That depends on how you feel, and how the spirit guides you.

Incidentally, playing your roles doesn't have to bind yourself only to homosexual situations. Since I was married when I played WoW, I arranged my characters' backstories in such a fashion that they wouldn't ever fall in love or even risk the possibility of marriage. I didn't want to role-play any situations that would make me feel like I was cheating on my wife, even if it was in an artificial, virtual environment.

Of course, that doesn't mean that others can't do that, if they're so inclined. And it isn't my position to judge them based on their characters' actions, either (for example, the actor who portrays Judas in passion plays might be a really nice guy in real life!) It gets back to the idea of a personal relationship with Heavenly Father - emphasis on "personal." You can't speak for others, and you can't really judge others. Heavenly Father is the ultimate judge, so worry more about your own standing with Him, and let Him decide the fates of others based on their actions.

Just my thoughts on the situation! I hope they help!
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
You're playing a game in which homosexuality exists. You're not doing anything about it, right? I mean, there aren't quests that make you put up "support gay marriage" signs or something about it?

My point being that you also live in a world in which homosexuality exists and you're not sinning by existing. I'm not sure how existing within the game world would be sinful because it contains things that real life does.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Skogkatt
Noob
Noob
Point there. Yeah it somehow got clearer within me that existing, as you put it, in the game world under conditions that apply anyway is not in itself a sin.

Martin Luther
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Right. It is one thing to make you act on it in some way or something, but if you would have to go out of your way to have actually done anything related to it, and it just happens to exist within the universe (or other players who log in are homosexual)...
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested