Reccomendations?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Emwok
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Yesterday I went to Gamestop to sell TFU for PSP and found out that they wouldn't take it. I also wanted to buy TFU2 for PC and they didn't have it there so I bought a $20 Steam code instead. I just did a system check and found out that my computer can't run TFU2 so I am not going to buy it. Also, the Steam winter sale is coming up so I am going to save my money to buy Starbound if it goes on sale (I will have extra money afterwards). There are lots of games that I want but I don't really know what to buy. Do y'all have suggestions for good games that would be worth buying during the Steam winter sale?
Last edited by Emwok on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Remind me again... what genre(s) of game do you like to play?

Also, go ahead and share what your computer specs are. It wouldn't do any good to recommend a game your machine couldn't run, after all!

Finally... what is TFU?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I think it's The Force Unleashed
Emwok
CCGR addict
Yes, TFU is The Force Unleashed. My favorite genres are Indie, Action, Fantasy, FPS, RPG, and Multiplayer (online games and campaign games with co-op (like Portal 2)). I also love games with cool pixel art (Terraria, Bro-Force) and some games that are fast-paced (like Savant: Ascent). Star Wars games are also something I like, but I have most of the ones I really want(ed). I have also been looking at realMyst but I haven't played any games like that so I don't know yet whether I like them or not. Puzzle games like Anti-Chamber look fun too.

My computer is not a gaming computer by any stretch of the imagination. I have an Intel CORE i3 and my graphics card is an Intel HD 4000. My hard drive is 418 GB with 141 GB free.
Spoiler:

Wildebear
Emwok wrote:Yes, TFU is The Force Unleashed. My favorite genres are Indie, Action, Fantasy, FPS, RPG, and Multiplayer (online games and campaign games with co-op (like Portal 2)). I also love games with cool pixel art (Terraria, Bro-Force) and some games that are fast-paced (like Savant: Ascent). Star Wars games are also something I like, but I have most of the ones I really want(ed). I have also been looking at realMyst but I haven't played any games like that so I don't know yet whether I like them or not. Puzzle games like Anti-Chamber look fun too.

My computer is not a gaming computer by any stretch of the imagination. I have an Intel CORE i3 and my graphics card is an Intel HD 4000. My hard drive is 418 GB with 141 GB free.
If you're a Telltale games fan; they're releasing the Game of Thrones series. Their games are quite good. Wolves Among Us and Walking Dead got good scores. Episode 1 has been released, though I usually wait until they've released all six episodes as Telltale likes cliffhangers. I've also heard that "War of Mine" is pretty interesting. It's a platformer of some sorts. I don't have steam so it's slightly difficult to tell what they have for sale :mrgreen:

I've also been "Deus vult'ing" my way through the Middle East in Crusader Kings 2 and just annoying the Ottomans in Europa Universalis IV Art of War for the past few months.
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
TDog9631
Actually with those specs you can probably run it. I have a cheap laptop. Intel Pentium, HD4000 and 4 GB ram and I can run stuff with with system requirements higher than those of TFU2 with some tweaking (SC Blacklist, Planetside 2, BF3).
BUT. And this a big one. The game's performance may not be good. SC Blacklist runs okay on the lowest settings, but if I turn it up any farther than that it lags really badly. If you have 4 gigs of RAM andyou've optimized your computer pretty well, you'd probably be able to run it.
As for recommendations, Starbound is a lot of fun, especially if you can get some friends together on a server. If you don't have it already KOTOR is amazing. SpeedRunners is fun but kinda like Starbound is better played with friends.
Steam: bE.(Insert witty name) Origin: TDog9631 Battle.net:TDog9631#1737
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Warning those Telltale games have a lot of language and violence in them
Wildebear
ccgr wrote:Warning those Telltale games have a lot of language and violence in them
As ccgr pointed out, yes, but if you like investigation games you might want to look at Sam and max. The website indicates that they're available on steam. I've only played demos of the various episodes and they're a bit dated now, but they still have Telltale's touch (if you've played any of their other titles).
“Conquer yourself rather than the world.”
― René Descartes
Emwok
CCGR addict
I checked out Telltale's site and as cool as their games look, they just don't seem like something I would enjoy all that much. I enjoy games that are arcade style or look like they're arcade style. Thanks for trying though and thanks to ccgr for the heads-up about the content.
Spoiler:

Emwok
CCGR addict
I have looked at Starbound a little more and I know I am going to get it and I am also really itching to play it. I also know that it almost never goes on sale and when it does, the discount is small. Is it worth waiting 'till the Steam winter sale?
Spoiler:

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Check out Rollers of the Realm on Steam, $7.49 on sale now
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Lets see here...
VVVVVV is a neat challenging platformer with great music. It's short, but cheap. ($1.24 on sale at 75% off)
Castle Crashers is a great arcade style platforming fighter. (it's lowest price has been $1.49 at 90% off)
Dust: An Elysian Tail is also a fantastic platforming fighter and has a good story,
there is one swear word though. (it's lowest price has been $2.99 at 80% off)

I could probably think of more...
Emwok wrote:I have looked at Starbound a little more and I know I am going to get it and I am also really itching to play it. I also know that it almost never goes on sale and when it does, the discount is small. Is it worth waiting 'till the Steam winter sale?
I have no idea, you are right that it pretty much never goes on sale,
I normally wait till a sale before buying Steam games...
Hmmm, I have no idea.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Double Fine's games are all on sale right now. There might be something there that you may find interesting.

Also, since you listed RPGs, you can expect me to point to the games of Spiderweb Software, of course (Avernum and Avadon are their newest entries). Being turn-based, they aren't terribly fast-paced, though. Still fun, though! But if you want an RPG a bit more fast-paced, consider the Torchlight games.
Emwok
CCGR addict
Checked out Double Fine and I think I'm going to get Hack 'n Slash. I am going to wait until the sale to grab Starbound and I might buy Castle Crashers if it goes on sale for a good price. Thanks for the help!
Spoiler: