The Pope supports evolution and the big bang theory

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 22514.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

discuss...
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Maybe I'm misinterpreting exactly what the Pope is doing, but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that someone just declares it as doctrine. If he's just opening up people to the idea of Evolution, cool.

I'm honestly just uncomfortable with the idea of a Pope in general. He does seem like a great guy, but nobody is great enough to warrant being the unquestionable voice of God on earth.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
cjv
ArchAngel wrote: nobody is great enough to warrant being the unquestionable voice of God on earth.
+1 rep.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
The Catholic Church really hasn't been against evolution for some time now. A good number of catholics accept it, and many of them tend to take Genesis non-literally. This is one of those things that really isn't old news that the media kind of made a big deal out of recently for some reason.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Maybe I'm misinterpreting exactly what the Pope is doing, but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that someone just declares it as doctrine. If he's just opening up people to the idea of Evolution, cool.

I'm honestly just uncomfortable with the idea of a Pope in general. He does seem like a great guy, but nobody is great enough to warrant being the unquestionable voice of God on earth.
I may be wrong in this - and any Catholics or former Catholics fell free to correct me - but I think the stance of the Catholic Church is that the words of the Pope = the words of God. So, basically, the statements could be interpreted that the Big Bang Theory and evolution are official stances and doctrines of the Catholic Church.
Bruce_Campbell wrote:The Catholic Church really hasn't been against evolution for some time now. A good number of catholics accept it, and many of them tend to take Genesis non-literally. This is one of those things that really isn't old news that the media kind of made a big deal out of recently for some reason.
Lately, the media's been jumping on anything that may show that the current Pope is a liberal, even if such claims are tenuous at best. Journalistic integrity at work....
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: I may be wrong in this - and any Catholics or former Catholics fell free to correct me - but I think the stance of the Catholic Church is that the words of the Pope = the words of God. So, basically, the statements could be interpreted that the Big Bang Theory and evolution are official stances and doctrines of the Catholic Church.
Sort of. Basically, when the Pope makes a statement that's specifically Ex Cathedra, then it is regarded as the infallible word of God. If the Pope says "Bostom Kreme Doughnuts are delicious."
... not the word of God (though it is true.)

Kinda like the LDS Prophet, but somewhat more formal and more strict.
Sstavix wrote: Lately, the media's been jumping on anything that may show that the current Pope is a liberal, even if such claims are tenuous at best. Journalistic integrity at work....
There is no journalistic integrity in the mass media anymore. None. It's a complete joke.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
If the Pope says "Bostom Kreme Doughnuts are delicious."
Now THAT'S a Pope I can get behind :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
sign me up too!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:If the Pope says "Bostom Kreme Doughnuts are delicious."
Oh yeah? I'm going to nail 95 Theses why Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are better!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Come to think of it, custard > creme.

HOWEVER.

I wouldn't say that creme isn't delicious. I'm not playing Pope here
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
A Boston Creme IS made with custard, young grasshopper. :mrgreen:
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I think he's saying he prefers Boston Creme Doughnuts to the classic Krispy Kreme cream-filled doughnut.

Which is HERESY!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
No sir, to say that anything... ANYTHING... trumps custard as a doughnut filling is truly heresy!

—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You guys are the reason for the countless disappointments when I bite into a filled doughnut.

I declare a holy war!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
It's on! We will bathe in the custard of our enemies!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens