Star Citizen

Pedal to the metal. See ya at the finish line.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
I am pumped for Star Citizen after finding out about it a few days ago. I've looked into Kerbal Space Program and EVE Online but neither of them really fit what I really want in a game like this. Faster Than Light is fun, but still not quite it. We do have a thread for it already, but it's 2 years dead.
ArchAngel wrote:Chris Roberts (Wing Commander) is working on a open world space sim: Star Citizen.

I can't emphasize how much I'm excited about this game.
Open World.
Emphasis on Immersion and Exploration.
Constantly expanding universe.
Starship dog fighting.
Support for Oculus Rift.
Player generated economy.
Straight up beautiful spacecraft.
Co-op play, a friend can fly as a wing man or even as a gunner on your ship.
Realistic Physics.
And so on.

Not to mention Chris Robert is THE man for space sims.
Star Citizen has more than $50 million in crowdfunding money now. I skimmed their goals page and it looks awesome.

I'll probably be doing the Aurora MR Plus because it's the least expensive ship that comes with Beta Access. I want to play as soon as possible, but I don't think I've ever spent more than $10 on a game, so it will be a "large purchase" for me.

Have any of you pledged? What did you get and why?
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
ActiveRedStone
Noob
Noob
I've looked into this game as well, and I'm extremely excited for when it is finished. I would really like to buy it but, like you, I'm not sure about the pricing. It looks like the cheapest package you can get is $30. If I do ever get it I'll probably just play on singleplayer (Squadron 42). I really like how you can invite your friends into your singleplayer world, because I don't want to get into the MMO environment, but I still want to be able to play multiplayer with friends, so it creates the perfect medium. :)
II Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
IBJamon my hubby backed it
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You probably guessed, but yeah, I pledged, and am rocking both a Star Citizen ID Card and one of those goliath mouse pads.

Tried out Arena Commander, too. Pretty barebone right now, for obvious reasons, but it has a good fun factor to it. I still get some of that Wing Commander feel. I am crazy excited.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Jay has an ID, I think that's it
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
ArchAngel wrote:You probably guessed, but yeah, I pledged, and am rocking both a Star Citizen ID Card and one of those goliath mouse pads.

Tried out Arena Commander, too. Pretty barebone right now, for obvious reasons, but it has a good fun factor to it. I still get some of that Wing Commander feel. I am crazy excited.
From your comments on it already, I figured you had. The ID Card sounds cool but those were limited edition. =( Congrats! Apparently they make multiple mousepads for the different ship manufacturers. What's yours?

Did you see the towel? The description is rather entertaining. If it was a sweat towel I'd consider it.

I'm definitely backing once my college applications and scholarship applications are in. No games until they're done...

Their immersive experience plans are amazing. Character creation will be done by walking into a bathroom and looking in a mirror. The Death of a Spaceman is a very interesting explanation.
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

-Deepfreeze32

-ccgr

-ccgr
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
One thing I'm worried about are the issues in the following two Extra Credit videos: Power Creep and Inflation. How do you think they are going to deal with these problems? Have you seen any info from the devs? I saw a couple threads on their forums about power creep but they were only speculation.

-Deepfreeze32

-ccgr

-ccgr
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Good question. I have no idea. I haven't seen much about how they wanted to handle their multiplayer world.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

selderane
Gamer
Gamer
I'm an OG backer, yo. Got my golden ticket and everything. I'm in for several bills.

If what I currently own came in a box at retail there'd be no way in a million years I'd buy it. But since "Chris Roberts" spelled backwards is "Satan" (take my word for it) he has hit me right where it hurts most.

Massive Mico-transactions. Blergh.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

If Star Wars: Destiny is a CCG, X-Wing is an LCG.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
For starters, if you put any decent amount in, you already own the game. Also, right now, those aren't micro-transactions in the game, it's an ongoing fundraiser.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Potato potahto. The only difference between "fundraising" and micro-transactions in this case is the retail state of the game. The financial model is exactly the same. Releases of new content to the store is staggered in such a way as to not fatigue the audience and, of course, it all available in-game for you to earn.

Take that last sentence and say you're talking about any Facebook game and people will understand you're talking about micro-transactions.

I'm not attacking Chris Roberts. I love the guy. But let's call a spade a spade. The Kickstarter funded the game. Yes, everything else is fundraising, but it still done though massive micro-transactions.
Everything above this sentence is opinion and worth precisely what was paid for it.
Everything below this sentence is indisputable fact as verified by scientists, philosophers, scholars, clergy, and David Bowie.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
As it turns out, the retail state of the game makes all the difference. You know, the difference between playing the game and not playing the game.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

selderane
Gamer
Gamer
Which is why Chris Roberts is so brilliant. He gets you to pay micro-transactions without even having to provide a retail-quality product.

Who wouldn't love that business model?

Heck, he's even convinced some people that they're not paying micro-transactions!

Diabolical.

micah211
VIP Member
VIP Member
I just googled this... after I buy Destiny, this is the next game on my list.
I literally do nothing
Wintercross
ActiveRedStone wrote:I've looked into this game as well, and I'm extremely excited for when it is finished. I would really like to buy it but, like you, I'm not sure about the pricing. It looks like the cheapest package you can get is $30. If I do ever get it I'll probably just play on singleplayer (Squadron 42). I really like how you can invite your friends into your singleplayer world, because I don't want to get into the MMO environment, but I still want to be able to play multiplayer with friends, so it creates the perfect medium. :)

It's not so much inviting players into your single player, the single player is Squadron 42 which will play more like Wing Commander and similar. (We might get coop, who knows?)

What will be possible though is private/local servers like in Freelancer. So while there will be the 'official server' which will be the MMO style, you can also run a private server separate from the official one.