Should Sony get out of the hardware business? FFG article

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
http://www.familyfriendlygaming.com/New ... dware.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can Sony finally start to turn things around with the Playstation 4? Is this their last shot at success before the plug is finally pulled on the Playstation brand? The majority of industry analysts Family Friendly Gaming consulted all agree – the PS4 is not looking very good.
Yes the PS3 was overpriced at first, but is it a failure? The 3DS and Wii U had rocky launches too. Curious if the Wii U will recover.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Good points. :)

PS3 is last place, which is why I give it that label. Wii dominated for 5 years, and then the Xbox 360 has for 28 straight months. Sony has had little to crow about for a long time.

I loved the Turboduo back in the 16-bit era. It was last place, and because of it they did not release their 32-bit machine in the States. Being in last place too long can impact business decisions within a company. Will it happen with Sony? I don't know. I just threw that out there.

Your right it might be too early to call the Vita a flop/failure. I just don't see it catching the 3DS. Maybe a price drop, and some decent games could get it climbing. After a year I expect some kind of momentum from the Vita.

The main goal of that article was to take the logic applied against Nintendo (usually), and put that same logic on Sony. Who has had more issues for longer. The 3DS will keep the Wii U out there. What does Sony have to keep the Playstation brand healthy?
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Globally, the PS3 dominated the 360.

I guess that means the 360 is a flop. I wonder, two consoles now from Microsoft... and they're both flops. I wonder how the third one will go?

I hope you don't believe in the third console curse.. could mean a lot of trouble!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
you forgot to use the new sarcasm tags Blue. I haven't owned a xbox system yet but I have been happy with my PSP and 3DS. Not impressed with Wii U or Vita's library.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Blue wrote:Globally, the PS3 dominated the 360.

I guess that means the 360 is a flop. I wonder, two consoles now from Microsoft... and they're both flops. I wonder how the third one will go?

I hope you don't believe in the third console curse.. could mean a lot of trouble!
No console has won three straight generations in a row. Atari won two; Nintendo won two; Sony won two; and now Nintendo has won one. This next one is up in the air.

And yes if Microsoft had another flop then it would be the same thing. The one thing going for them is they keep getting better. PS2 absolutely dominated the Xbox. It was not even funny. Microsoft made a game of it with the Xbox 360. VGChartz has the Xbox 360 slightly ahead of the PS3, but they say the PS3 will pass it soon. Its a neck and neck race like the Genesis/SNES was.

You make an excellent point about worldwide sales. It has been tough for any American company to make headway in Japan - in terms of hardware.

I am curious to see how the Gamestick does.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Sony has great ideas, but execution is kinda..................
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Honestly, this article just sounds like it makes a bombastic claim just to get views. Like the one sole critic who hated Inception.

Inception was a masterpiece. Good day, sir.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Word. I'm not against Sony, I just think that they could think things through a tad bit more.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:Honestly, this article just sounds like it makes a bombastic claim just to get views. Like the one sole critic who hated Inception.

Agreed.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Inception was pretty darn good, wasn't it?

― Criss Jami
blacksinow
The reason that the VITA isn't doing well in the first place is due to Sony of America's own doing. They aren't being serious with the release of titles. If they treat the PS4 any different, then the system WILL fail hard in the western regions. Microsoft on the other hand will give about anyone a chance to develope on their X1, even if they are terrible people to work with.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
ArchAngel wrote:Honestly, this article just sounds like it makes a bombastic claim just to get views. Like the one sole critic who hated Inception.

I can tell you for a fact it was not written with that outcome in mind.

I knew Sony fanboys may take offense. I hoped they would see it as a call to action, as well as insight into a perspective that was diverse from their own.

Sony has attempted outreach to families in the past, and it has not had the success Nintendo or Microsoft has had. Yet they had success in the PS2 era with families. I ask questions like: "What was done differently?" "Can they bring back that atmosphere?"

There has been feedback to the article that has helped me understand different perspectives as well. Which I see as a really good thing. :) I am using it as an opportunity to learn and grow.

I do believe you are doing a dis-service by trying to label an opinion as: "of just one person." The Tea Party has shown there are a lot of people with opinions that do not get mainstream media attention. So numbers are most likely much higher than you claim.

BTW I have never heard of Inception before. What kind of game is it?

The article brings up other questions like - would the industry be better without Sony? I don't think so. Would the industry be better without Nintendo? Again I don't think so. Would the industry be better without Microsoft? Jury is still out. :)

Its about exploring a question from an angle that is different. Good writers can do that - hence they can come up with all kinds of different character with different motives, etc. Am I saying I am a good writer? *lol* Far from it. I have a long, long, long way to go. I am using this article as an attempt to improve. I appreciate all of the wonderful feedback I have gotten that has opened my eyes to different perspectives.

My one pre-conception that I bring in is this - I believe the key to success is providing for family gamers. Please do not take this to extremes. I know the hardcore gamer needs games too - that is another component. I just believe there are more family gamers than there are hardcore gamers. What evidence do I have? The Wii. Do I leave the door open that I could be wrong? Sure I do.
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:
BTW I have never heard of Inception before. What kind of game is it?

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:BTW I have never heard of Inception before. What kind of game is it?
Oh, it's actually a movie,
I haven't seen it myself,
I just a preview at a theater...
I probably wouldn't know about it other wise. :P

(<--- is not into movies much.)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Would've been cool if Inception had its own game, though.

― Criss Jami