We've been playing Monopoly wrong

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
BUYING PROPERTY...Whenever you land on an unowned property you may buy that property from the Bank at its printed price. You receive the Title Deed card showing ownership; place it face up in front of you.

If you do not wish to buy the property, the Banker sells it at auction to the highest bidder. The buyer pays the Bank the amount of the bid in cash and receives the Title Deed card for that property. Any player, including the one who declined the option to buy it at the printed price, may bid. Bidding may start at any price.
Official rules

It will be a much better game played as intended :\

original article but it has some naughty words in it
LAVA89
I used to play an old MS-DOS version of the game which had the auction feature. But I don't think it ever forced the bank to put the properties up for auction (always just assumed it was an option). Making you auction properties everytime would make the game go faster.
delve
I've always known that was in the rules. But on the rare times I play it everyone just buys whatever they land on. >.>

How have you been playing?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
no auction just buy or move on
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
WHAT IS THIS DARK MAGIC.

O_O

My Monopoly world has just been rocked.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
This would literally change nothing about how I or my family plays these games. We're huge land tycoons. The whole game comes down the deed trading after all the properties are bought.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
delve
That's about how I've always played. I've watched people mortgage Boardwalk for something in the purple block >.>
LAVA89
ArchAngel wrote:This would literally change nothing about how I or my family plays these games. We're huge land tycoons. The whole game comes down the deed trading after all the properties are bought.
That's a good point too, I totally forgot about the deed trading. In the windows version of the PC game, you basically have to start trading or the game becomes deadlocked if there aren't semi or full monopolies.
delve wrote:That's about how I've always played. I've watched people mortgage Boardwalk for something in the purple block >.>
Haha, wow...now that's taking advantage of your opportunity cost.

The only point I see in having the purple properties is to sour people's excitement when they pass go.
delve
Eh, it's justified as a spoiler for someone else's monopoly or to build on your own. Even the cheapo properties can be worth the trouble of building up. If the light blue properties are the only monopoly on the board then the owner is sitting pretty well.

Besides, Boardwalk is only one space and if you don't have Park Place to go with it then you're not really losing that much value.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I had a friend whi would bankrupt people by selling them Boardwalk for 2-3 thousand dollars. He called them "sucker deals."

I miss that guy :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Ever since I read a strategy guide no one will play with me. :(

There are a lot of house rules that have wormed their way into the way it's played any more, but aren't in the official rules. Getting money for landing on free parking seems to be the biggest one.
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
Oh man, I hate Monopoly. The game takes several hours and by the end of it, no one in my family wants to talk to each other.

That's why I much prefer the more streamlined Monopoly Deal. :)
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I feel like playing Monopoly right now... >_>
Cory_Hartland
Noob
Noob
Wow, what else have I been doing wrong?