The Verge reviews the Ouya

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
delve
Huh. The bit at the bottom about needing everything perfect before it's a viable console is ridiculous. Makes me wonder if there's a touch of bias there. That said they may have missed the moon and started a very, very long trip to a star. Assuming they live that long.

I'm still anxious to get an email saying mine's shipped :P
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Why would there be bias there? Why isn't it enough to just say, "I disagree with this review" and wait for your copy?

Personally, I've thought the Ouya looked like a bad idea from the get go, but I'm not exactly a fan of the Android platform. (Okay, I actually can't stand anything Android.) The thought of a game console running on what is essentially the most unstable mobile OS since WebOS is, quite frankly, laughable. But then, I didn't think OnLive looked like a good idea, and look how THAT turned out... >_>
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
delve
Because this
Let's say everything goes exactly right for Ouya. Every good game in the Play Store becomes available to Ouya, Netflix and Amazon decide to play nice with the device, and the ROM and hacker community explode and make every app and many more available to the nascent platform. Then and only then, Ouya can be viable — if it can combine a decent set-top box with a decent gaming platform, it may have a case to make for your $99.
is simply ludicrous. Let's try and generalize that. 'If an only if your product is superior to everything before it in 3 distinct markets can it be worth half or less as much as its primary competition.'

Wait, what? How can somebody make a statement like that at the end of what appears to be an otherwise sober and not very positive review? He does raise some interesting points and pitfalls but that sort of hyperbole suggests bias to me <shrug>

In the interest of full disclosure I could very well suffer from confirmation bias myself. I'm on the backer list. I do try to recognize my own biases though.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
I plan on making awesome Christian video games. If this goes well, then you guys may have some time awesomeness time in your hands (God willing).

As for the review, I admit he has a point. But the thing is that the console has just started making progress.
How do you hack on something that just started out? Okay, so it has a ways to go but it is unnecessary to talk about all its faults and make it seem like more bad than good. Not to mention that they're are a lot of independent developers out there that are still learning and are eager to make themselves known.

Did you mention that? :|

Oh, and how do you say that Ouya's design is not that interesting when you just said near the beginning that you don't care for the design as long as it works well?

Shut up! :?
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
delve
One of the forums devoted to Ouya-talk points out that the UI actually is in beta stages. I don't know the veracity of that claim but if it's true then by the time it gets to general release a whole subsection of his criticism may need to be cut.