Last Game You Beat

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I dunno what that show is. :lol:

However, I did notice the inordinately good voice acting. Not that Halo has bad voiceover's usually, but I was impressed with 'em.

I just...I don't know. I loved the game. Everything about it. It showed a more human element to the Halo universe (showing that, hey, those other marines are not just cannon fodder; some of them can fight).
Spoiler:
Plus, everyone lived. That's a big plus in my book, since I'm tired of those 'Let's reveal the story through character segments but in the end they're all already dead' stories. Makes me reconsider wanting to play Reach.
Srsly. After Halo 3, I didn't think I'd like ODST as much as I did. XD
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Chozon1 wrote:I dunno what that show is. :lol:
Your nerd cred has been docked 5 points. Correct this problem. Now.

Last game I beat was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Old-school graphic adventure games rock.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:I dunno what that show is. :lol:

However, I did notice the inordinately good voice acting. Not that Halo has bad voiceover's usually, but I was impressed with 'em.

I just...I don't know. I loved the game. Everything about it. It showed a more human element to the Halo universe (showing that, hey, those other marines are not just cannon fodder; some of them can fight).
Spoiler:
Plus, everyone lived. That's a big plus in my book, since I'm tired of those 'Let's reveal the story through character segments but in the end they're all already dead' stories. Makes me reconsider wanting to play Reach.
Srsly. After Halo 3, I didn't think I'd like ODST as much as I did. XD
Dude.

Duuuuude.

Not okay.

First of all, I thought you had seen the show. There's a reason for that.

Second of all, I'm pretty sure, at one point, you named a pet something-or-other "Jayne," which I took to be a reference from Firefly, because, HEY! - there's a character named Jayne on Firefly.

You've destroyed my worldview. :|
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Chozon, you need to stop everything and watch Firefly. If you don't have it, go out and buy it. Like, right now. Find a 24 hour walmart or something. Buy it and watch it.
You'll thank me later.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Chozon1 wrote:Makes me reconsider wanting to play Reach.
Don't. Trust me, I hate those endings as well. They're normally sloppy and poorly done; but I found Reach to be incredibly well thought out and tasteful.

I last beat Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Mass Effect 3.

Really really really really REALLY don't understand all of the hate for the ending. I thought it was . . . well . . . perfect. Honestly, I thought they wrapped up the saga quite nicely. Epic is epic.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
GarthVader wrote:Mass Effect 3.

Really really really really REALLY don't understand all of the hate for the ending. I thought it was . . . well . . . perfect. Honestly, I thought they wrapped up the saga quite nicely. Epic is epic.
Finally! Another person who agrees with me! :lol:
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Personally, I think they need to explain it better. Other than that, yeah, epic ending.

I last beat SSX (2012)
starwarsman
Noob
Noob
I finished a few more levels on Lord of the Rings the fellowship

It's a good game even though it is quite old
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I love doctor who and Starwars!!!!!!!!
GarthVader
VIP Member
VIP Member
Nate DaZombie wrote:

Personally, I think they need to explain it better. Other than that, yeah, epic ending.
Possibly... but I think that leaving a bit to the imagination is quite fine, too. Just "explaining every little tidbit" probably would have come across as overly lengthy and ... well, too much. I liked the ending.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:

Finally! Another person who agrees with me! :lol:
I agreed with you months ago... :P

Maybe I don't think they need to have more exposition because I'm used to ambiguity in films and books. I'm used to stuff not making immediate sense. I don't like Hollywood endings, either.

Anyway, last game I played was Mass Effect 3.

Played through to see the Extended Cut. Hated it.

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
GarthVader wrote: Possibly... but I think that leaving a bit to the imagination is quite fine, too. Just "explaining every little tidbit" probably would have come across as overly lengthy and ... well, too much. I liked the ending.
I agree, but your average gamer is going to have NO idea what just happened. That needs to be fixed. How? I'm not sure, but it needs to be done.

(I haven't seen the extended cut yet)
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
GarthVader wrote:Possibly... but I think that leaving a bit to the imagination is quite fine, too. Just "explaining every little tidbit" probably would have come across as overly lengthy and ... well, too much. I liked the ending.
This. Also, which ending did you choose? (Feel free to use spoiler tags. :P )
Drewsov wrote:
Played through to see the Extended Cut. Hated it.
Same question goes for you. :P
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Nate DaZombie wrote:
GarthVader wrote: Possibly... but I think that leaving a bit to the imagination is quite fine, too. Just "explaining every little tidbit" probably would have come across as overly lengthy and ... well, too much. I liked the ending.
I agree, but your average gamer is going to have NO idea what just happened. That needs to be fixed. How? I'm not sure, but it needs to be done.

(I haven't seen the extended cut yet)
Why, exactly, does it need to be done?

Because you didn't understand it? Or because there was internet outcry?

See, that just bothers me. It really, truly bothers me.

The best fiction - and that's what Mass Effect 3 is, a fiction - doesn't explain things. It just lays them out. The reader interprets those things.

What I gather you wanted instead was a Hollywood ending, where everything was explained. But since it wasn't - and in the Extended Cut, still isn't - it needs to be fixed.

Let me put it this way: authorial intent should have no concern for the audience. The author is god, and the universe that an author creates is a deistic place. The author creates things and lets things unfold, but does not intervene. The audience observes, but must be impartial, at least in the author's eyes, or the piece loses meaning.

The extended cut was without soul. It was a terrible thing, and it robbed one of the most brilliantly flawed endings its sense of purpose and place. And it's the audience's fault.

And, Deep, I played the destroy ending this time around. First time, I chose synthesis.

Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Drewsov wrote: Why, exactly, does it need to be done?
Because it doesn't make sense. If you'd like to get into semantics, fine, it doesn't need to be done. But we've all poured dozens of hours into this story, shouldn't there be some closure? What happened to the galaxy? Did my crew survive? Did I really make an impact? Did I even have a choice? What colored explosion is the best? (it's red)
Drewsov wrote:Because you didn't understand it? Or because there was internet outcry?
There wouldn't have been an internet outcry if the ending wasn't broken, and I'm normally the last person to complain about an ending.
Drewsov wrote:The best fiction - and that's what Mass Effect 3 is, a fiction - doesn't explain things. It just lays them out. The reader interprets those things.
I understand the idea there, but exactly how does that make sense? I get it, leave room for sequels, let the reader/player decide (in their mind) how things play out, have a thought provoking ending, etc... But don't you care in the least about what happened to everyone else? I do.
Drewsov wrote:What I gather you wanted instead was a Hollywood ending, where everything was explained. But since it wasn't - and in the Extended Cut, still isn't - it needs to be fixed.
Compared to what it is currently, yeah, I would prefer a Hollywood ending. What would have been best though, is if BioWare would have ignored the fans and worked to make a true ending.
Drewsov wrote:Let me put it this way: authorial intent should have no concern for the audience. The author is god, and the universe that an author creates is a deistic place. The author creates things and lets things unfold, but does not intervene. The audience observes, but must be impartial, at least in the author's eyes, or the piece loses meaning.
I'm not saying they should pander to the audience, I'm saying they need to finish the ending.
Drewsov wrote:The extended cut was without soul. It was a terrible thing, and it robbed one of the most brilliantly flawed endings its sense of purpose and place. And it's the audience's fault.
I've since watched the endings, and they're not that bad. Generic, maybe, but not horrible. Why blame the audience for calling BioWare's bluff? They promised A TON of things about the ending, and they had a reason to be let down.

The last game I beat was Wii Sports Resort (the flying minigame)