Ask the Mormon

If you want to publicly ask a specific member a question, do so here.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I was pondering the differing base shapes. In the battles I've watched I'd noticed that they used the little holders in Warhammer and they didn't in 40K, but I was uncertain whether that was of consequence or preference. Really need to play a game and try it out now. O_o

Is there a better place to shop than Amazon?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Chozon1 wrote:I was pondering the differing base shapes. In the battles I've watched I'd noticed that they used the little holders in Warhammer and they didn't in 40K, but I was uncertain whether that was of consequence or preference. Really need to play a game and try it out now. O_o

Is there a better place to shop than Amazon?
Preference. Using the movement trays makes life a LOT easier, except with terrain on the table... :?

Better than Amazon? My eBay store! :mrgreen:

(I'm only half joking... I'm selling some of my Warhammer stuff to help pay for a replacement engagement ring as a Christmas present for my wife.)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Well...my parents would be doing the shopping. Though with all the research involved, I'm starting to ponder whether this wouldn't be something better to take up on my own time and money rather than a Christmas gift. Chances of getting to watch/play a game before Christmas are low...doubly so considering my list has to be in within a week or so.

I dunno if I'll be able to buy any of it, but I do hope you get your stuff sold. Good cause.

What are your thoughts on the LOTR stuff made by Games Workshop?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Well...my parents would be doing the shopping. Though with all the research involved, I'm starting to ponder whether this wouldn't be something better to take up on my own time and money rather than a Christmas gift. Chances of getting to watch/play a game before Christmas are low...doubly so considering my list has to be in within a week or so.

I dunno if I'll be able to buy any of it, but I do hope you get your stuff sold. Good cause.
Thankya!
Chozon1 wrote: What are your thoughts on the LOTR stuff made by Games Workshop?
Some of the models are pretty cool, and being produced by GW means they can be used in Warhammer armies as well. (I was thinking of using the Balrog in a Chaos army.) Problem is the game seems to be in decline and the license may be running out soon. I don't know many people who play it anymore. I guess it seems silly to have 2 different fantasy miniatures games, and Warhammer has been around a LOT longer than the LOTR game.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
I've been impressed with Warhammer's longevity...especially in a world where digital is taking over everything. O_o

Anything else I need know? You've been incredibly cool and helpful and stuff. I just need to decide now. XD

It's pretty much between this/Warmachine or an Xbox for Christmas.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:I've been impressed with Warhammer's longevity...especially in a world where digital is taking over everything. O_o
Me too. I guess it's partly due to the fact that Warhammer isn't just a game, it's a full-fledged hobby with the models, conversions, painting, fluff (some of the novels are really good) being at least as important as the gameplay itself.
Chozon1 wrote: Anything else I need know? You've been incredibly cool and helpful and stuff. I just need to decide now. XD
Thanks... I enjoy talking about this kind of gaming, especially with someone just getting into it (or thinking of getting into it). I think your plan to go have a look is your best starting point...

Ok here's a piece of info you may find useful... The Army books/Codexes don't all come out at the same time... Which means each time the game gets a new edition, all of the army books/codexes become techically out of date. (Still perfectly usable, but don't mesh as nicely with the newer rules) So for example, Warhammer Fantasy has just come out with 8th Edition and so far the only army books that have been updated for 8th Edition are Orcs & Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms and Tomb Kings. My Bretonnia army book is actually from 6th edition so it's behind by 2. (Rumor has it that it'll be the next update though.... Fingers crossed.)

So if you decide to start choosing an army, be aware of how recently the army book has been updated.
Chozon1 wrote: It's pretty much between this/Warmachine or an Xbox for Christmas.
Get a tabletop game... It's a much more well rounded hobby. I love my 360, but it's not as social (XBOX Live! notwithstanding) or fun overall.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Haven't decided whether to go Warhammer or Warmachine...Does Warmachine do their books the same way? And is the big rule book updated thusly, or just the smaller ones?

My pancreas is leaning toward tabletop...but there's a voice in my spleen reminding me (in a voice that sounds like Shawn from Psych. O_o) that I've wanted a magic Box for around 3 years now. Stupid organs of differing opinion.

I've also been pondering the use of magnifying glasses in painting...?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Haven't decided whether to go Warhammer or Warmachine...Does Warmachine do their books the same way? And is the big rule book updated thusly, or just the smaller ones?
It's the same in that there's one big rulebook (Whch is cheaper) and a faction book for each force... But Privateer Press has said they're not looking to update the game all the time like Warhammer. Instead, they add expansion books with new units and stuff.
Chozon1 wrote: My pancreas is leaning toward tabletop...but there's a voice in my spleen reminding me (in a voice that sounds like Shawn from Psych. O_o) that I've wanted a magic Box for around 3 years now. Stupid organs of differing opinion.

I've also been pondering the use of magnifying glasses in painting...?
I've got a magnifying glass with clips on it for painting, but I rarely use it. When you're looking through it it throws off your hand/eye coordination so if you're going to use it, it's better to use it all the time or not at all.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Oh. Cool. I realized the other day that if I go with Warmachine, I'll likely have to start a club or sommat myself...having a silly hard time finding a local shop that supplies it. Not that the idea bothers me...just something I'm having to consider.

I had noticed some guys sitting at desks with a telescoping magnifying glass on it and was wondering if that was important or just something to have.

How long do games usually take you to play? I read people talking about 3-4 hours.

Something outside of the tabletop strategy games: Fallout 3?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Oh. Cool. I realized the other day that if I go with Warmachine, I'll likely have to start a club or sommat myself...having a silly hard time finding a local shop that supplies it. Not that the idea bothers me...just something I'm having to consider.

I had noticed some guys sitting at desks with a telescoping magnifying glass on it and was wondering if that was important or just something to have.
Not critical... It's one of those things that's useful when you've been painting for a few years and need the magnification to help you with ridiculously fine details like pupils in eyes or lettering on scrolls. Personally, I take the approach that if the detail is so fine you need a magnifying glass to see it, nobody's going to be looking at it close enough on the battlefield. Now, if you're going to be entering painting competitions, on the other hand...
Chozon1 wrote: How long do games usually take you to play? I read people talking about 3-4 hours.
The rule of thumb in Warhammer is about an hour per thousand points on the table. So I'd expect a 2,000 point game to take about 4 hours (2,000 points x 2 sides). Not sure with Warmachine, since I haven't had many games yet.
Chozon1 wrote: Something outside of the tabletop strategy games: Fallout 3?
<3 it!
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Woah woah woah...what are these painting competitions? XD
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Behold: http://demonwinner.free.fr/

Now that's the Golden Demon competition which is where the ludicrously awesome painters go to compete. At our level, most tournaments and organized events have some kind of painting contest.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
My dear sweet monkey fudge...the detail on those is incredible. O_o I mean just...stunning. Even the grotesque statues. XD

Starting a club?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I'm planning to upload a few pics of minis in my collection in the creativity area. Let me know what you think!

Starting a club? Hehe Done: http://www.ldsknights.org/web/guest

(That website also has a couple of my mini-modeling projects in tutorial format...)
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sweet buckets of candied chicken. XD I like the way you did your banner!

What's the story behind your squads?