Musicians thread of DOOOOOOM.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I figure we need another one of these. I didna play an instrument when we had the last one. XD

So yeah. I figure we can discuss musical stuff (not songs, per say) just...musical stuff.

Like:

I'm trying to memorize songs now. Easier to fluidly play them, for me. But it's hard to memorize solo's when I can barely play them anyway. XD
jester747
Forum Moderator
Are you human?: Yes!
I'm trying to learn "Shine" by Collective Soul, but I've been unable to find any reliable chord sheets.
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
My problem with solos is often the odd timings.

I can make my own, but not too great at playing ones made by others.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I can never get the speed.
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Speed....isn't so hard for me. It's hitting the right notes at that speed that gets me. :D

Side note: Dream Theater stuff is so hard to play but feels so rewarding when you finally pull it off.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm...only DT song I have experience with is Pull Me under. It has insanely hard parts, but most of it's not so bad.

Yes. I DID hear it off Guitar Hero. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
So. String recommendations anyone?

I've had mine on for about a month, but considering I'm liable to get food on them, or play with damp hands (don't judge >_>) not to mention I stretched the crud out of them, I'm thinking about changing them next week.

I've used Ernie Ball pretty much since I got my Electric two years ago. I used D'Addario once in that time, but...I don't remember how they sounded. :D

I've got Beefy Slinky's on now. So I think I'ma drop to a a bit thinner and see how they play. I've had those or Skinny Top, heavy bottom on for the last year. :D

Any ooher good/better brands?
TripExistence
donkey
Are you human?: Not likely
For an electric, Ernie Balls are quite nice, I used them frequently (Medium slinky.)

I really need to change the strings on my acoustic (my neck looks kind of disgusting) but I've never bought strings in the states before. How much do they run?/What kind should I buy?
Kendrik
CCGR addict
I'm terrible when it comes to strings... I buy whatever's cheap and accessible. /shrug

Also... I'm working on a new song. By "working on" I mean "I need to write." What's it about? RPG leveling, questing, grinding... yessssss. :D
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
TripExistence wrote:For an electric, Ernie Balls are quite nice, I used them frequently (Medium slinky.)

I really need to change the strings on my acoustic (my neck looks kind of disgusting) but I've never bought strings in the states before. How much do they run?/What kind should I buy?
Acoustic runs more here than electric. Typically, $5-20. Though the $20 are the cryogenically frozen stuffs. XD

I really like the sound of the Ernie Ball Earthwood (lights) series. Bright, but full.

Likely, I'll end up grabbing some EB Slinky's. Those are the most available.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ended up, as thought, with Ernie Ball Slinky's. Good strings. Cheap too. I miss my guitar growling like a savage troll, but I definitely love the light and sparkly tone I'm now getting.
Kendrik
CCGR addict
I love shimmering strings. :D
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Have you started on your RPG song yet? It sounds epic. XD
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Whenever I plug my amp into my computer (using the headphone jack into the line-in port) I have this...awful, high pitched whine under whatever I record. Anyone know what this is?

It doesna do that when I use my RP90, but the RP90 doesna have the tone I want. Running the pedal into the amp into the computer makes it worse. XD
Kendrik
CCGR addict
Chozon1 wrote:Have you started on your RPG song yet? It sounds epic. XD
Not yet. Need to. Kinda stuck. Mebbe I'll make that my project for tomorrow.
Chozon1 wrote:Whenever I plug my amp into my computer (using the headphone jack into the line-in port) I have this...awful, high pitched whine under whatever I record. Anyone know what this is?
Could very well be a grounding issue of some kind.

PS I am currently writing a rather ticked off lyric of an anti-love-song nature.

It could be freaking epic. O.o