Nintendo Switch

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
If they don't have to make the large console with the disc drive, I could see it being cheaper or the same price as than the Wii U.
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
It looks like Amiibo will be compatible with the console (not a huge surprise). Though sadly it's not compatible with physical copies of Wii U and 3DS games.
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
Gimmezell
Noob
Noob
The Switch looks like a cool concept and hopefully all the major developers will be on board to put out slick games. I passed on the Wii U and the Switch reminds me of the U.

My family played the Wii back when it came out but eventually, the Wii was ignored in favor of the Xbox 360.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
JesusIsLord713 wrote:Right now most people are thinking the price for the normal thing will be $299 and the bundle set be $349.

In other words it's pretty much a similar or the exact same price as the Wii U. And if so, we might have some problems. But of course Nintendo hasn't said anything about price yet, so...take this with a grain of salt. :wink:
I honestly can't see that happening. I'd actually be totally OK with that price point, and I know that's what people are clambering for...but I can't see it happening. If it's as advanced as it needs to be...well, look at how expensive a really high-end tablet is. Then add the price of the dock, the controllers, and a Nintendo sticker.

Actually though, I'm somewhat bothered it isn't backwards compatible with Wii U games. XD I mean, clearly, it has no disc drive so I'm not sure what I was expecting...it's just annoying that if I want to play Wii U games, I'll have to buy a Wii U. -_-
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
In my opinion, they should sell a disc drive you can plug in to the Switch, so you can play Wii and Wii U games as well.
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
I think the reason the system can't be backwards compatible is because of how the hardware and such is. Don't know exactly though.

1.12 is here!

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Oh.
I post too much.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I am certainly looking forward to more info on the Switch. ^-^
Chozon1 wrote:Actually though, I'm somewhat bothered it isn't backwards compatible with Wii U games. XD I mean, clearly, it has no disc drive so I'm not sure what I was expecting...it's just annoying that if I want to play Wii U games, I'll have to buy a Wii U. -_-

Seeing how Splatoon seems to be getting an Switch port,
I think it would be quite likely for Nintendo to eventually port most of their major Wii U games.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
According to this link, the Switch will only utilize one screen at a time. It's clearly not a veto on all ports (because of Splatoon and Breath of the Wild), but I think it's going to limit the amount. At the least, it'll make all ports require dedicated time for the project; it's won't be a simple cut and paste, as it were, so I think something like a separate drive (which is an amazing idea, and I would have totally bought it) unlikely.

In my mind, though Nintendo has certainly not confirmed it, this also rules out the screen on the device being a touch screen. Because you couldn't utilize the touchscreen while playing a game on your TV.

And 97% of what we 'know' is speculation, so...I dunno. Come march, things could be entirely different. XD
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
I actually think the single screen experience is a smart move by Nintendo. Because the Wii U failed mostly because of how much more complicated it was than the Wii. Amongst these complications was screen confusion, questions such as:

Is it one screen or 2 screen?
Does it play only on the game pad, or only on the TV?
If the TV is the main screen but a 2 screen game, what does the game pad do?
Does the game pad just show stats or do I have to actually control something with it?

And other questions, I've also heard complaints that players don't like having to look at one screen and then look at the other screen and repeatedly do that.

Battery life is also going to play a crucial role in how well the Switch does.

1.12 is here!

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Yeah, having to change the screen I look at gets annoying sometimes.
I post too much.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Chozon1 wrote:According to this link, the Switch will only utilize one screen at a time. It's clearly not a veto on all ports (because of Splatoon and Breath of the Wild), but I think it's going to limit the amount. At the least, it'll make all ports require dedicated time for the project; it's won't be a simple cut and paste, as it were, so I think something like a separate drive (which is an amazing idea, and I would have totally bought it) unlikely.

In my mind, though Nintendo has certainly not confirmed it, this also rules out the screen on the device being a touch screen. Because you couldn't utilize the touchscreen while playing a game on your TV.

And 97% of what we 'know' is speculation, so...I dunno. Come march, things could be entirely different. XD
True,
some games like Nintendo Land, Star Fox Zero, and Splatoon required both screens. (I wonder what they did to the map in the Switch version.)
Though one of the big features of the Wii U is the ability to play a game on just the gamepad whilst someone is using the TV for a movie or etc.
Thus the majority of Wii U games I own have a "Gamepad mode", and well... out of the ten first party games I own, Nintendo Land is the only one that really used the gamepad for something more than a greatly convenient map, inventory, or alternate main screen. :lol:
So even losing the touch screen aspect wouldn't be too problematic. (Shockingly, even Pikmin 3 had the option to play Gamecube style. :wtc:)

Though how many, when, and what games they would port is quite unpredictable.

Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, but it'll mean it can't just be a 'simple' port. It'll require dedicated time and a team to remove and add features from the game, which will drive up costs. It makes sense with Zelda and Splatoon, since those games are crazy popular (or at least will be crazy popular, in the case of Zelda), but I'm not sure it'll be seen as worthy of effort to bring a lot of titles over.
ImperialR
So...It can run Skyrim, so that's something, but in the video when it goes portable the frame rate on Breath of the Wild drops some. :/ It's marketing is towards Millennials.

...Wasn't that more XBox's area?

Anyway, new Mario game, a 3D one, but due to how it looked more like 3D World, it is probably not galaxy 3. :(

Splatoon. Again. Another Mario Kart that...May be the last one still.

Really the...Awkwardly small NES style co-op they show near the end is...Awkward-ish?

Unfortunately, seeing as the tablet is taken quite far away from the console in the ad, it probably won't wirelessly use the console's resources.

And why Nintendo won't release specs on the resources may be because they don't want to go down the same road as the Wii U.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Chozon1 wrote:Yeah, but it'll mean it can't just be a 'simple' port. It'll require dedicated time and a team to remove and add features from the game, which will drive up costs. It makes sense with Zelda and Splatoon, since those games are crazy popular (or at least will be crazy popular, in the case of Zelda), but I'm not sure it'll be seen as worthy of effort to bring a lot of titles over.
Indeed; really the only port I greatly expect is Pikmin 3, but that all depends on Pikmin 4's sales on the Switch.
ImperialR wrote:Anyway, new Mario game, a 3D one, but due to how it looked more like 3D World, it is probably not galaxy 3.
The first part of it made me think more of a Mario 64 (or Sunshine without Fludd),
to have the explorative freedom of those games with Galaxy's smooth controls, camera, and polish would be amazing. :o

Needless to say, I am looking forward to seeing more info on the next 3D Mario game.