Nintendo Switch

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Pokémon games will be released for the console at some point. It's also pretty much confirmed that it's a hybrid console (home and handheld console combined). The console is currently in production and Nintendo is planning on producing around 10 million consoles per year.
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
The NX will probably be revealed in one of Nintendo's Directs soon. No idea when though and the company is more secret about the console than ever. They don't want anyone to talk about the NX as of right now.

1.12 is here!

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
looking forward to the next direct!
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Well...we FINALLY have some news about the NX! And this is NOT a rumor, this post was posted by Nintendo itself.

The post says "At 7am PT/10am ET the NX Preview Trailer will be unveiled. Don't miss it!" Then there is a picture of somebody in a Mario costume peaking out from behind a curtain. By the way this post is from Facebook, if your wondering where to look for the post. There is also a twitter post somewhere saying the same thing (different wording though).

I'm assuming since this post was made 35 minutes ago (as I'm writing this) the trailer will be revealed TOMORROW! The trailer will be 3 minutes long.

So be expecting some TRUE info tomorrow! Stay tuned!

1.12 is here!

JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
I am going to not expect a lot to be shown, but I am certainly looking forward to seeing the trailer.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Yeah I'm not either (not a whole lot you can cover in 3 minutes), but at least they will finally show something. Hopefully the true name will be shown too.

1.12 is here!

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it's called the Switch

JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
NX trailer revealed!

So to get this out of the way. The true name of the console is "Nintendo Switch".

The hybrid feature is confirmed now, as it shows you being able to play on your TV via a docking station and being able to switch it off the TV onto the on the go console in seconds. So far there doesn't seem to be any limitations to playing on the go as some recent rumors have said.

The cartridge rumors are confirmed too, as at one point it is shown that a player is putting a game into the console (and the game is in cartridge form). The cartridge size is about the same as the DS's and 3DS's cartridges.

Nothing was revealed about the hardware specifications of the console in the trailer.

The controllers that come with the console can be detached from the console as rumors have said. So you have the option to either play with the controllers in the Nintendo Switch or out of the console. The choice is yours. There will also be a Pro controller that you can buy (like previous consoles have had such as the Wii and Wii U).

That's about it for the console itself, now I will tell the games shown on the console (none of the names have been revealed by the way, aside from of course the new Zelda game).

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Some sort of basketball game
Super Mario game (looks like a main entry this time, not a spin off game)
Mario Kart 8 (but I'm thinking this is either an update to the current game, or a remake/remaster of the game. Because King Boo appears in the trailer and so does the ability to have 2 items at once. Both features which are not in the original game.)
Splatoon (looks like the same game as the Wii U, but who knows, it might be a remaster too)
What appears to be a Skyrim game

I think that's it! It's still set on for the March 2017 release date!

1.12 is here!

JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Thanks Ccgr for the posting the video! This should show what I was talking about in my last post.

Oh and I changed the topic name to "Nintendo Switch" since we know the real name now.

1.12 is here!

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
So basically it is like a DS that can be plugged into a TV and played with remotes instead of the console, or be taken on-the-go. It is smart that they started using cartridges. Sounds cool!
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
It's more similar to the Wii U gamepad than the 3DS and DS.

Similarities to gamepad
1 screen (though I don't think you can have that screen and the TV screen be on at the same time as far as I know)
Button configurations are similar, not exactly the same though.
Can be taken away from the main console (though in this case you aren't limited to how far you can go, and I don't know if there is even a main console part, just the portable screen and docking system).
Overall the actual system design looks extremely similar to the gamepad design

Differences to gamepad

Graphics are better (I hope)
The controllers can be deattached and attached as you please, both ways work, though you sorta do need to take them out in order to play on the TV, unless you use the Pro controller.
Can insert games via a card slot on the back.

1.12 is here!

Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
NVIDIA has confirmed that the Switch will be using their Tegra GPU. The Tegra powered the Shield Tablet, which was received really well for its technical specs.

Should be interesting to see what kind of performance we get on portable versus connected to the base station.
ImperialR
I feel like this either will have the meh beginning of the Wii U, or moderate success at it's start.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I think I'm happy...I realize that a big portion of a consoles spacial footprint belongs to the optical and hard drives, which this entirely lacks, but there's a part of me that wonders if what looks like a very thick tablet will have the processing power to satiate enough whiny "graphics are king" gamer's to be considered a true, next-gen console. Or for that matter, Tegra aside, have enough graphical muscle to keep up with its brethren. Admittedly, I'm not sure why this bothers me, since I've never particularly been particular...I think it's because some part of my being is already tensing up for the complaining about Nintendo yet again choosing weaker graphics for other features. I might actually slap someone this time around. >_>

I'm also very worried about the price point; I'm afraid that with the amount of power needed for playing 'serious' games (including Skyrim. :O Which is encouraging to the first point, since that's not exactly an 8-bit title) will put it at a price point I won't be able to afford until the second or third iteration. People are already clambering for $350 or less, but I would be genuinely shocked if it's less than $500. And that's optimistic.

Now...whining aside...

I love it. <3 And actually, I think it's one of the few times 'revolutionary' can be fairly applied to a gaming console. A return to cartridges? Yes! Digital-format only gaming is diarrhea to the soul, with more flaws and issues than I care to rant about right now, but optical drives have their own set of problems (including, you know, frequently dying :P ) too. Solid state memory is far, far better than optical drives and it's so affordable now; I don't think there's a cause to not utilize it. I absolutely love that. And I hope Nintendo is the first in a long line of peoples willing to fully embrace it.

Portability combined with stationary gaming? Also love it. Long have been the years where I've wanted to be able to carry my game console with me and play big, triple-A titles on the go (which in my case, usually means sitting in a chair someplace that isn't my bedroom). The dream will be a reality. <3 This also somewhat nullifies my first complaint; if the Switch is a console/portable hybrid, it won't necessarily be competing in the same market as the PS5 and Xbox #2. Nintendo might actually have found a market they can corner without much effort.

According to the main press release it's also got a fairly huge list of 3rd party supporters, which also thrills me. Bethesda is (obviously, if a bit surprisingly) on that list, as well as Epic. Near the bottom, I found Unity Enterprises. Combined with the confirmed support of the Unreal 4 engine...I'm more than cautiously optimistic. Not even for the graphic capabilities, just for the accessibility.

Essentially, I'm trying to beat the hyped version of myself into the "cautiously optomistic" box with the stick of reality, but it keeps finding ways to escape. XD
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
Right now most people are thinking the price for the normal thing will be $299 and the bundle set be $349.

In other words it's pretty much a similar or the exact same price as the Wii U. And if so, we might have some problems. But of course Nintendo hasn't said anything about price yet, so...take this with a grain of salt. :wink:

1.12 is here!