Why Parents Should Play Games with their Kids

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
TheAlexTDB
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I have no idea if anyone here has made a post about this topic here yet, but in case here it is :D

I really enjoyed watching this video, I hope a lot of people learn from this. Kids need to know their parents care about them, and this is a really important area to some kids. Any of you guys have any thoughts?
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Very cool, thanks for sharing it. I know Jay bonded with the kids over Pokemon and the kids usually check out the games I'm reviewing. My son picked up Dungeon Defenders 2 after seeing me play it and we have played some rounds together. :) I try to have the kids play game together so they can bond with each other like Minecraft on Xbox or Tablets they can play in each other's worlds and build stuff together.

As great as games are, when it's nice outside I kick their butts outisde and friends take priority and if they misbehave, video games are the first privilege lost.
Eromite
Minecraft Server Admin
Great video! It really encourages me now to go and get my parents to come and play some Minecraft with me.
Minecraft - Since 2010
FamilyFriendlyGaming
I have been able to teach my kids about football, basketball, baseball, and hockey thanks to playing them in sports video games. Both of my kids now have a good understanding of the sport, rules, etc. In fact they will watch a football game and point out holding that the refs miss.

It has also taught them situational strategy, and opponent tendencies. They know on 3 and 1 I like to pound the rock right up the middle. So it makes me shift my strategies since they know the plays I like to call in certain situations. The reverse is true, they have learned to adapt what they do because I can counteract it. All in all it is a lot of fun. As a parent I am proud when they can beat me without my slacking off (letting them win). :D
WisteriaWillows
Noob
Noob
My husband and myself played a lot of computer games with our children while they were growing up. We worked with them toward common goals. They watched us face 'death', and loss. (I laugh when I'm killed unexpectedly, or justly.) They saw us sacrifice our time for them, and were asked to make sacrifices for us. We occasionally sent private messages to each other, especially when the girl was annoying the boys. There was a good built-in way to council the boys on how to cope with the girl and her desires and motives.

The kids are now almost 25, 23, and 19. We are very close. I am glad that we didn't play the worst games out there. I'm not old enough to play mature rated games. But I am very glad that we did play. We gained a lot from the experiences.

Wist :)
Yantelope
Noob
Noob
I spend a lot of time playing games with my kids. My son likes them a lot more than my daughter but they both play. I was a little alarmed when I saw the hundreds of hours my son has logged on various Sonic games on steam. Right now my daughter likes to watch me play Stardew Valley. That has been a lot of fun.
Micro
Noob
Noob
Something else that is a great aspect of spending time playing is that it allows modelling of limits and behaviours around shutting it off.

If you show that you can set a limit and stick to it is helps them learn to understand that that is how gaming should be done, and they can then (hopefully) control the potential for addiction.

Also if you are playing with the kids and are summoned to do another job by Spouse, Friend, etc. and you can immediately shut it off if needed or explain that you need a minute to find a save point, this can help the kids learn that gaming is secondary to the real world - even if it is often more fun that the real world.

It also allows you to show them to take breaks to eat, drink and care for their posture, etc.

Teaching boundaries around games and how they fit in a healthy life is really important in my opinion.

Also like Wisteriawillows said - good for helping cope with the frustration of not always winning and dealing with annoying people online.

Also it can be heaps of fun to problem solve together and just muck around - especially in rainy weather.

In general there are heaps of benefits to play with kids, and it is a lot of fun.