It's finally happeninggggg

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
My fiancee desperately needs a better computer for interior design, CAD, and 3D rendering software, so we're building a computer... I'm pretty stoked. We got a lot of money from family lately (wedding stuff and whatnot) and we decided to build one that'd last us a while (good for our needs now and upgradeable later on when necessary). I'll post the build once it all comes together (a friend of mine is helping is build it), but I'll just say that I'm squirming waiting for a freakin' 8-core processor to come in the mail :P

The gist of it is that her programs are CPU-heavy, so we're dumping the most money into that initially. We've got a couple friends in and out of college helping us build it, and it's going to all come out to between 750-850, I think... I don't know what that would be considered (middle? high-middle? I know some people dump 2 grand into gaming rigs, so :P)

BUT. I'm so geeked. So so so geeked.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cool! Let us know how it comes together and some benchmark numbers :D

When is the wedding?
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
ccgr wrote:Cool! Let us know how it comes together and some benchmark numbers :D

When is the wedding?
Ditto on all three of these questions. :)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ccgr wrote:Cool! Let us know how it comes together and some benchmark numbers :D

When is the wedding?
August :) waiting on the invites to trickle back in to plan, well, everything that's left to do... Haha.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Wolfeman
Noob
Noob
Congrats!

Now go here --> http://pcpartpicker.com/
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Everything was ordered monday and will be coming in (hopefully) this week.

I was going to go the usual route of a GTX 970, but rather than spend >300 on it I found a radeon r9 290 for $200 after rebates and coupon codes.

...tell me people: was that a sound decision? :P
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I'm happy with my AMD card, cheaper is good! :)
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Sweet. The stats were somewhat comparable but the GTX970 seemed to outperform and run cooler/quieter. Then again... $100 more expensive (with the deal I got).

I dunno. It's hard to weed through Intel fanboys in regards to processors or NVidia fanboys in regards to graphics cards. I mean, I get it, but when it's an issue of more than a hundred dollars savings in some cases for only a small amount of sacrificed performance...

(some guy on reddit literally told me I was going to be forking out the extra savings in my electric bill because I went with the R9 290 over the GTX 970 and the GTX runs a turdjillion times more efficiently and blah blah blah)
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Yeah, that's crap. lol.

You might pay a little extra for electricity, but in an amount that's so insignificant that if it seriously worries you, a gaming PC isn't for you.

I have an R9 290, and I lurves it. That said, I will probably go Nvidia next time primarily because the AMD drivers are still flaky (Under ATI they were awful, lol). Like...sometimes-you-can't-play-games flaky. It's usually fixed by updating to the newest version (AMD Gaming Evolved is a good program for managing that), but still annoying.

Intel vs AMD comes down to a couple things: AMD is a little less efficient at higher speeds, but negligibly so. The other main concern is that Intel tends to have newer versions of hardware earlier, and a few exclusive hardware things that are nice for certain applications (See Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3, for instance).

Unless you are serious about the absolute best in processor technology RIGHT NOW, then AMD is just as viable a competitor. Anyone who says otherwise is the elitist type that leads me to not posting on Reddit. :P
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Haha, yeah. My techier friend wanted to double check /r/buildapc to get simple feedback on the build and basically got a universal "why didn't you use an i5 and gtx970" response with the suggestions being to revamp the entire thing.

Okay, reddit. Forget we asked :P yes, the quad core intel will outperform the octacore AMD and yes savings do all add up and no I do not have the money to spring the build to a 1,000-1,200 dollars. I can handle having a mid range PC that can still run everything from this year on high settings or better XD

In other news, half the parts are in, including the case and processor :3 the biggest complaints seemed to stem from some of these AMD units having heating issues, but there will be a liquid cooling system as well. I'll dig up the link when not on mobile.