Should a Christain play video games?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
BigBrother
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Like some of the other who have responded to this post, I too have given consideration to whether my joy of playing games goes against the will of God or not. I've prayed about it. This question even caused some internal struggle for a while. I think we've proven in this thread that this is an important topic and there are different opinions on the matter.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but the way I look at it, our God loves us. He is our father. He wants us to be happy. I don't think that the way I play video games is much different than if I were to chose to read a book, or work with my family photos on my computer, or watch a historical documentary on TV, or watch regular secular TV.

I do believe that there is a God shaped hole in all of us that can only be filled by Him. If you are trying to fill it with anything but Him (including video games), then you may have a problem.

I fill my God shaped hole with God. I do a lot of other things that could be considered Kingdom work. I don't let video games take me away from those things. Do I do those things 24/7 (or for all my waking hours)? No. Does that hurt my relationship with Christ? I don't think so.

But I'll tell you this. The generation that is made up of our present day kids seem to be confused about who God is and who he should be in their lives. A lot of those kids play video games and we hear them in on-line matches of our favorite games. I'm appalled at what I hear from these kids (from young adults and adults, too). It bothers me that this community that I love, the Gaming Community, seems to be hurting from it (who is surprised to hear a cussing youngster on-line these days and where is it safe for my children as they get older?). I haven't felt like serving in a youth classroom at church and working with at risk kids in my local town on a weekly basis is helping enough in this community, the gaming community.

That's one of the things that drew me to this web site to begin with. Like minded, Christ followers that enjoy playing video games. This could be a starting point for us to influence our community.

I do appreciate whoever started this thread and everyone who has responded. It's great to hear others thoughts on this topic.
coffeeblocks33
Noob
Noob
Can this question really be answered in this format? The question goes way beyond "appropriate" content and strikes at the heart of Christian discipleship. Some thoughts...

I don't think playing video games is necessarily antithetical to following Christ (if I did I wouldn't be here). I think it is "good" to find simple enjoyment in all kinds of created things... as long as we acknowledge the source of the good (God) and we remain sensitive to how God might be asking us to use our interests, passions, and "things" to show Christ's love to people. It's so easy to get to a place where, as Christians, we are loving "things" instead of using them. Things are meant to be used, not loved; people are meant to be loved, not used. If we keep that straight... uses things, love people... there is much freedom to be had in following Christ.