E3 2014 discussion thread

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I uh...I actually hate PC gaming. >_> I've actually developed some sort of wrist ache since I've started PC gaming.

Plus, I can easily blow $800 to just get the quality of graphics a...What are they, $500 now? PS4.

I prefer Ninty's first party titles anyway.
TDog9631
BF Hardline looks rather boring to say the least, but other than that Day 1 hasn't been too bad.
On the subject of BFH, there are closed beta sign ups now for that.
Steam: bE.(Insert witty name) Origin: TDog9631 Battle.net:TDog9631#1737
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Chozon1 wrote:I uh...I actually hate PC gaming. >_> I've actually developed some sort of wrist ache since I've started PC gaming.

Plus, I can easily blow $800 to just get the quality of graphics a...What are they, $500 now? PS4.

I prefer Ninty's first party titles anyway.
1. PC Gaming is nice because of Steam.
2. PS4s are $400.
3. It's easy to outperform the $400 console.
4. None of this really matters, it's all your opinion.
5. Nobody trumps Ninty.

Battlefield Hardline looks dull. I wanna see Naughty Dog play around.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
ScotchRobbins wrote:1. PC Gaming is nice because of Steam.
2. PS4s are $400.
3. It's easy to outperform the $400 console.
4. None of this really matters, it's all your opinion.
5. Nobody trumps Ninty.

Battlefield Hardline looks dull. I wanna see Naughty Dog play around.
1. Well you've got me there. Steam is stupid amazing. So much deals, so little money.
2. That's cheaper than I thought. But I still think I'll get a PS3 first. Because for $400, I can pay my car insurance for almost a year.
3. True again. But only with a $700+ PC. Not including a game pad, or at least a nice mouse. That will have current gen graphics for...a year. Maybe.
4. Sure. But in the same way that it's technically my opinion that buying butter is easier than making it.
5. Yeah, but...Ratchet and Clank. <3
blacksinow
I will say one thing, this year's E3 added a few more titles to my Wii-U checklist. Whenever I buy a new console, I look for a total of ten games (or 15 for the wii-u because of it having fewer games overall that I like). So I think Nintendo will defintely put more Wii-Us into more homes coming this year with the new zelda games, and so on. Which is more then I can say with the PS4.
RooksBailey
Noob
Noob
From a PC gamer perspective this year's E3 is not impressing me. So far I haven't heard a single game announcement that has me excited. For the most part, the games announced I already knew were in the works (some were pushed back to 2015 for various reasons), and the other are just bleh. Just a yawn so far.
"Zerg... they plump when you cook 'em." – Starcraft II Firebat
RooksBailey
Noob
Noob
This article sort of supports my previous post about this year's E3 being a bust, and little more than a rehash of last year's E3. Here's why:

E3 2014 attendance rises 1.5 percent, exhibitors drop 13 percent

I've been a gamer my whole life, and probably will be until the day I die, but I have been really down of gaming the last two years. With the exception of a small handful of quality titles, the majority of the industry has become lazy at best, and downright disreputable at worst (i.e., selling unfinished games like BF4; selling games using altered videos and screenshots as with Colonial Marines, etc.).
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
As a mainly Nintendo gamer, I really have no idea how to relate to that.

:3
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
For games with intensive graphics and moddability the PC is superior in every way. However, with my kids home for summer break and make taking them to various parks for entertainment, handheld gaming is the most convenient for me now.
RooksBailey
Noob
Noob
I think the PC and console's obsession with graphics is one of the things that is hurting the industry. Don't get me wrong, I like nice graphics as much as the next gamer, but NOT at the expense of the rest of the game. Graphics in gaming is becoming like FX in the movies: too many game devs are spending 60% of their time and budget pushing pixels rather than developing the actual gameplay. I think they do it because I imagine working on a game's appearance is easier than making a good game. Personally, if games never advanced graphically beyond where they are right now, I would be okay with that. I don't need to see every screw on every vehicle. :lol:
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Hey everybody. Now that I am recovering from personal attendance at E3 2014, I thought I would throw a few things out there. I have an article in proofing that will be running over at FFG later this week, or maybe this weekend. My after thoughts of E3 2014.

RooksBailey is right on target. It felt smaller. Certain companies had larger floor spaces to make it look the same, but it was noticeable. There were so many companies that did not attend - companies that we normally meet with. It was sad. The swag was really bad this year. Especially considering how much it costs us to be there.

There was nothing for kids. Unless you are counting Skylanders Trap Team, and Disney Infinity. I am thinking Sesame Street, or Dora games. There was a Cars free app. But those free apps generate too many complaints because of the repeat pay to play stuff.

The Harvest Moon split was interesting. Obviously there is some bad blood there. We will see if Harvest Moon going Minecraft works. Or if Story of Seasons staying Harvest Moon like works better. There is some behind the scenes going on there - that they won't talk about. The tension was obvious when the other one was brought up.

Madden looks amazing on PS4/Xbox One. Farming Simulator 15 is going to be a surprise sleeper hit. Activision has found a way to make sure families buy a new portal with every game. That is getting old. Disney Interactive will let you use the first portal for the second game.

Everyone talking about sequels is so on target. I told the lady beside me with a service dog at the Ubisoft press conference every single game before they announced it. The only one I missed was Shape Up. Even though I despise the Far Cry franchise I found one part of that video funny: "stop. shoot. Do those words sound similar?"

My gripe against Nintendo is two fold. One too many games are coming out in 2015. Two, they are banking on Smash Bros this Christmas. I am sure it will sell, and it will sell Wii U's. But that is it. After Smash Bros, there is not much Wii U related coming out this year. Like 75% of Nintendo's floor space was for Smash Bros. Captain Toad looks tight. Where were their 3DS games? Nintendo had very little for the 3DS there at the show. Does that mean a new hand held is being announced soon? Are they making games for said new hand held? The lack of 2DS/3DS games brings those questions out of me.

Sony - LBP3 looks awesome. Entwined looked intriguing.

Microsoft - Forza Horizon 2 looks amazing. I like the idea of Project Spark going into space.

Bandai Namco had the best room of anyone I visit. Little Orbit was close - but they release so many sub par games I am not sure theirs will be any good. Anyways back to Namco Bandai. Pacman and the ghostly adventures 2 is way better than the first one. They had MotoGP, Tales on the Vita, and Tales of Xillia 2, Tenkai, One Piece, Grid Autosport, and more. Bandai Namco was stacked with plenty of great games for families. Okay Little Orbit - the next Adventure Time game is done like the SNES Zelda. That will be a treat for long time Zelda fans. Plays nice, and looks good. How to Train your Dragon 2 - looks nice. I question how it plays. The Planes game looks good, and seems to play okay. Not sure why the fires never went out after dumping water on them.

There were nasty long lines to get into places - unless you had an appointment. Which we had appointments so we got VIP badges and walked right on by. I know that must have annoyed some people. :) Saw the Gamechurch guys, that was awesome. :) Got my kids one of those Minecraft baby squid stuffed animals. They did not have one yet, and are all into it. Expensive, but it was for them.

The Sony food before their press conference was fantastic. The Microsoft Ubisoft light up wrist bands were cool. The Microsoft one even worked at the Ubisoft press conference. So some of us had double lights going. :) I was able to finish off all the puzzles in Street Pass on my 3DS. That was neat. Along with running into people from all over the world. Chatted with people from Germany, Brazil, Sweden, Japan, and more. I got to hang out with my brother for a few days so that was cool. We stayed in Hollywood just off the red line of the LA Metro. LA Metro worked really well this year for us.

I am going to take a few years off attending in person. I have been to 7 E3's in person, and covered two more from home. The next two I am covering from home. I am no longer in awe of it. It is costly to attend, and the industry needs to have more for our focus before I go back.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Neat, I hope you don't mind me commenting. ^-^
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:We will see if Harvest Moon going Minecraft works.
Whoa really? That's really interesting.
How much Minecraft like is it? When I think of Minecraft I think of crafting, mining, and building with huge blocks. XD
I am going to have to look up a video, I have been thinking about getting another Harvest Moon game.

EDIT: Okay now that I saw the video I can see the similarly in terms of land.
It's kinda like the world is made of Minecraft size slabs.
Pretty interesting, but I would need to see more of it's features,
from the video it looks like it's leaning on the world customization a bit to much as it didn't really show much else.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Two, they are banking on Smash Bros this Christmas. I am sure it will sell, and it will sell Wii U's. But that is it. After Smash Bros, there is not much Wii U related coming out this year.
Well after Smash Bros your pretty much in 2015, (Though now I think of it, that probably wasn't what you ment.)
though yeah till Smash Bros there isn't much if you already have all the Wii U games of interest
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Where were their 3DS games? Nintendo had very little for the 3DS there at the show. Does that mean a new hand held is being announced soon? Are they making games for said new hand held? The lack of 2DS/3DS games brings those questions out of me.
A new handheld? That would be quite a poor move considering how well the 3DS has been doing.
There was still a fair amount of games announced too, as Nintendo's site shows 22 3DS games.
(That's not counting Smash bros, and Pokemon Shappire/Ruby.)
Granted not all of them are for the 3DS only, yet at least half or more are . (If I am correct.)
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:The Sony food before their press conference was fantastic.
Wow, what did they have? :O

Okay end of comments. XD
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, :)
though yeah, I do see why your going to watch the next E3 at home.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
JOJ650s,
One thing I did not like about the new Harvest Moon was you can only dig, and place vertically. So he walked up to a wall of dirt. I was hoping we could dig a cave into that wall. Nope. Only up and down. He showed me building a bridge easily across the river. But you needed the right items, and a recipe (I think it was) to quickly build bridge tiles over the water. The game looks blocky. They were very hesitant to answer my questions about the witch princess and false goddess characters. He did think they were in there at some point.
Story of Seasons from XSeed Games and Marvelous USA is more like the traditional Harvest Moon games. They also have a witch princess and false goddess in it. Their innovation to the franchise was actually really cool. When you come to a three by three grid of dirt, seeds, plants to harvest - you only have to do one action to dig, water, and harvest that 3x3 grid. That was pretty cool to do.
The best simulation game there was Farming Simulator 15. They had this awesome tractor in front of their booth. We had a closed door meeting with them. Machines to cut down and process trees is being added. Not only that, but you can make anything out of the land. Want to turn grass into harvest land? Easy peasy. Want to plant a forest? easy. Want to make a grass meadow? easy. They let you change their landscape almost everywhere - buildings stay where they are. The speed limit problem is being addressed - which was one of our biggest gripes against the franchise.

I guess the problem I have with Nintendo and 2015 is when in 2015? Plus they are notorious for bumping games out farther. Are we talking six months from now? Twelve months? A year and a half? 2015 is a big target.

We have been hearing rumors of a new hand held related to Nintendo. Been floating around for a few months now. Yes 3rd party had quite a few games. But not Nintendo. It stuck out, and was talked about in the media room. Pokémon Art, and Pokémon rehash. :)

Sony brings in food vendors in a part of the parking lot. There are many different food vendors. The angry meatball stuck out in my mind as being really good. There was a Mexican place there that was awesome. Don't recall the name. They had a wide variety of different kinds of food to sample. It was a good hodge podge dinner. :)

Every E3 is an experience. There are good and bad experiences related to it. :)

Best experience this year was chatting with that EA Sports director on Madden NFL 15. He is a Broncos fan, and I am a Seahawks fan. We had an awesome conversation. Plus that game is looking amazing.

Worst experience this year was getting sick from the free food they gave us in the media room. I wound up in the Red Cross room. And I was not the only one sick from that food. Quite a few media people were in there all messed up from it.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
yikes sorry it landed you at the doctor's office :\
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:One thing I did not like about the new Harvest Moon was you can only dig, and place vertically. So he walked up to a wall of dirt. I was hoping we could dig a cave into that wall. Nope. Only up and down.
Ah, I see. Though I suppose it kinda makes sense why they didn't do it, but having a little garden cave would have been pretty neat.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:They were very hesitant to answer my questions about the witch princess and false goddess characters.
Wait, witch princess!? o_O
I know several Harvest Moon games have some havest goddess, but a witch princess? o_O
When did they start doing this? I pretty much only played the old/oldish games.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Story of Seasons from XSeed Games and Marvelous USA is more like the traditional Harvest Moon games.
Yeah, I personally would most likely get this one if I were to pick between the two,
I like the traditional style, not to mention the texture and colors of the artwork give it that nice classic Harvest Moon feel.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Their innovation to the franchise was actually really cool. When you come to a three by three grid of dirt, seeds, plants to harvest - you only have to do one action to dig, water, and harvest that 3x3 grid. That was pretty cool to do.
That's quite interesting, I kinda feel like it would take away from the experience...
but water every single plant every day kinda always has felt like a hassle. XD
Though harvesting that 3x3 squire in one action just doesn't seem as satisfying to me. :P
Regardless, it sounds like you'll have more time in the day to do other things...
I wonder if there will be other things to do will use up that extra time. (other than fishing, mining, talking to the folks.)
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:I guess the problem I have with Nintendo and 2015 is when in 2015? Plus they are notorious for bumping games out farther. Are we talking six months from now? Twelve months? A year and a half? 2015 is a big target.
Yeah, that is true. Though a finished product is better than a rushed one.
Though I do understand that waiting can be hard sometimes.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:We have been hearing rumors of a new hand held related to Nintendo. Been floating around for a few months now. Yes 3rd party had quite a few games. But not Nintendo.
Hmm, you are right that only two games are first party. (If you don't count the pokemon art game.)
Though it would be unwise to make a new handheld. (unless it's like a 2DS or 3DSXL/not a next gen handheld.)
To drop support for a system that has quite the following, and so soon at that... just doesn't make sense.
Rather I think Nintendo is going all hands on deck with the Wii U for now to make it successful,
it's like how an E3s or two ago Nintendo didn't do much for the Wii U,
but insured the 3DS' success by giving it a great line-up.
Currently the 3DS has a nice line-up from 3rd-party support alone,
so this makes it the most ideal time to focus on the Wii U, it's a wise business move I think.

I just can't give rumors that don't sense credit till said rumor happens. :wink:
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Pokémon rehash.
Pokemon rehash are best kind of rehash out there. ^-^
Gamefreak doesn't disappoint with pokemon remakes,
HeartGold was amazing, not only did it have several features (big and small) that Gold didn't have,
but it also had a number of features the previous pokemon game lacked.
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:Sony brings in food vendors in a part of the parking lot. There are many different food vendors. The angry meatball stuck out in my mind as being really good. There was a Mexican place there that was awesome. Don't recall the name. They had a wide variety of different kinds of food to sample. It was a good hodge podge dinner.
Yum! I am now really hungry. XD
I am curious, did any vendors try to do anything video game themed with their food, or was it just yummy food? ^-^

Yikes with the bad free food thing, that must have been a bummer. :(
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.