Minecraft and Education

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I'm sure that many homeschoolers here already have Minecraft as part of their curriculum, but I found this blog posting about one woman's experiences with her son to be interesting!

Although I haven't played it much, and my efforts to get into the game were laughably pathetic, there has been some talk about adding it to our household as well.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Can't see the article (not a small chance it's my very odd work filter/network), but I love seeing when gaming can be used as both an educational tool and as a way to greatly increase someone's quality of life.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
My kids love playing in creative mode, it's amazing to watch their imaginations run wild!
sorenthejack
Noob
Noob
I'm a homeschooler and now am playing on a homeschool server called Skrafty. I think I'm going to take one of the classes on science in the fall on there too :)
EvergreenAcademy101
Noob
Noob
We homeschool as well and my kids have asked me to look into minecraft. This is all very new to me, but I am looking forward to learning something new with them.
Psalm_51
Noob
Noob
Im surprised that Minecraft has graduated to educational level. Ive only seen that once before, and that was age of empires.
mcfan2000
Noob
Noob
i love minecraft, but i usually have a hard time with servers, but good thing i found this server, i hope ill fit in, by the way, please make sure that the head people here can see messages, cause some people sometimes will message me nasty stuff.
Chas991
Noob
Noob
Educational? In a manner, sure. I'm playing the thing for fun--if that's the word--maybe it's a competition thing as well--trying to make the most efficient use of resources. Hmm. Anyway, been at it for a month or so and I seem quite satisfied with single player mode.
I've looked at a few youtubes on Minecraft playing and have seen everything from "Let's Play", to deliberately burning things down for the fun of it. I suppose this is a game that is what you make of it.

~~just some thoughts... )
Minecrafty
Noob
Noob
Was it in Sweeden or some European country that MC was part of a currriculem? Idk, but they do have summer classes for MC Artwork which as far as I know just teaches kids to use stairs more efficiently.
So (insert meaning of life and REALLY important stuffs here) and that's what I'm all about!

Life is about the Journey!