SpaceJourney! -- space simulation in a first person view!

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
LAVA89
In SpaceJourney, you assume the role of a lone space pilot in a small cruiser. You fly through the galaxy exploring the unknown.

Being that you're the sole commander of your ship, you command it manually from the inside. And not only can you walk inside your small ship, but you can also walk outside of it-- top, sides, bottom and all around the ship; using anti-gravity.

Through your travels you'll run into hazards (like meteors and spiders) which you will shoot with a gun in the style of a first person shooter and enemy spaceships which you will battle through your vessel's defense and weapon systems in the style of a tactical combat game.

It is foremost a sandbox game that combines first person shooting, space simulation and adventure elements.

The objective of this current version of the game is to go to four different sectors and find four pieces to an artifact.

Trailer

Download (version 1.2.1)

Screens
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Controls

Use WASD keys to move forward and strafe.
Press R or Right Mouse Button to switch between hand and gun mode.

Hand mode allows you to pick up objects and click on interface buttons. While gun mode is for shooting enemies and grabbing objects.[/color]

F1 - Help Screen
F2 - Options

Left and Right arrows turn your ship, but only when you are at console at the front of the ship's bridge \ cabin.

esc \ escape - pauses.

The rest of the controls (like for the ship) are pretty self explanatory but feel free to ask!

I have many updates planned, which will include just basic bug-busting but also significant additions, but I feel that this release captures what I had in mind since I started this project. Here's what I have planned in future (potential spoilers):
Spoiler:
- Interface on laser gun, giving the player more stats when they're away from the ship
- Achievements
- Improved Spiders that can walk around the sides and bottom of the ship, like the player can
- Some more graphical updates (like possible motion blur when warping)
- Communication system (i.e. A radio which can play music and receive distress calls)
- A form of currency and trade with friendly non-player ships.
- being able to save your game
- moar polish!
- items that can be picked up and moved around.
- A tow-able freighter (will expand on this when I get closer to releasing this update)
- boarding enemy vessels and having gun fights
- Sleeping \ dreaming
- moar polish!
Last edited by LAVA89 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Hey, hey! Looking good! Looking forward to trying it out!
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
LAVA89
Thanks Arch! I appreciate that!

I hope you like it (I mean, it is space and stuffs like thats).
LAVA89
SpaceJourney got featured on indieDB's front page!

Its the first entry in the news banner at the top of the front page! (if you don't see it, press F5 and it will pop up at the first one)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
OKay so I brought in the first space artifact so I'm familiar with the two computers and I'm armed with a gun...how do I exit the ship? I don't see any menus when I walk in front of the space suit. What am I missing?

Neat game, I like the music and sound effects.
LAVA89
Oh, ok....sorry if this wasn't made clear...you have to walk up to the suit, till it turns blue when you hover the cursor over it. Once it turns blue, you can click on the suit and the player will put it on. Then the glass lift door should come down when you walk up to it, located back by the second computer. Once you walk inside the lift, gold arrows will appear, allowing you to use it.

In this pic, the lift is on the left hand side, where the black and yellow arrows are.

And many thanks for playing!

As for sound and music, its the only thing I cannot take credit for. I can only thank the people of freesound.org and Kevin Macleod! (if you want to know who did what, their credits are in the readme file) But thanks anways!
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
You made good choices when picking the sounds and music to use, nothing too distracting or obnoxious :D
LAVA89
ccgr wrote:You made good choices when picking the sounds and music to use, nothing too distracting or obnoxious :D
Well, thank you! I appreciate that.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Looks awesome. :O
LAVA89
Chozon1 wrote:Looks awesome. :O
Thank you!
Kwan
Wow, it looks great! I'll be sure to try it out.
LAVA89
Kwan wrote:Wow, it looks great! I'll be sure to try it out.
Thank you very much! Feel free to tell me what you think!

I can take honest (but constructive criticism), it can only make the game better!
LAVA89
SpaceJourney is up for vote to be best indie game of 2013. If you feel its worth your vote, by all means, please vote!
LAVA89
Ok, I made a new update, Version 1.2.1!

NEW Trailer:

Download

Screens
ImageImageImage

Major changes:
(*) Three new features added to the gun: RUDDER, JUMP and STAT
All of which are designed to make the game play more fluidly. For instance, the rudder mode allows the player to control the ship while standing on the exterior of the ship. The other two functions give the player info while they are outside of the ship. The new trailer, posted above, shows these functions off so you can see them in action!

(*)Laser on the gun has been improved:
That annoying glitch where the laser would move with you after shooting it is GONE.

Now...I admit that this isn't much. My intended plan was to release smaller updates in shorter spans of time. However, since I haven't had time to work on anything until this summer, I was basically sitting on this update and thought I might as well get it out and move on to the next version.

I also wanted to make more updates to optimize the game's performance, and wasn't able to find a solution-- primarily because I don't own a computer that was having the same issues that people were reporting. In the future I might consolidate some of the textures, since I did use multiple textures for one model, which I'm sure eats up memory on the game, but that would be a pretty extensive update.

At best, I can smooth out the gun's aiming motion in the next update and I did flix the glitch on the gun's laser for this latest version. So hopefully it will be slighly less irritating. And save games will definitely be in the next update.
CodePro1.0
Noob
Noob
Looks great LAVA89! However, I think the download link for me is not working for some reason... Keep it up mate!

~CodePro1.0~