Sandbox Genre forum

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts

Should we add one?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 6
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
Should we add one?
blacksinow
It's sandbox, one word and not two. But with that inmind, I think it's an excellent idea since sandbox games are essentially a genre of their own. What is a sandbox game, must be in the minds of some of you and I'll explain.

A sandbox game consists of the following...

- Non-Linear game mechanics to allow you to diverge from your story. So you could say... play through the taxi missions in a GTA 3 game or participate in another activity of similar design. They are activities that have no influence to the plot whatsoever.
- Every sandbox game offers city exploration. Infamous 2, GTA 3 and Sleeping Dogs are just three examples of this.
- Your character can effect the citizens around you. From healing them (Infamous 2 for example) or harming them (GTA 3, Saints Row, etc), you can also inspire fear or other similar emotions from them.
- And every sandbox game has a few activities that are rarely, if ever seen in an rpg... Such as buying cosmetic items (Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs), improving the appearance of your car (most if not all saints row games, sleeping dogs to name a few), or even playing at the arcane (Shenmue).

An rpg is vastly different in that it is typically set in an environment that is typically foreign to modern-day Earth. It can be the past or even the future, but it will always diverge from the present. This obviously becomes different with comic-themed rpgs (such as Marvel Ultimate Alliance). There are other things that make an RPG an RPG and not a sandbox game. You are typically restricted to one weapon per battle. In the case of a sandbox, you have a variety of weapons (this excludes infamous, but it is still a sandboxer none the less.)
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm not sure if sandbox is really a genre; perhaps a sub-genre, but not normal genre. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a separate forum for it.
blacksinow
It's different enough though, to have it's own category. Mostly because it's comprised of components from multiple genres. The culmination of so many aspects make it a truly unique sub-genre.
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
blacksinow wrote:It's different enough though, to have it's own category. Mostly because it's comprised of components from multiple genres. The culmination of so many aspects make it a truly unique sub-genre.
Oh I agree, I suppose I'm just wrapped up in semantics. :P
blacksinow
We're all guilty of that my friend. :p
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, and a couple others come to mind. It may be helpful.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Any of the Elder Scrolls games also would qualify, as well as a good number of MMOs (such as Minecraft, which has been previously mentioned). It makes me wonder if the genre might be too diversified, though. I wouldn't think to look for information about, say, EVE online in the same forum as Saints Row.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Elder Scrolls are RPGs, though, MineCraft isn't an MMO, and Eve Online is... a lot of things XD
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
blacksinow
Chickensoup, don't take this the wrong way but that is a ludicris statement. Kerbal Space Program isn't even considered to be an open world aka sandbox game, mostly because it does have any of the specifics that are often seen in games such as Grand Theft Auto, Infamous or Saints Row. An open world game aka sandbox game allows the exploration of a vast cityscape, and ofcourse Minescape is considered to definitely be a sandbox game of the best definition. With KSP, all you typically do is build spaceships, launch them, and watch them crash. I've seen a friend play the game, so I know what I'm talking about.

MMORPGs don't count either as they are MMORPGs and nothing else. The option to play them in a single or multiplayer mode do not exist. For example, in World of Warcraft, you can go into the Deadmines at level 15 solo will result in your character being killed. In Saints Row, you can be of equal circumstances and complete a mission without the help of players. And last I checked, it is impossible to play an mmorpg offline.

Yes, Elder Scrolls games are considered to be open world RPGs, but NOT sandbox games. They are more rpg then sandbox, and that is the distinction. Also, as I've established... sandbox games are hybrids of different genres. So, a first person shooter is a first person shooter and not a sandbox game. A role playing game is a role playing game and not a sandbox game.

And anything you can do in GTA, you CANNOT do in Eve Online.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
I'm uncertain I see the purpose, since most Sandbox titles can be filed under other subforums if needed. That said, I also don't see the harm in it (except if it would be hard to do, and the possibility of having yet another unused subforum).
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I suppose that's the problem with creating a forum like this. What's meant to go in it? Puzzle platformers tend to have the same problem; they don't really need their own section, but they don't quite fit into an existing area either. :/
delve
The definition used here is in my opinion needlessly specific to the point of having no categorical value.
blacksinow
Alright then tell me, just where do games such as Infamous and Prototype go into in these forums? Games like those have a genre of their own, I'm sorry that you seem too simple-minded to understand.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Dude, we're talking about game genres. Calm down. It's not a matter of anyone being simple-minded.

Except, by the way, it's spelled "ludicrous."