Should Sony get out of the hardware business? FFG article

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
FamilyFriendlyGaming
my bad. :)
blacksinow
First and foremost, this article is drivel. By looking at the libraries of the PS3 and 360, anyone could assume that they aren't family friendly. This article is also reinforcing the stereotype that Christian gamers are either too simple-minded or blind. If you were really as observant, as I believe you to assume, then you would know that Nintendo almost always had a typically rocky start. The 3DS is only one example of this. People weren't impressed (at first) with it's limited game library, and the console didn't really impress people all that much. But then something happened, it started to pick up in game developement. And now look at it, it is doing stupidly well... The PS VITA on the other hand, I believe that once the PS4 is out, we will see an acceleration in the PS VITA library.

And Nintendo had THREE great consoles out, even four or five straight I'd dare say. The NES (which SAVED gaming), Super NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color (they are seperate). Seriously, quit making us look bad.

Oh and by the way, leaving gaming to microsoft... what a joke. They can't even keep their console dashboards useful.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Read the article... it sounds like the author read somebody who said that Nintendo should go 3rd party and this was a knee-jerk reaction. I'd really be interested in seeing who these inside sources were he talked to, and what exactly they said, because that whole quote does not sound legit. Even if PS3 was last (which the author didn't prove), that does not mean it is a failure. I also own a Vita, and it's a really impressive piece of hardware with a lot of potential that Sony hasn't tapped yet, so I wouldn't say it's dead in the water yet.

I'm not a Sony fanboy myself. I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox 360 and the Wii, and I have zero interest in the Wii U, but I love Nintendo's franchises. I just am tired of their gimmicky hardware. I'm also a little miffed that they went with low powered hardware on the Wii then practically stopped supporting the thing for the last 3 years or so before the Wii U came out. So for me, Nintendo going 3rd party is win-win. Great franchises on Sony or MS's powerful hardware.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
blacksinow
I know one thing, the idea of Microsoft dominating as the gaming presence scares me. This is a company that only ruins their own dashboard with each major update. Anyone remember the latest update that added Bing and Kinect accessibility? I USED to like the marketplace interface, it was accessible and easy to use. It had a good layout, why ruin it with something so useless? Sony on the other hand, their main concern has always been gaming, this is appearant with creative titles such as Little Big Planet. Microsoft does not have this (Halo hardly counts). I'll admit though, that Sony has had HUGE problems with the PSP. But this is only because of their choice in design for the software, it became a security risk, and companies didn't care for this one bit. But the PSP did make one heck of a multimedia player. And one thing is certain about Nintendo, they are quirky and fun, people love their consoles because of them being quirky and fun. The 3DS and Wii to name a few, the Wii-U isn't any different in this respect.
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I think Sony might have the opportunity to come out on top with this console. It sounds like there are some things that Sony is planning that might interest some consumers (in fact, one of the things that FFG posted saying they wanted with the Wii - namely, having the ability to play Wii U games on the 3DS and allowing the Game Pad to serve as a portable gaming device - are quite similar to something Sony is planning with the PS4 and the Vita).

I'm not saying that the PS4 won't stink. It easily could. But all it needs to do is stink less than the other two consoles. So far, the Wii U has had lackluster sales, and there are quite a few concerns about the Xbox One as well. Sony has the opportunity to turn things around... time will tell if they take advantage of it.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: I'm not saying that the PS4 won't stink. It easily could. But all it needs to do is stink less than the other two consoles. So far, the Wii U has had lackluster sales, and there are quite a few concerns about the Xbox One as well. Sony has the opportunity to turn things around... time will tell if they take advantage of it.
I'm not in the market for a new console for a long, long time, but I'd agree here. If I had to buy one, I think Sony'd be the company to get my money.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Let's not jump the gun with Sony just yet.

Nobody knows what this is, so we'll have to wait and see........

http://www.eteknix.com/sega-spectrum-a- ... rtainment/
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
DeadManReedeemed wrote:Let's not jump the gun with Sony just yet.

True, and I don't think anyone should discount the Steambox and the Ouya yet, either. It's possible that the Big Three could just stumble and create the chance for another lesser-known competitor to make a name for themselves. After all, it's happened before....
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
DeadManReedeemed wrote:Let's not jump the gun with Sony just yet.

I'll probably stick with the PS4. :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote:True, and I don't think anyone should discount the Steambox and the Ouya yet, either. It's possible that the Big Three could just stumble and create the chance for another lesser-known competitor to make a name for themselves. After all, it's happened before....

Finally, someone gets it.

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
DeadManReedeemed wrote:
Sstavix wrote:True, and I don't think anyone should discount the Steambox and the Ouya yet, either. It's possible that the Big Three could just stumble and create the chance for another lesser-known competitor to make a name for themselves. After all, it's happened before....

Finally, someone gets it.
I've been around long enough to see it. :P My first computer was a Tandy TRS-80. My first video game console was an Atari 5200 (and actually, it was my parents'). Good luck finding either of those any more, outside of eBay....
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Sstavix,
Excellent points. I love the interaction between the PS Vita and the PS3 right now. Being able to play a game on the Vita, save it on the Cloud, and then pick it up on the PS3 is awesome. Reminds me of what NEC did back in the 16-bit era. Their game cartridges worked on both the home console and their hand held. That kind of flexibility is what the industry needs.

I also love hearing about how the PS4 and Vita will work together. Sony is being very intelligent about taking away any advantage Nintendo may think they have with the Wii U Gamepad. Being able to do the same thing with the PS4 and Vita is awesome. :)

I also think when it comes to the names of the next generation consoles - Sony won. They took the safe route with the Playstation 4 name; but I like that more than Xbox One, and Wii U.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer

I'm thinking Sony pretty much won E3.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote:

I'm thinking Sony pretty much won E3.

Nice find. Long time no see.

― Criss Jami