Just checking to see if I'm a horrible person...

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
I wrote this. It was edited and promoted, and that's totally awesome. HOWEVER, everyone who reads it seems to hate it. Am I losing my touch, or did I just write an awful article?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nice write up but I don't agree. I enjoy my 3DS XL (currently playing Sticker Star and enjoying it immensely) but the Wii U is too early to tell yet. From what I've played it's been enjoyable but I'm curious what other titles will come out for it.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I guess I'm not really put off from it because I never really cared for Nintendo and I never took their more recent consoles seriously.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I read through the comments and it seems to me that Nintendo fanboys can't take any criticism. Stick to your guns and write what you want to write. God forbid people get fed up with Nintendo's gimmicky console development
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote:I read through the comments and it seems to me that Nintendo fanboys can't take any criticism. Stick to your guns and write what you want to write. God forbid people get fed up with Nintendo's gimmicky console development
^this.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArcticFox wrote:
ChickenSoup wrote:I read through the comments and it seems to me that Nintendo fanboys can't take any criticism. Stick to your guns and write what you want to write. God forbid people get fed up with Nintendo's gimmicky console development
^this.
^that.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
Nintendo not thinking is also a reason. The original Wii allowed people to play GameCube games. That way, those who had a GameCube no longer needed a GameCube, and neither did those who didn't have one. From the new Wii redesign on up, Nintendo has disappointed me..........

They didn't bother to make GameCube games downloadable on Wii U? Maybe make a system update or make a new reasonably-priced Wii U brand GameCube Wireless controller? Come on.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
I just skimmed the article, but brother, I agree, and I've felt that way since about three years after the Wii came out. Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business and go third party already. Seriously, I think the Gamecube was Nintendo's last great system, and even that one stopped seeing very much support too early in its lifespan. The Wii was great at first, but again, they stopped supporting the durn thing way too early... besides that, for every good game there were dump trucks full of shovelware. They're reminding me of the way Sega was towards the end of their hardware run. I'm a big fan of their franchises, but even those are starting to wear thin. Really, there are very few games I play on a Nintendo system these days that don't have me thinking how much better they would be on an Xbox 360 or PS3.

So keep on preaching the truth, bro. Nintendo just has some rabid fanboys who, like C$ said, can't take criticism towards their precious golden calf.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I think it was a well-written article, only some people disagreed with your opinions. I think you make some valid points, but I largely disagree as well. I don't really think I'm a Nintendo fanboy (although I might be and just don't know it, since I don't own a (working) Playstation and I refuse to get an Xbox...), but I like the innovative designs that Nintendo pops out every few years.

I highly doubt that they'll stop making hardware, though, even though they should really work on software development and perhaps severely ramp up the quality control (in order to decrease the repeated instances of shovelware that floods the stores). The hardware brings in plenty of money and helps keep Nintendo afloat. So I don't see that model changing any time soon. They may eventually go the way of Sega, but that won't happen for a few years, now that the Wii has breathed new life into their hardware R&D.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
It's not poorly written, but I think it's poorly thought-out.

Remember, Sega's mistakes include the 32x, the Sega CD, numerous failing handhelds, and the Dreamcast, which was a wonderful system but failed in large part due to Sega's poor marketing.

Nintendo has not had that problem recently, and I don't believe that the Wii U is going to be indicative of Nintendo's failure, especially coming off the massive success of the Wii. In fact, I believe that it's too early to call; the Wii U just came out, and it'll be interesting to see what developers do with the console, which, I understand, is one of your main complaints with the very existence of the system itself.

As for your idea of standardized system controls, that's been something that's been done for ages. Nintendo has gone against the grain for years: the N64's controller is a pretty early example of this, and its analog stick forced Sony into creating the DualShock controller (if you'll remember, early PS1 controllers were D-pad only).

Honestly, I think that Nintendo's continued drive to march to its own beat has resulted in not only some of the best games in recent years, but also increased innovation in the industry. Where would the gaming industry be without the Wii? Would we see developers playing with new ways to interface, as was urged by the Wii?

Just because Nintendo hasn't kept the same controller design for two console generations (and really, let's be honest, the Wii U still uses the Remote to control games; it just adds the GamePad) doesn't mean that it's a system that should be written off.

(Also, for future reference, don't dismiss the Gamecube. It was a great little system, and it blew the PS2 out of the water when it came to visuals and audio. It just suffered from lacking third-party support, which doesn't seem to be a problem with the Wii U.)

Give the Wii U a year or two. See what happens. Make up your mind then. I think that's the onus of the responses, barring the Nintendo fanboys and their idiocy.

In response to Sstavix:

The shovelware that flooded the Wii was a result of it being considered a toy. Nintendo doesn't control the quality of third-party games on their system anymore, and hasn't since at least the N64.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Drewsov wrote:It's not poorly written, but I think it's poorly thought-out.
Yeah, I can agree with that. I push myself to tackle tougher subjects, and this tends to be a more common result. There are parts of the article that I wish I could redo or correct. The GameCube was an underwhelming system to me, but that was due to it's smaller disc space, and I should have been more specific. I could have given more reasons why Nintendo would help the industry if they stopped making hardware; I didn't. I could have reworded a few sentences; I didn't.

I could have done better and I didn't. What I realized yesterday though, is that someone actually thought it was good. Like, worthy enough to edit and promote. And no matter how many people disagree with it, that article will still be sitting proudly on GamesBeat. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for reading the article guys.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
(Also, for future reference, don't dismiss the Gamecube. It was a great little system, and it blew the PS2 out of the water when it came to visuals and audio. It just suffered from lacking third-party support, which doesn't seem to be a problem with the Wii U.)
Also, its controller is still my favorite ever. So freakin' comfortable.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ChickenSoup wrote:
Also, its controller is still my favorite ever. So freakin' comfortable.
Agreed. Everything made too much sense. Even if I'm a little late to the party as far as the little purple lunchbox is concerned, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Nintendo struck gold with that thing.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
And let's not forget the GameCube functionality being forgotten.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Drewsov wrote: In response to Sstavix:

The shovelware that flooded the Wii was a result of it being considered a toy. Nintendo doesn't control the quality of third-party games on their system anymore, and hasn't since at least the N64.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Perhaps Nintendo should change their policy and get back to more quality control. The last Nintendo system I owned was the Super Nintendo, and I remember that even the poorest games I owned (B.O.B., The 7th Saga) were adequate, in contrast to some of the abysmal - even unplayable - titles that have appeared on the Wii.