So has anyone managed to buy a Wii-U yet?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Eh, reviews are a little mixed, but I'm going to have to agree with Drew and Chozon. It looks fun, atmospheric, and most importantly, freakin' awesome.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Drewsov wrote:Cheryl, either you or Jay should pick up and play through ZombiU.

I'm hearing it's the unsung "amazing game" of the early launch lineup.

Will keep it in mind, I have heard good things. So far we have Nintendoland (came with it) and the new Mario for it. Not keen on paying $60 a game, especially where there's a PC version out (Scribblenauts, Epic Mickey). Got the Mario game with a buy 1 get one 40% off, the other title was the Kirby Collection.

Will hold off on more titles until I see sales or pay off Christmas bills
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
I think "ZombiU" was a good idea. It could have been a killer app if it got a little more momentum (and of course, a little gameplay refinement).

Atmospheric? Very. Is the "one-bite out" concept a little more fun than the "oh, it should seem I'm mysteriously immune to the disease" scenario we've seen before? Absolutely.

Did they put a lot of work into the concepts? Yes. But from what I've heard, it lacks sorta in the gameplay. The "one-bite out" concept works a little better on paper than ingame, but the main beef is the plot (it doesn't seem to have a strong storyline, and this isn't the kind of a game where no real backstory is needed, i.e. Lego Star Wars).
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Scotch, have you played it? It sounds like you're both speaking from experience and speaking from what you've heard. I don't know which it is.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
sheesh........ :shock:
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
it's a good question, I assumed the latter
FamilyFriendlyGaming
I have not been around in awhile. I swung by to read opinions on the Wii U. And to give mine.

First off we predicted the Wii would be a success. We predicted the Kinect would be a success. We have made no predictions on the Wii U. Take from that what you will.

Yolanda put five dollars down to get a basic unit at our local Target. Like ccgr, I really wanted the deluxe model. Mainly because it would give us NintendoLand, more memory and that online discount program from Nintendo. We showed up to the store five minutes before they opened on launch day. There were a couple of people waiting. We went up to the door, and some more people got out of their cars after us. There were a total of 7 people there (a mom and her son counted as one if you catch my drift). Three of the guys there were not there for Wii U's. They were there for Skylander Giants which was on sale for 49.99. That left four groups for the Wii U.

Our target had two shopping carts full of deluxe models and two shopping carts full of basic models. I am guessing 10-15 of each. I was more concerned with could we get a deluxe. The Target employee told us it was first come first serve and the pre-buys did not matter. So we got a deluxe and quietly whistled out the door.

FFG had received 5 games before launch so we had stuff to play. I have still not purchased a game yet since games keep coming in.

BTW if the the game has a big bold 'M' on the lower left hand corner I have no interest, or insight or opinion. Aside from no thank you, and not for me.

My opinion of the Wii U thus far is it is better than the Wii. Graphics are as good as PS3, and Xbox 360 games, maybe slightly better. I do believe the Wii U is going to get blown out of the water when the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out. This is coming from someone accused (more than once) of being a Nintendo fanboy.

The whole play it on the Wii U Gamepad and not the television depends on the game. Some games do that, and some use the Wii U Gamepad as the controller. I don't see this as better than Kinect.

NintendoLand - sucks. Sorry I absolutely hate this game. And its not worth 60 bucks.

Madden NFL 13 - Awesome on the Wii U. Totally digging it.

New Super Mario U - too expensive. Nintendo's PR firm is playing their mind games again, and I won't pony up 60 bucks for it.

Funky Barn - AWESOME!! The whole going back and forth between looking at the Wii U Gamepad and the TV screen was weird at first. Once I figured it out, and had my son help me (four eyes are better than two) we were all into this game.

TANK! TANK! TANK! - Tons of fun, and great humor. Getting a lot of replay.

ESPN SPORTS Connection - surprisingly fun. Way better than expected.

Rabbids Land - great party game until a Mario Party game arrives.

Ben 10 Omnniverse - lame game already. Lame port.

Game Party Champions - okay. But that air hockey game hurts physically to play.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 - Kinect exercise titles beat this one easily. Its Wii controls with Xbox 360 graphics and Wii U menu screens.

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - Lame.

I have read conflicting reports on the 5G update. Some places claim its not that large. I don't know one way or the other. I did transfer our Wii save data to the Wii U. It failed twice, until we deleted a majority of our saves. It died on one game save, so we deleted it, and then it died on the next one. Decided to trim it down. My thought was there might be a ceiling to how much can be transferred. Since we used it for FFG, we had a lot of game saves. Eventually did get it working and thats cool.

The whole social aspect of the Wii U - lame. I am sorry, but I could care less how many poeple are playing games Nintendo puts up on the television screen. Although that screen can be swapped to the Gamepad. Anyways maybe it will get better when I play a game that has it inside there, and can read advice on how to beat a level.

All in all I feel like the jury is still out on the Wii U. It is not a slam dunk, or a home run. It is not an immediately failure like the Virtual Boy. Maybe another Gamecube. Although I think it will be better than the Gamecube.

Right now I feel like its overpriced.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hey there, welcome back!

I think the deluxe is definitely worth the extra $50 The 32GB memory on it is good if you buy games from the eshop (we don't). The cradle is nice but can live without. Nintendo Land is entertaining but I'm glad we didn't pay full retail price for it. I'll write up a review on it after I try all of the attractions. Haven't played Mario yet on it.

Disappointed in the Wii mode (not a fan of the segregation) and the interface is sooo slow on it. I dread clicking on a menu item since it has 20 second load screen and the major update took over an hour to download and install on our business class cable.

Haven't stressed the graphics on it but I hear it's on par with current generation systems. Curious if the Wii U will get left in the dust after Microsoft and Sony release their upcoming systems.
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Yeah, if even FFG is unenthusiastic about the Wii U, I really don't see myself shelling out $300+ for it. I don't remember if that's the exact price point either... I just don't care enough to look it up. I don't care to shell out $100 bucks for it. In my humble opinion, Nintendo needs to drop the hardware and go third party already. I mean, HD graphics? Welcome to 2005. Social media? I'm sick enough of Facebook without having it invade my gaming time. Gimmicky controller? I'm getting a serious sense of deja vu... are they going to back it up with more than 2 quality games a year?

And before I'm accused of being a black knight against the big N, I've been a pretty big fan of theirs over the years. I've owned most of their systems, and as I grew up with the NES and SNES, there's a lot of nostalgia there. The Wii was the last straw for me, and heck, even after that I recently bought a 3DS (note: I usually play my Vita instead, and when I do break out the thing, it's usually to play old fashioned DS games). Nintendo needs to stay away from the gimmicks, keep their hardward up to date, and just... concentrate on putting out more AAA games instead of polluting Gamestop shelves with endless shovelware aimed at the kiddies.

EDIT: Also: Good to see you back, FFG. :)
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
FamilyFriendlyGaming wrote:I have not been around in awhile. I swung by to read opinions on the Wii U. And to give mine.

In all seriousness, welcome back and thanks for the input :)
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested