god in video games

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Bluesharky
Are you human?: Yes!
is it bad for stuff based on stuff from the bible ?

like the pokemon Arceus who is based of god. is something bad about that ?
Sstavix
CCGR addict
In regards to this specific example, I wouldn't worry about it. The world of Pokemon is clearly different from our world, so I would regard any deific aspects of Pokemon to be about as relevant to real-world faiths as those in the elder Scrolls game or the Greyhawk D&D campaign setting. Polytheism seems to be commonplace in most fantasy settings, but it's interesting to take note that the gods that appear in these mediums are vastly, greatly more limited in power and knowledge than our own Heavenly Father.

That being said, I do think that there is reason to be concerned when game designers do depict the Christian (or Jewish or Islamic) God in video games - especially when said depiction places God in the role of the major villain or antagonist. Even if the game designer didn't intend to show religion in a negative light (due to cultural differences, usually), I think it's something to think about as players of these games. What kinds of messages are we receiving? And are these messages that we agree with?
DeadManReedeemed
CCGR addict
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metaron is just some stupid ripoff of the book of Enoch.

They took a piece of it and sugarcoated it making up a story. It's stupid.
“The humble sinner will sometimes be interpreted as one of the filthiest in the eyes of man yet immersed in the eyes of God, and this is due to the volition of honesty regarding his own corruption.”

― Criss Jami
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
DeadManReedeemed wrote:El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metaron is just some stupid ripoff of the book of Enoch.

They took a piece of it and sugarcoated it making up a story. It's stupid.
Wow, okay. I disagree, but your mind seems pretty set on this one.

When was the last time you read Enoch, honestly? haha I love Enoch personally, but in American Christianity it doesn't really fit the American dream Christianity so it kinda gets ignored. I mean, what would you do if God asked you to marry a prostitute?
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Marry her? Is that really so terrible?
I mean, she'd still be a person with hopes and fears, dreams and regrets, and maybe some rashes.

This pales in comparison to, oh, I don't know, God asking someone to kill his son.
Or to wipe out every last man, woman, and child of a particular tribe.
Or asking every man to cut the tip of his willy off.
That really ranks low on the scale.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Pheonix
Forum Moderator
ArchAngel wrote:Marry her? Is that really so terrible?
I mean, she'd still be a person with hopes and fears, dreams and regrets, and maybe some rashes.

This pales in comparison to, oh, I don't know, God asking someone to kill his son.
Or to wipe out every last man, woman, and child of a particular tribe.
Or asking every man to cut the tip of his willy off.
That really ranks low on the scale.
Definitely not what I was trying to say. I was saying, now, in a modern American-Christian group, you would be an outcast and probably "excommunicated" if you felt called to marry a well-known prostitute. I wasn't saying that's the worst thing ever, and I wasn't comparing it to any of those examples, all of which, you're right, I have always struggled to accept. I was just putting in a easy to relate way to give it some impact. I believe the New Testament is very clear about at least the latter two things you brought up and is very clear on obeying God's will, both with Enoch and Abraham. However, I am not going to discuss Holy War, Isaac, or circumcision in this thread, because it's not related.
OI! I have a Tumblr. You could follow it if you want,

New member? Want to get those first 15 posts? This should help.
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I imagine it's much more socially acceptable to marry a prostitute nowadays than before. If a person would be outcast like that, you're in the completely wrong group. I refuse to associate myself with any group that thinks that is okay.

I wasn't making it out to seem like you were saying it was the worst thing, but you cited it as an example why it's not accepted as part of scripture, while yet we accept the other parts I mentioned which as you already admitted are far worse. Do you not see the discrepancy?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Not to be nitpicky, but what does this have to do with depictions of God in video games? Seems a little bit sidetracked... :wink:

Just out of curiosity, can anyone think of a video game (outside of those games that are specifically classified as Christian) that depicts the Christian God - or at least a singular supreme deity - in a positive light? I've been racking my brain and I couldn't think of one....
Noobyhead99
Sstavix wrote:Not to be nitpicky, but what does this have to do with depictions of God in video games? Seems a little bit sidetracked... :wink:

Just out of curiosity, can anyone think of a video game (outside of those games that are specifically classified as Christian) that depicts the Christian God - or at least a singular supreme deity - in a positive light? I've been racking my brain and I couldn't think of one....
Well, what about From Dust? You're the singular supreme deity, and you're helping the little tribespeople along as they go. I haven't played it, but I wouldn't be suprised if there are sections where the people show appreciation of you.
Spoiler:
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
(Quoting Pheonix's original post because I'd rather not quote the entire argument)
Pheonix wrote:..but in American Christianity it doesn't really fit the American dream Christianity so it kinda gets ignored. I mean, what would you do if God asked you to marry a prostitute?
You guys realize that Hosea (Which IS canon) is also about God telling someone to marry a prostitute, right?

Unless that was your point, and I'm just super dense.
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Sstavix wrote:Not to be nitpicky, but what does this have to do with depictions of God in video games? Seems a little bit sidetracked... :wink:

Hm... I know there's Dante's Inferno, but it'd be a bit self defeating to play a game to see glory to God when that game is composed rather heavilly of occasionally gruesome demon killing. After all, Visceral Games was the mastermind behind this title, and they're the guys behind Dead Space. The tale of Dante is still a very interesting one to me though.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
Deepfreeze32 wrote:(Quoting Pheonix's original post because I'd rather not quote the entire argument)
Pheonix wrote:..but in American Christianity it doesn't really fit the American dream Christianity so it kinda gets ignored. I mean, what would you do if God asked you to marry a prostitute?
You guys realize that Hosea (Which IS canon) is also about God telling someone to marry a prostitute, right?

Unless that was your point, and I'm just super dense.
Maybe I'm just as dense, but I can't recall such a thing at all in Enoch. Enoch was mostly Judaic mysticism as I recall it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Having not read Enoch, I can't say either way. :P
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Is it bad that whenever I see or hear the word "Enoch" I think of an Altrusian?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
ArcticFox wrote:Is it bad that whenever I see or hear the word "Enoch" I think of an Altrusian?
Yes. That's very bad. Why does the Bible make you think of Sleestaks again?
[Insert witty afterthought here]