Building a Computer

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ScotchRobbins
VIP Member
VIP Member
Are you human?: Yes!
Have you assembled a computer?

No. I would also like to. My current rig is weak.

Did you enjoy it? That is, was it fun?

It sounds like fun. I'm gonna do it.

Where did you get your parts?

I'd go to Newegg. XD

What parts did you use?

I didn't.

How is it cooled?

I've heard everything from fans to water cooling. I'll probably give up and go with a simple fan.

How long did it take?

To assemble? An hour. To collect parts? Six months.

What operating system did you use?

I'm going for Windows 7 64 bit.

About how much did it cost?

I don't feel financially risky yet.

Are you happy with the end result?

I hope so.
[Insert witty afterthought here]
starwarsman
Noob
Noob
I have built a computer with my cousin but it was his and all i did was help put it together although i think he got his parts from the computer store near his house
It was cooled by an fan
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I love doctor who and Starwars!!!!!!!!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Fan cooling is usually fine, along with a cpu heatsink (important you get a good airflow for the case fans, though). Probably don't need water cooling unless you OC; from what I heard, it's really quite an annoyance to maintain.

Unless you're talking about one regular fan pointing at a cpu box. To that, I say: ghettolicious.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Building my first PC today. I fell asleep and didn't hear the UPS guy knocking and now I have to wait until 6pm to get all the parts. ._."

Been spending many hours in the past month learning how to build, and it honestly looks much more simple than I thought it would be. I think I'm ready. :think:

Anyone have any tips for a newbie?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Ground yourself. While I never had an issue where I shorted a card, I keep obsessively touching the case.

Make sure you get the cpu cooling set up right. I don't know how many times I put in and took out the mobo because I didn't have it right.

Like I said before, pay careful attention to the airflow. You probably read about it already, but just stressing the point.

And finally, just take it slowly and have fun.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
read the instructions :)
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thanks guys. I spent a lot of time reading the instructions while I was building, and I already knew about grounding myself so I bought a wrist strap. However, I was still a bit paranoid and was touching the back of the case every time I was about to touch anything. XD

After a few headaches and lots of patience, I have finally set it up. I'm on it right now. Everything is running very smoothly! Checking the temps on like 3 different applications to make sure everything is okay. So far so good!

It feels like I'm running a powerhouse PC compared to my last prebuilt computer, even though my PC is probably average at best. :lol:
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
awesome! Glad it's working well for you. Now to benchmark it :D
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Krytae wrote:Thanks guys. I spent a lot of time reading the instructions while I was building, and I already knew about grounding myself so I bought a wrist strap. However, I was still a bit paranoid and was touching the back of the case every time I was about to touch anything. XD
That's ma boy.

Glad you like your new computer. :) It's really quite rewarding.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Ok, so here's an update:
We're getting rid of CloudCare/bSecure. Done with it. Here's why:
  • CloudCare interfered with the connections to the router, such that it was impossible to access the internet for hours at a time, almost daily, but only for one or two computers at a time.
  • It also kept my computer from generating a network map, slowed down the computer, and in general made things difficult.
  • Finally, it's impossible to purchase CloudCare without purchasing security software with it.
Evidently, bSecure was bought by AVG and they're in the midst of a transition, we need help, and tech support is nonexistent.

We're switching to Net Nanny. There's no security with it, which is a good thing, I think.

At the moment, I'm just looking for security software at a reasonable price. I want something really good. The rest of my family just wants something that does it's job with as little maintenance as possible. So, here's my thoughts:
Get Windows Security Essentials and Ad-Aware for all the computers. I'll do a scan with Malwarebytes on the other three before I install the other two, and then I'll uninstall it, before installing WSE and AA. I'll keep Malwarebytes on my computer, and try to use it often. :)
First, does it make sense to do it that way? Should I put all three programs on all of the computers instead? Should I use other programs instead/with those?
What are the best settings for a well-protected, low-maintenance computer with those programs?

Thanks!

Note to those who are wondering if I'm ever going to get my new computer: I'm hoping to select a less-than-$350 barebones kit over the winter and try to purchase it next spring. We'll see if I go through with it. :)
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

"Well then, carry on chaps."
-Deepfreeze32

"it's not malware guys it's linux ;)"
-ccgr

"Go play outside. That's what I'm going to do now."
-ccgr
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I haven't used ad aware in years. I find that security essentials with malware bytes works really well
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Ok, thanks! What do you think about ContentCleanup, by the company that makes NetNanny? Would it be helpful? https://www.netnanny.com/products/contentcleanup
@Cheryl: Thanks for a wonderful community. It is a pleasure and honor to be a part of it.

-Deepfreeze32

-ccgr

-ccgr
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
never used either product. We use opendns to block the obvious, haven't invested in software yet.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I find that the combination of OpenDNS with K9 installed on each computer is an excellent way to block unwanted websites. K9 has a pretty awesome community and do an excellent job of blocking even the newest websites/ads.

The best thing? both are free.

Anyways, I'm also looking for a new budget video card that can outperform my 5770 HD. Anyone know any good ones? or should I stick with my 5770 for now? I can run most games on the highest setting at 60+ fps, but it does bug me a little that I can't run GW2 steadily at 60 fps. Good chance that isn't my fault, though, as people with a better rig than mine are having a few issues as well.
LegoFan560
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Thanks, guys!

-Deepfreeze32

-ccgr

-ccgr