Being Gay in Video Games

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Controversy, FTW!

*** Mass Effect 3 Spoilers ***

I was playing Mass Effect 3 on my 360 the other day, and it became evident that one of the ship's crewmembers is gay. (By evident I mean that in dialogue with this character, he refers to his "husband.") Later, it becomes possible to engage in a homosexual relationship with that character if you play Shepard as a male.

It's hard to know just how to feel about that sort of thing, as it's becoming more and more common in games. I believe homosexual behavior to be sinful, and I oppose gay marriage, so does that mean I should boycott games that include these kinds of elements and options?

My take on it is this: I welcome it. Not because I'm socially "progressive" or because I want to explore a secret gay side in my gaming. I welcome it because I can still choose to be who I am in game, and behave in a manner consistent with my beliefs on morality. My Shepard character behaves no differently toward this crewmember than he does to any other (Well, except Liara, who I chose to be my character's love interest ;)) and in doing so I exercise my ability to choose good over sin.

Think about it this way... Our entire purpose for living on this world is to learn the Gospel and to choose salvation with Jesus Christ by our own free will. Why should it be any different in game? If you play a computer game that's on rails, and offers no such choices, you're not really expressing your beliefs as a Christian. All you're doing is following the rails. On the other hand, if you're playing a game where you CAN engage in sinful behavior, but don't, you can choose to take the high road and make a choice that actually means something.

I'm curious to know if any data collection goes on that reports back to the game makers on how many people are choosing what options. I suspect that they do, and I suspect that fewer people are going to go the "progressive" route than they might think.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
I don't approve of homosexuality in videogames, but I tend not to say anything unless it's forced on me.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
honestly? I tend to stay away from games that push the envelope. I haven't played the GTA or Mass Effect series because of what they knowingly put into the games. I have other, and cleaner games I'd rather play instead.
Blue
VIP Member
VIP Member
I don't view homosexuality as any different from any other sexual sin. As long as the game isn't forcing it on me, I'm okay with it. Otherwise, I try to avoid those type of games or find a way to skip the cut-scene or whatever.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
ArcticFox wrote:It's hard to know just how to feel about that sort of thing, as it's becoming more and more common in games. I believe homosexual behavior to be sinful, and I oppose gay marriage, so does that mean I should boycott games that include these kinds of elements and options?
This is just how I see it,
but if people in the game don't have a negative reaction to the gay person,
then the game is basically saying it's ok.

Sure, if a Christian plays the game he will look down on it,
but I don't know what a non-christian would think about it, and how it might slowly effect him.
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
JOJ650s wrote: This is just how I see it,
but if people in the game don't have a negative reaction to the gay person,
then the game is basically saying it's ok.
What sort of negative reaction do you mean?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Pretty sure he means 'they see it as OK, as nothing bad, just a normal sexual preference' rather than seeing it as a sin.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
That works to,
but I also meant something else as well.

I meant negative reaction as in,
people find that person weird, disturbing, or they are just plain disgusted when seeing him.
That I can't really see that to be promoting, (Though I rather not have a character gay in the first place.)
but if he is treated like normal, then it's like saying it's ok to be gay.

Ummm... Did that make since this time?

epsons
VIP Member
VIP Member
So all gay characters should be ostracized, and other characters should recoil in horror upon... just being aware of their presence? Interacting with them without showing open disgust for them is the same as advocating their sexuality?
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I'm with epsons.

I can see the argument saying that putting a gay character into a game is promoting it just by his/her presence, but at the same time if the game is trying to be a reflection of reality (albeit in a fictionalized setting) then it seems like that will come up sooner or later. Frankly, I'd rather have it played realistically.

For example, in Mass Effect 3, the gay crewman's sexuality doesn't make any difference in the normal course of the story. It doesn't come up when he's piloting the shuttle and other characters don't make a point of talking about it one way or the other. If that's as far as it went, then I'd probably see it as curious that they'd bother bringing his sexuality up in the first place, but I'd shrug my shoulders and move on. I don't see that as promoting homosexuality.

Also in Mass Effect 3 though, his sexuality CAN come into play in terms of whether you choose to have your character engage in a romance with him. Again, I find some value in having an opportunity to choose right over wrong so that doesn't bother me.

What I would find deeply troubling would be if somehow the game developers tried to steer you toward such a relationship, either by forcing the issue or by providing some kind of in-game incentive. That would certainly be an example of promoting homosexuality and I wouldn't want to play.

I don't think I'd want to have it where other characters went out of their way to demean or be nasty to the gay character. That isn't Christian either.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Sigh, I guess I have talked without thinking things through.
Sorry, there's just something else on my mind.

And I was pretty annoyed about gay people in games before I posted.
So, I guess I just over did it.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
So it's bad enough that you can pursue a relationship with a gay man, but a married gay man? Sex outside of marriage is sin any way you slice it but compound that with taking another man's (literally!) possession and you're breaking two commandments at once!
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Except...widower. His husband died during the events of Mass Effect 2 (Before Shepard had ever met him)
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
oh well...that makes it all okay then. j/k Sorry haven't played the games... :\
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:Except...widower. His husband died during the events of Mass Effect 2 (Before Shepard had ever met him)
Uh, yeah I guess I should have mentioned that... My bad.

But that does bring up a minor philosophical question... if gay marriage isn't valid in God's eyes to begin with, would it still be adultery in that context?

I wonder what the Philosiraptor would say...

JOJ650s wrote:Sigh, I guess I have talked without thinking things through.
Sorry, there's just something else on my mind.

And I was pretty annoyed about gay people in games before I posted.
So, I guess I just over did it.
No worries. I get annoyed by that stuff a lot too.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens