Favorite Game Classics?

Great for talking hardware, hype, and games outside traditional genres.
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
skybird
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
Hey! I'm new here and just wondering what some of everyones favorite classics are?
Nate DaZombie
VIP Member
VIP Member
Well, I'm not sure if it's old enough to be a classic, but I love Banjo-Kazooie.
colonelshaw
Noob
Noob
hey there friend glad to see your on!!!!
My name is Colonelshaw and I haven't used Redstone in 0 days.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Welcome! I have played most of the Dragon Warrior/Question games, I have yet to finish the 8th. I'm currently starting the Final Fantasy series and have beaten the first two so far.
Chozon1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: In the shadows. Waiting for an oppurtune moment to create a dramatic entrance.
Welcome to the site. ^_^

Classics own some of my favorite games ever...I generally love the SNES Megaman X games, as well as the ye olde Mario games and let us never forget Super Metroid.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Bible Adventures
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
FRRIIIIEEENNNNDDD

Anyway. Zelda games and 007: Goldeneye for the N64 come to mind
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
FamilyFriendlyGaming
Crystalis
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
skybird! I can't whitelist you on the server until you post 4 more times :P
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
All the 2D classic Zelda games are great,
as well some 3D games from the series like Ocarina of time, and diffidently Wind Walker. (If Wind Walker counts as a classic that is.)

All the old Mario games are great too,
I also liked the NES/and Gameboy Megaman games.
(I have yet to play any Megaman X games other then the first one though.)

Pokemon Gold is also a good one,
and I am going to stop right there for now since the list will go on. :|
and if GBA games count as classics too, the the list would be even longer. :shock:
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
jester747
Forum Moderator
ROKC PAPAR SKISSORZ
"Hadouken"
-Ryu from Street Fighter

Voted favourite N00B of 2008.
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
jester747 wrote:ROKC PAPAR SKISSORZ
don't forget,
Seek and hide! :)
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
FamilyFriendlyGaming
if you liked the older Zeldas then you will most likely enjoy Spiritual Warfare.
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
My definition of classic is 16 bit or earlier. That's entirely subjective and I only draw that line because I grew up playing Sega Genesis. Also, the switch from 2d to 3d seems like a break from classic to modern for some reason. But I can see why someone younger than me would include the PS1/N64/Saturn generation as classic if that's what they were playing as a younger kid. Some people who are older than me see "classic gaming" as Pac Man and Tetris.
JOJ650s wrote:All the 2D classic Zelda games are great,
as well some 3D games from the series like Ocarina of time, and diffidently Wind Walker. (If Wind Walker counts as a classic that is.)

. . .

if GBA games count as classics too, the the list would be even longer.
Maybe classifying Wind Waker, a Game Cube game with cel shaded graphics, as "classic" is a stretch. Like I said, though, it's pretty subjective. Like, I just looked it up and Wind Waker is almost 10 years old now. That's SHOCKING to me. I feel old and I'm only 24.

Same with Game Boy Advance. I don't consider that classic personally but, wow, I looked it up and it came out in 2001, over ten years ago. If you want to call that classic I guess I can't really dispute it.

Anyway, my favorite games from MY classic era (Genesis and SNES) are the Sonic and Mario Games, Ecco the Dolphin (my favorite game of that generation), Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Metroid.
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.
Drewsov
CCGR addict
Truthseeker wrote:My definition of classic is 16 bit or earlier. That's entirely subjective and I only draw that line because I grew up playing Sega Genesis. Also, the switch from 2d to 3d seems like a break from classic to modern for some reason. But I can see why someone younger than me would include the PS1/N64/Saturn generation as classic if that's what they were playing as a younger kid. Some people who are older than me see "classic gaming" as Pac Man and Tetris.
JOJ650s wrote:All the 2D classic Zelda games are great,

. . .

if GBA games count as classics too, the the list would be even longer.
Maybe classifying Wind Waker, a Game Cube game with cel shaded graphics, as "classic" is a stretch. Like I said, though, it's pretty subjective. Like, I just looked it up and Wind Waker is almost 10 years old now. That's SHOCKING to me. I feel old and I'm only 24.

Same with Game Boy Advance. I don't consider that classic personally but, wow, I looked it up and it came out in 2001, over ten years ago. If you want to call that classic I guess I can't really dispute it.

Anyway, my favorite games from MY classic era (Genesis and SNES) are the Sonic and Mario Games, Ecco the Dolphin (my favorite game of that generation), Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Metroid.
I don't know, man... I'm 24. I grew up with the SNES, the Genesis (I actually remember playing Ecco the Dolphin right after it came out, as well as the Indiana Jones game for the system... I was probably five) and the Game Boy (and let us never mention the Sega Nomad). But then again, I also had a ton of fun with the PS1, N64 and Dreamcast. I remember the PS2 dropping (huge deal), and the dual punch of the Xbox and Gamecube hitting a year later. And I worked a game store alone for the PS3 launch, and bought a 360 a scant six months after the system released.

Except maybe for this era - which has not yet passed - there's not much reason for anything that was amazing in the past to not be considered classic. I mean, this console generation is seven years old. Previous console generations were in five year cycles. That should tell us something.

In my opinion, we'd be remiss to not even consider something like Metal Gear Solid 2 or The Wind Waker a "classic." These were amazing games, amazing for their times and amazing for now. Isn't that what Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are? Don't they too present games that - while having aged - are still relevant, still amazing, still experiences to play through and marvel at?

I can't really say that there are games that I wouldn't call classic in the last generation of consoles. There was some amazing work done, and I played games that I'll never forget. Simply moving into 3D - to me - isn't enough for a game to not be considered "classic." I'd actually consider it close to a sin to not have Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, GoldenEye 007 or Perfect Dark, on a classics list. That's simply because those games hold something special for me. I was 13 when Perfect Dark came out. It was one of the first M-rated games I ever played. I remember playing Majora's Mask with a friend of mine during a snow day, racing between save points because of power outages. These games are classics to me because of that, but also because of the impact that they had on the industry as a whole.

As such, my list - if I were to make one - would be predictable and slightly skewed. And I'm okay with that.
http://exculpate.wordpress.com - Updated 2.10.12

You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed in the same breath. You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal’s death...