So we've been talking...

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
...and hopefully all is well with Fathom and we'll see him again soon. In the meantime, Truthseeker, ArchAngel and I have spoken a little bit about staring a new campaign on here, and I guess I'll DM... but I'd have to do it in 2nd Edition. (Easier to learn than 3rd Edition.) My campaign world is well defined, and has been around since 2000 when I started penning notes and maps during a programming class...

From the Tome of Time, Sorcerer's Tower, Baron's Rock

When time was young and the sky burned dark,
The Creator of All Things birthed the lights in the heavens,
the wind on the plain and the water in the seas.
He also created His children, to bring Him joy and company.

To them He gave the names Solus, Pelor and Canopis.
Pelor was the only daughter, and was beautiful but vain.
She took for her own much of the inheritance from her brothers.
The three went out to birth their own children

Solus had much love, and had eight children; four sons, four daughters.
He placed a silver crown on the head of each of the sons.
His daughters he kept close, and set his sons to guard them.
To the third, his most favored, he gave a bright pearl, and watched over her.
To her, he gave the name Terra. He could give little magic, for the inheritance was taken

but he gave her a little, and she bore children of her own.
Pelor bore six children, and let them play around her. Her two favored she kept close,
Kord and Leara. The two sisters danced around their mother, Pelor
and for a time she was pleased with them.

But the children of Leara were rebellious and proud. They warred with one another.
They took the magic of Pelor's inheritance and squandered it, using it to cause harm.
So Pelor, in her rage, flung Leara from her, and gave her love instead to Kord alone.
Leara, Ice Maiden, spurned child, alone in the dark. Alone in the cold.

(The remainder of the account is lost, the pages too badly damaged to be legible.)

Over the millenia, as Leara cooled and those who lived upon her surface learned to live in the ice and snow, and they began to call their home Itanthalsala Mejekereuneye, "The Arms of the Dragon," in the ancient tongue of the druids, for it was the magic of the dragons that helped them to survive, and learn a new way of life. A thousand years passed, and the people have forgotten the old ways, and the old names, and the old tongues. Their world is Ith'Meireun, and she cries out for heroes to deliver her from her icy slumber, and to earn the forgiveness of Pelor.

(Edit: I probably should not have put this in the RoA subforum... If an Admin or Mod sees this, could you move it out to the Table Top RPG Forum please? Thanks...)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
This should probably get it's own subforum.

What do you want to call the campaign?

Around how many people are you looking for the party?

Are there any materials we need to pick up?
Any good online handbooks? (like the d20srd)
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
Orodrist
CCGR addict
Location: Surrounded by blood and bathed in fire on a frozen lake
If I could get the rulebook in some public format (if I had a credit card I'd just order a copy, but I don't, and I ain't driving 100miles to a bookstore that might have a copy), and if you wanted someone to play a heel-type character I'd be in.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do - Robert A Heinlein

Courage ~ Discipline ~ Fidelity ~ Honor ~ Hospitality ~ Industriousness ~ Perseverance ~ Self Reliance ~
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ArchAngel wrote:This should probably get it's own subforum.
If it takes off, I'll make the request.
ArchAngel wrote: What do you want to call the campaign?
TBD if this things gains momentum.
ArchAngel wrote: Around how many people are you looking for the party?
4 - 6
ArchAngel wrote: Are there any materials we need to pick up?
All you really need is a Player's Handbook (2nd Edition) which are stupidly cheap on eBay. I even have a couple of spares I acquired from various lots.
ArchAngel wrote: Any good online handbooks? (like the d20srd)
I don't know if there are any online, although I suspect there probably are.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
That's the re-worked edition. I hate that one but the rules are 98% the same, so it will do in a pinch. My recommendation is this one:

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ1187404
(Not sure why it says paperback... 'cause it ain't.)

There's no pic on that listing, but here's what it looks like:

Last edited by ArcticFox on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
What do you hate about the re-worked one?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Honestly, it's the format and artwork. TSR product quality took a nose dive in the '90s which is one of the reasons the company only survived by being bought out by WoTC. I have a few of those source books in my collection and they're universally falling apart and poor quality.

I don't have any examples off the top of my head of differences in the rules, but my understanding is they're so minor that if you have this version of the book, you'd be fine.

...if you can keep it in one piece...
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Alright, I put in an order for the non-revised version in good faith that his campaign will be happening.

Ever since we started the KoA campaign, my D&D itch has never subsided.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
I'd be interested in playing. I would really like to be a class that does not require learning intricate rules, like a fighter.
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Actually, none of the 2nd Edition rules are all that intricate compared with 3rd. 3rd Edition is a combat game with roleplaying. 2nd Edition is a roleplaying game with some combat in it. The 2nd Edition rules are very minimal, to encourage creative roleplay and flexibility.

I'll post a summary of character creation rules. For now, here's a link to a site with lots of resources, including a variety of 2nd Edition character sheets. Pick whichever one you like. Almost all of them are more detailed than what we'll need, so just choose what works for you.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/se/

Noteworthy differences between 2nd and 3rd Edition:

In 2nd Edition, Armor Class goes DOWN, not up. So an AC of 5 is superior to an AC of 10.
THAC0 is an acronym for "To Hit Armor Class 0" and refers to the unmodified die roll you need on a D20 to hit your target.
When rolling to hit, add the target's AC and all bonuses to the die roll.

Example:
Guy deLyonesse is a level 5 Paladin with a THAC0 of 16. He has a +2 Str bonus and is using a +1 Longsword. He's attacking an orc with an AC of 5. He rolls a 12. 12 (roll) + 5 (Target AC) + 1 (sword) + 2 (Str) = 20. 20 > 16 so it's a hit.

A natural 20 is the only critical hit. Ever.

There are no feats.

There are no Prestige Classes.

There are no Sorcerers, Barbarians or Monks.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
I would love to see how the older systems worked. Though finding a players guide will be a bit of a pain...
ArcticFox wrote: THAC0 is an acronym for "To Hit Armor Class 0" and refers to the unmodified die roll you need on a D20 to hit your target.
So I'm a bit confused here. If THAC0 refers to the unmodified die roll, why are you comparing the modified result to this?
A natural 20 is the only critical hit. Ever.
So how does AD&D 2E handle critical hits? What benefit do they provide?
There are no Prestige Classes.
Good. I never liked the concept.
There are no Sorcerers, Barbarians or Monks.
So...what are the classes?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I believe these are the classes.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Deepfreeze32 wrote:I would love to see how the older systems worked. Though finding a players guide will be a bit of a pain...
My plan is to run it in such a way that you can get rolling without needing one. The rules are so simple you can pick it up as you go.
Deepfreeze32 wrote: So I'm a bit confused here. If THAC0 refers to the unmodified die roll, why are you comparing the modified result to this?
In 1st Edition there was actually a full-blown table with all the different rolls you'd need to hit a target for each Armor Class. At some point along the way, someone realized that all you really needed to know was some base number to hit a certain AC, and you could calculate easily from there. AC0 was chosen, and THAC0 was born. Think of it as a "base" to hit number against the standard AC of 0. Weapon bonuses, armor type and Strength bonuses then modify the roll.
Deepfreeze32 wrote: So how does AD&D 2E handle critical hits? What benefit do they provide?
There are none. We have a house rule where a Natural 20 inflicts double damage.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Truthseeker
Gamer
Gamer
Deepfreeze32 wrote:So I'm a bit confused here. If THAC0 refers to the unmodified die roll, why are you comparing the modified result to this?
I remember the THAC0 system from when I played this version 12 years ago. THAC0 is a stat your character has. The gist is that your roll on a d20 + the target's armor class needs to be higher than your character's THAC0. Keep in mind that this means a lower armor class is better for the target and worse for the person trying to hit the target.

For example, say your character has a THAC0 of 15. That means to hit a character with an armor class of 0, you'd need to roll a 15 or higher because 15 + 0 = 15. To hit a character with an armor class of -2, you need to roll at least a 17 because 17 + (-2) = 15. To hit a character with an armor class of 5, you'd need to roll a 10.

A lower THAC0 is better to have. If your THAC0 is 10, then you'd only need to roll a 10 to hit armor class 0, or a 5 to hit armor class 10, or a 12 to hit armor class -2.

Am I getting this right, AF? It's been 12 years.

I think the simpler system will be better for playing on the board. 3rd Edition really needs to be played live with physical pieces on a grid where everyone can see them.
Brokan Mok

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek . . . to be understood, as to understand.