Tales Around The Hearth

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
I don't think you'd allow those sort of pics here.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

RoA: Kratimos/Lycan
UnHuman: Tim
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Are you human?: Yes!
Here's the link to the other play by post.

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/for ... lds-beyond

Also, I'm working on the cosmology.

For my world, as soon as I nail it all down, there are no "gods" there are stewards who are responsible for certain portions of reality. There is only one true God and he appointed these powerful beings to work as caretakers. The people of the realms have forgotten about the old religion and the Lord along with it ((Remnicent of the Old Testament in the book of Kings chapter 22, where the people forgot about God because their king worshiped idols and one king (Josiah) restored the book of the law to the people after finding it in the temple)), and regard these stewards as their gods though the True One works on their behalf, commanding the stewards behind the scenes working on behalf of those who occupy the realms.

Magic does not exist as you would think it does. Magic is really authority passed form God to the stewards, and from the stewards to the people who occupy the lands. Initially, Mage/wizard type of magic didn't exist. Only priestly magic existed because, in order to use magic (authority over the elements/reality), the people had to receive it from a steward who taught them how to wield the authority. This was when the old religion abounded and the One True God occupied his throne and all was in order. Then, an evil Arch Steward rose up against God and one steward threw himself between this evil steward and God in order to save him from the betrayal. The steward was utterly destroyed by doing this, his very being scattered over all creation but in doing so, his authority also scattered. That authority that came from this Arch Steward, was so powerful that, with the right training, the people can learn to tap into it and wield it without being granted it by the steward since he was obliterated. This is the basis for wizardly/mage/sorcerer magics. People who, apart from a steward, can use the authority of a steward.

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated and your opinions are always welcome!

My biggest fear as a creative person is that my ideas will be stolen and used by others for their own gains. I would really love to become an author one day with these concepts, and perhaps the characters form this PBP, would be the basis of a novel series. I'm being transparent with you guys, I trust you.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
There is the risk of people running away with your ideas, since they are posted publicly on the Internet. However, you could always do the "poor man's copyright."

1) Write down your ideas / cosmology before posting or publishing it anywhere.

2) Print it out and put it in a big envelope.

3) Take it to the post office and mail it to yourself.

4) When you receive it DO NOT OPEN IT. Put the sealed envelope into a safe or other secure location.

If someone does try to claim your idea as theirs, that's when you can produce the sealed envelope that you've kept securely all these years. Point it out to the judge hearing the copyright infringement case and point out the postmark on the envelope. Have the judge open the envelope and decide from that point whether or not it will be sufficient evidence to prove that you are the one to originate the idea.

Although I haven't heard of anyone yet using this technique to prove that they were the originator of the idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work as strong evidence to support your claim.
---

The question I have about your cosmology is that, if the One True God was powerful enough, what would prevent him from merely coalescing the power of the steward that sacrificed himself and "resurrecting" that steward, in a sense? I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere (and perhaps it's a secret to everybody but the One True God) but could merit some fleshing out. Other than that, it sounds quite interesting!
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
That's pretty cool! I'm liking the judeo-christian inspirations to the mythology. Even a bit Tolkienesque at places. Are there any other favorite mythologies you like to draw from?

I'm not trying to discredit what Sstavix pointed out, but I don't know if you'd have to worry about copy infringement. Us in the game development industry, and I use the term very loosely since I'm not in the game development industry, have an understanding that ideas are a dime a dozen. People want to be "idea guys" for games, or are worried that someone might take their idea and use it for a game. But nobody cares. Every person who'd want to pursue a creative venture usually has 4-5 of their own in their head.

Now, there's a good chance someone might take inspiration from your ideas, and that's usually not so terrible. Your idea took inspiration from others before you, and those did the same.

Do take what I say with a grain of salt, I gues. Sstavix's method of covering your back is easy and cheap, so it really doesn't hurt you to take it safe.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

Sstavix
CCGR addict
Gain a level as a role-playing reward? I like this idea. :)

I'm wondering, since we've got a full cleric in the party now, if I should take another level in bard, rather than continue down the cleric path (more skill points that way, too). What do the rest of you think?
fathom123
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
The cleric of St Cuthbert and Rhell aren't exactly in the party (just a heads up). They are NPCs at the moment. There may be times, in the future, where they work along side the party, but they are not permanent party members.
Jeremiah 20:9-But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
Sstavix
CCGR addict
We do have Livia, though. :wink:
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Since I am level 6 what should my health be now?
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
You do add a 1d6+CON roll to your hitpoints.

My roll:
[dice]0[/dice]

EDIT:
I'm having the darnedest time trying to decided for my feets.
I took my fighter bonus feat in Weapon Specialization for the Longsword, but the next one, I'm caught between:

Power Attack (opening up Cleave), Improved Unarmed Strike (opening up deflect arrows, and also for those pesky times I have no sword), Combat Expertise (opening up whirlwind and improved disarm, too), Weapon Focus for short swords (when I move back to two weapon fighting) and dodge (opening up mobility).

Any advice on what's good for a fighter to take? Any of these ruled out by our present location and situation? I heard some DM's do that for feats and skills, like, you can't learn to swim in a desert. Like, I totally get that I can't get weapon focus with a short sword if I don't have one to practice with.

I upped my skills on Spot and Control Shape, if that's cool.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
should I have been doing that for all my levels??? I only have 18 hit points
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Yup! The first one you get full points, so just 6+CON(1). Ever subsequent level you get 1d6+1.
So, it seems like you got 11 hitpoints more than your first level, so I'm not sure if you just bad rolls.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
[dice]0[/dice]

24 hit points now
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I think I'll go for another level of bard to increase the variety of spells available to me.

Hit points....
[dice]0[/dice]
ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Decided to go with Power Attack. Some people on the interwebz seem to think that's important, and it sounds like it can be useful against some big'uns.

And what kind of Warrior would Kratimos be if we can't power attack?
Pew Pew Pew. Science.

ArchAngel
CCGR addict
Forgive the double post on this, but this is a separate thought from above so I passed up doing an edit.

I wanted to thank and commend Fathom for the campaign so far. It's been quite a ride and it's only looking better. It's hard enough for a DM to create one compelling storyline, but he got 5 different ones running simultaneously. I read through each of your stories in part 2 and, man, are they great or what? Each thread complements each other, referencing old story background and building up personal stories and the end campaign. I can't get enough, and I'm always looking forward to where the story and the characters are going to end up.
fathom123 wrote:My biggest fear as a creative person is that my ideas will be stolen and used by others for their own gains. I would really love to become an author one day with these concepts, and perhaps the characters form this PBP, would be the basis of a novel series. I'm being transparent with you guys, I trust you.
Man, that's awesome. I really hope you go through with this. Sign me up for the pre-pre-order. I hope you do and you have the story-teller gift. Nothing would be cooler than to see your novels next to Dragonlance on my local book sellers shelves. :)

Aw, man, Ima just gonna have to let my head aslpode for a lil bit.

My only request would be to change the name of my character and Thesia. I have some aspirations for my own story and would use them. That'd be it, though; it'd be a great honor.
Pew Pew Pew. Science.