"If it were that important, Jesus would have mentioned it..."

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
A couple weeks ago a friend of mine and I were just hanging out, chatting about stuff, and at one point the subject of homosexuality came up. I expressed my annoyance at how schools and even children's programming now (I'm looking at you, Disney) are normalizing sinful behaviors.

He said that he got where I was coming from, but that from his point of view, it's not such a big deal. After all, in the Bible, Jesus never mentions it directly, so it must not be such a big deal, right?

I let that comment go, because it was all p art of a larger discussion I was eager to get back to, but I think back on it and I wish I'd challenged that assertion then and there. Why? Because it's an absurd bit of sophistry.

If anybody tells you that homosexuality can't be that big a deal because the Scriptures don't record Jesus actually, specifically saying it's a sin, they're being foolish and heretical. It frankly blows my mind that anybody says something like that with a straight face.

It's true that none of the 4 Gospels or the book of Acts mention Jesus specifically condemning the practice. But what about in Leviticus 18:22?

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

Who is the speaker there? Oh, wait. That would be the Lord. He said it there. Is there some reason it needed repeating? Besides, it's not like the Gospels are a complete and exhaustive chronicle of everything Jesus said and did. It says so right in St. John 21:25:

"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

My take on it is that whoever was putting together the 4 Gospels probably didn't feel the need to repeat things that were already in older works, and tended to focus on the new doctrines presented by the Savior. After all, this is the classical period. Paper and ink weren't exactly cheap.

Now, my friend did acknowledge that Paul did address the matter in his letters, but apparently that wasn't enough. Why? Paul was an authority on doctrine. He was an Apostle. He directly mentioned it several times. Is that not enough? Are we saying that Paul presented false teachings? Would Jesus have had to repeat absolutely every single thing Paul said in order for us to take him at his word?

That would kinda blow away the need for Paul's letters, doesn't it?

No, it's a weak argument but sadly I've heard it several times over the years from several people. Don't be mislead by it. Use your critical thinking.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Beastbot
Gamer
Gamer
Yeah, I never got that either. Not to mention whenever homosexuality is mentioned in the OT, it is condemned in the strongest possible terms (I believe the word used against it is akin to "abomination"). And Jesus did not come to repeal the law but to fulfill it.

Also, Romans 1: 18-32.
Last updated March 13th
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
People will come up with any excuse to support sin. Even followers of Christ do it. So that's kind of a normal thing in the U.S.

To me, the question is always this; who taught Paul? It's my understanding that in Galatians 1:11&12 Paul is saying that he was taught by Jesus Christ by revelation.

Galatians 1:11-12
11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin.
12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.[
/quote]

If my math teacher teaches me 2+2=4 and I profess that, it doesn't mean my math teacher didn't believe the same thing because you have no record of it.

My point, Paul taught what was taught to him by Jesus.

But I could be wrong. But if I am, I open to correction by sound doctrine from the bible.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
The Bible is very clear on it. But people treat it like a buffet these days, take what they want leave the rest.
BryanOnAPC
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:04 pm The Bible is very clear on it. But people treat it like a buffet these days, take what they want leave the rest.

Exactly. It's like selective biblical doctrine. Like "I'll just take the part of the bible that fits my lifestyle and leave the rest out of my way of life."

I think that's why so many people wont go to church or read and study the bible. They don't want to find out that something in their lifestyles totally goes against the Word of God.