Humans -vs- Homo Sapiens

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
BlockHeadLewie
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Whould it be safe to say we all start off as homo sapiens and when we become "the new creature" spoken about we become human?
This comes from the thought of homo sapiens are just "wild" people and Christ Followers are human people. (From under the law into Grace.)
Your thoughts?
If God is my Pilot and fully in control of the flight, I guess that makes me a Steward on the plane. How may I serve you?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
We become forgiven and a new spiritual creation, still plenty human and prone to sin. Just hoping to do less of it
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
It's a matter of our higher, more spiritual selves gaining mastery over the primal, instinctive self. Our instincts drive us to selfish, immoral, animal behavior. Our enlightened spirits know better.

To be a Christian is to engage in the struggle for spiritual mastery over animal urges. We can't be perfect, but we can always strive to improve. What Jesus did on the cross is the ultimate act of spirituality over instinct, and by choosing to follow Him and become like Him is to follow a path that leads us to that mastery over ourselves.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
BlockHeadLewie
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Seems like I picked a heafty topic upon my return!
Sweet!
So in essence, if one did understand the scriptures fully, it could be said one transforms from being wild to being tamed?
Is exactly how some question Salvation...
Hence the topic Human vs Homo Sapiens
If God is my Pilot and fully in control of the flight, I guess that makes me a Steward on the plane. How may I serve you?
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
BlockHeadLewie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:14 pm So in essence, if one did understand the scriptures fully, it could be said one transforms from being wild to being tamed?
I think that's a fair way to put it. Our natural inclination is to selfishness and sin. Left to our own devices we aren't necessarily malevolent creatures, but we are selfish.

I think that's really what Christianity - in all its forms and denominations - is really about... it's right there in Jesus' new Commandment, to love others as we love ourselves. To take care of ourselves, yes... but to also take care of others with the same energy. One that is understood, everything else just falls right into place.

It's why we are to give, not for reward.
It's why we are to give privately, and not glorify ourselves.
It's why we are to pray privately, so as not to glorify ourselves.
It's why we are to follow Jesus, meaning to put aside those things we worshipped before.
It's why Jesus praised the act of a person sacrificing their life for another as being the greatest love of all... because what more can we lose in this world than life itself?

It's why Jesus set the ultimate example, and sacrificed Himself for us all.

When Jesus says it is harder for a rich man to enter Heaven than for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle, it's precisely because selfishness is the core of what we're here to overcome. That's really the final exam, isn't it? What makes us break Commandments? Ultimately it's selfish desire. That's why when Jesus gave us the new law to love God with all our heart, strength, soul and mind, and to love our neighbor as ourselves, it's precisely because the only thing stopping us from doing that is loving ourselves more.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens