Buddhism vs Christianity

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Grandewhopper
Noob
Noob
Here's a fundamental difference between Buddhism and Christianity.

1) Nirvana through non-clinging vs Getting to know Jesus
Buddha taught to not attach to anything for attachment leads to suffering. Jesus on the other hand taught to connect and to attach, he took on the sin of us all and wants us to connect in healthy ways with each other!

What do you think?
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
There was another interesting comparison that I had was when you consider the Buddhist concept of afterlife. The ultimate "goal" or "reward" is to become one with the universe, to lose all sense of self-identity and, in a sense no longer exist. On the contrary, some Christian denominations believe that the ultimate punishment is to be cast into the "outer darkness" and be ultimately destroyed.

So the Buddhist idea of "heaven" is, oddly enough, the same idea of some Christian denominations of hell.

Now oddly enough, I do have a healthy respect for the Buddhist faith. I consider the Dalai Lama to be a rather wise man with a lot of sound advice for living. I think that China should face stiff penalties for their occupation of Tibet, and that Tibet should be allowed to be its own autonomous nation. So while I don't believe it is the true faith, I think that the world is a better place by having Buddhism as an option in terms of religious faiths.
RemnantRD
Noob
Noob
As someone whose previous life culture (before being born again) was heavily steeped in Buddhism as well as a myriad of other pagan systems, I can say that buddhism is very nice on the surface.

For a Christians, Buddhism can look nice on the outside, but we do have to look deeper and see the spiritual implications. There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is death right? Buddhism exemplifies this exact issue. This isn't a matter of not throwing the baby out with the bath water. The central core tenants of Buddhism are incompatible with Christianity. For that matter, any belief system that contradicts any part of God's absolute truth found in the bible is incompatible.

That being said, is Buddhism valid for the world? Sure. However, the world is in darkness and lost, so what's right for the world will eventually lead to the 2nd death.