Thomas S.Monson, 16th President of the LDS Church, has died

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
I know there aren't a lot of LDS people on the forums, but if you would like to know more, just look at the leadership. President Thomas S. Monson passed away yesterday, January 2, 2018. The Deseret News has an article which sums up his life quite well, but there's always more to tell.

One of the things that really has stood out to me has been Monson's focus on the individual. Even though many changes and events in the church happened while he served as one of the Lord's Apostles, the most powerful - and memorable - stories tend to be about him interacting with other individual members of the church. To me, that also is one of the most powerful things about Christianity; a personal relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. God may lead us in different ways, and down different paths, and it may indeed be a different path than your friends or family will take. But if you proceed in faith, He won't steer you wrong. I think President Monson not only understood this concept as well, he tried to live it. Even if you aren't Mormon, you can learn something from the Godly life he lived.

Rest in peace.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I guess we knew it would be soon when he wasn't able to attend General Conference this last time.

I'm happy for him. He's back with his wife now. :D
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Lots of growth under his leadership.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Found a negative spin on digg today - https://newrepublic.com/article/146589/ ... isis-faith
Sstavix
CCGR addict
So basically, the article claims that if the LDS church doesn't start "changing with the times" and become more secular, then it will get left behind?

I suppose that's possible. But really, just because something might be popular or trendy - or even legal - does not mean that it is morally correct. I don't give too much credit to the article.
Rachel1701
Noob
Noob
I'm not LDS, but I have some LDS friends who really looked up to President Monson as a spiritual leader. I respect him because he made my friends want to become better people and everything I've learned about him made it seem like he wanted to make the world a better place and teach people about Jesus.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Sstavix wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 am So basically, the article claims that if the LDS church doesn't start "changing with the times" and become more secular, then it will get left behind?

I suppose that's possible. But really, just because something might be popular or trendy - or even legal - does not mean that it is morally correct. I don't give too much credit to the article.
Nor do I. The author seems to have had the notion that growth in the size of the Church is somehow evidence of its truth, and that if it isn't forever expanding at an increasingly rapid pace, that's somehow evidence that it's not true.

What a bizarre notion. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world at the moment. By this guy's logic we should all convert to Islam. The growth of Christianity in general since the time of Christ isn't exactly a straight line, and may even have shrunk form time to time. None of that should cast doubts on the Gospel.

Frankly, I EXPECT Christianity in general, and the LDS Church as part of that, to shrink some over the next little while as more and more people are seduced by a popular culture that no longer values objective ideas of morality and has a message t hat's increasingly hostile to the wisdom of the Gospel. We Christians are at our best and most devout when we're in the minority. Look at the early Christians during the time of the Roman Empire when they were still persecuted. Could we, today, handle that the way they did?
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens