Game assets and "Laying up treasures in Heaven"

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Kasey_Dee
Noob
Noob
I am an indie game developer. I'm making a RPG game based in medieval times where the player is a slave whose brother was sold and s/he must go and find him.

I'm using Unity game engine and as an indie game developer, I purchase assets from the asset store as I can't make all these models myself. (I work full-time in an unrelated field and am the family income source.)

Often I feel guilty purchasing assets as the Bible states to "Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven". I do wish to live for eternity and not items on earth "where moth and thieves".

I want to use my game dev talents for the glory of God, but I don't want to use that to "justify" purchasing assets instead of giving it to missions (which I try to do, too) or an "excuse" to do game dev which I'm passionate about. Or should I "deny myself" and put my money into missions instead of game assets and tools. I love game development and that's where my "after work" time goes. But I feel guilty about it. Is this my "talent" given by God or ...?

Any thoughts?
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
You purchased assets intended to make the game development process easier right? I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't feel bad for not custom coding this site. ;) It's okay to use tools available to you. If you pirated them it would be a different story though. ;) Keep on honoring God with what you can do!
J.K. Riki
I don't think we'll be able to tell you if any specific thing is your talent given by God. That's between you and Him. And chances are pretty good that you have multiple gifts from Him, not just one. That said, I think it comes down to things like balance and intention a lot in life. If you feel God is calling you to give a certain portion of your resources to missions, you should do that to the best of your ability. But remember 2 Cor 9:7: "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." We have to be careful we're not giving out of guilt or doing so reluctantly. If that happens, our heart isn't in the right place.

Simultaneously I think the same thing can be semi-applied to your game development. If you're giving your time and energy to glorify God in terms of game production, that can be done cheerfully and with your heart as well. Finding a balance between paying for assets and doing hard work yourself is essential. Do what is yours to do, but be careful not to spend your time doing what isn't yours to do. If you have a skill for coding, code for the Glory of God. If you don't have a skill for art (and don't feel a calling to pursue such a thing) then support those who DO have that gift. Remember, they need to eat too! :)

Perhaps a lot of it comes down to discernment. Maybe you can seek out assets by people who you feel are doing good work vs. making a quick buck? Both sets of people exist, and supporting the former group is a wise thing, yeah? Sometimes you won't be able to tell, and that's when going to God in prayer can help. Ask Him to guide you, and see who he puts in front of you. Amazing things can happen when we put it all in His hands instead of our own.

In the end, remember He loves you no matter what, and trying your best for Him is sometimes more important than the outcome. After all, if God wanted a specific RPG done in an exact certain way, a word from His mouth could create it. He revels in the fact that YOU, his beloved, want to create like He does. He stands and watches with joy while you work on your creation. Don't fret, He loves you. Have peace and freedom in that and go and create with your whole heart, whether you responsibly buy assets or not. :)

Do you have a link to your dev blog or anything? As a fellow indie dev (on the art side here, actually!) I enjoy seeing what others are working on! Let me know!