5 Reasons not to observe Lent

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Comotto
Excuse me, but when did Fox News become a religious source? I think this is posted under the wrong topic. Not a Spiritual commentary more like 'Fake News'. :-)

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/cul ... -lent.html

CARZ
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
I thought the article was pretty good, it was discouraging people from celebrating Lent for selfish/dieting reasons
Comotto
Probably should have been under weight loss topic. Just giving you a hard time. :-)

CARZ
RemnantRD
Noob
Noob
For Christians, I believe the biggest reason not to observe "Lent" is that there is no direct request for God's people to observe "Lent." In fact, it's not even mentioned in the bible.
project312
Noob
Noob
King James Version
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

1 Timothy 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

1 Timothy 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
DandiestBerry68
Noob
Noob
I think any and all lent plans should be run by God and your confidants. These can be things to fall into, and it's important to remember cultivating our relationship with God is at the utmost of it all!
Comotto
He is risen! Blessed Holy Week to all!

CARZ
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
Good article.

What's being said of Lent in this article basically applies to any kind of fasting that a Christian may do. Whether it's Lent, Fast Sunday, personal fasting while seeking guidance with a decision... whatever it is, it should be done the right way and for the right reasons, and this article does a good job of addressing the common pitfalls.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens