A counter-movement to anti-Semitism?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
For those that don't know me, I tend to be pretty level headed. However, one thing that really sets off my berserk button is anti-Semitism. Anyone who says anything against Israel or the Jewish people is someone who can't be trusted, in my opinion. It's one of the main reason why I was so opposed to the Obama administration - even though Barack never actually came out and said "I hate Jewish people," his actions towards Bebe Netanyahu and Israel spoke volumes to me.

I know I've expressed my trepidations towards Trump as well, but at least he's never done anything against the Jewish people, from what I can tell. But an article that I read just a few minutes ago gave me much more hope for the country.

Apparently, a Jewish cemetery in Missouri was vandalized recently. (I hope they catch the 8@$+@^#$ and lock 'em up!) But a volunteer group worked on cleaning it up and repairing the damage this weekend. One of the people helping? Our own Vice President Mike Pence. And it looks like this wasn't just a photo op, either.

You can read more about it here, if you'd like. Frankly, I hope that this could be the beginning of a trend - more moral behavior in politicians. Or at least less anti-Semitism.
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I heard that American Muslims helped out too
Sstavix
CCGR addict
That's great to hear!

And that's what America should be about. We may have our different political or theological beliefs, but when something is blatantly wrong, we all pitch in to help right it. That's what being a good neighbor is all about. :)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I've never understood anti-semitism. People have tried to explain the historical rationale behind it but it always felt contrived to me. "The Jews killed Christ!"

Well... that's mindless. A handful of religious leaders applied pressure to a Roman governor to kill Jesus, and in so doing fulfilled the Plan of Salvation. So... what am I supposed to hate Jews for, exactly?

I agree that Obama's policies carried a strong taste of anti-semitism, and so far watching Trump undo the damage done to relations between the U.S. and Israel has been very encouraging. I especially liked the freeze of the $22M to Palestine (Hamas, for all intents and purposes) which probably saved a LOT of lives.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm I've never understood anti-semitism. People have tried to explain the historical rationale behind it but it always felt contrived to me. "The Jews killed Christ!"
Yeah, that argument has always fallen flat to me as well. Jesus was Jewish. So were his apostles. So... I'm supposed to hate Jesus and his apostles because they were Jewish, but love Him because He's my savior? That doesn't make any sense... so I reject the argument. ;)
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
What's weird is I keep hearing that anti-semitism is a trait of the American right wing, and often I hear of conservative politicians being compared to Hitler (the current favorite is Trump for that) but I've never seen it. Avery single anti-semitic person I've ever met has been on the political left. I'm not saying that anti-semitism is a trait of the Left per se, but so far my experience has been the opposite of what the media has been trying to feed me.

Yeah, I know. Big surprise.

But what amazes me is how blatant it is. When you have Democrat Presidents who often seem to take sides against Israel and Republican ones who are far more friendly to it... or the idea that a person can stand on the campus at a place like UC Berkley waving an Israeli flag and get cursed at, threatened and jeered, but when that same person in the same place waves an ISIS flag the reaction is much friendlier... It just boggles my mind.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
DandiestBerry68
Noob
Noob
Here's the thing, the cure to anti-semitism and almost every societal plague is great parenting. If we were able to give every child a good childhood - not a rich one with lots of material possessions, but one with loving parents - we could have a peaceful society in no time at all.