Are There Any Conservative Christians Our There?

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Incognitus
Noob
Noob
Are you human?: Yes!
I'm making this thread to look for people possibly of a like-faith, not to debate. I am a conservative Christian that opposes things like gay marriage, tattoos, vaccines and liberalism. If you're out there, please post here so we can fellowship together. :)
Kyuremu
Noob
Noob
Not looking to debate, but why are you against what others do with their lives? Shouldn't it only come down to how you live your life? You shouldn't be against the choices others make, rather you should be more embracing as a Christian.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Incognitus wrote:I'm making this thread to look for people possibly of a like-faith, not to debate. I am a conservative Christian that opposes things like gay marriage, tattoos, vaccines and liberalism. If you're out there, please post here so we can fellowship together. :)
Not sure you'll find much success with an excessively specific list of traits. Conservatives come in all different flavors. I consider myself intensely Conservative. I oppose liberalism, gay marriage and all this trans- nonsense. I vaccinate my kids but I support the right not to have to. I don't care about tattoos on people (and have a couple myself). I believe the Government has no business controlling any healthcare decision I make for myself or my children. I oppose abortion and I believe in securing the borders. I think it's stupid that alcohol is legal in the same land where marijuana isn't. They should either both be legal or both outlawed, though it's much easier to make a case for making alcohol illegal.

Conservative enough, or would my tattoos put me too solidly in the liberal column? :wink:
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was taught to agree on the majors, tolerance on the minors and in all things love.

While I do consider myself conservative, I have gotten my kids vaccinated...
Incognitus
Noob
Noob
Kyuremu wrote:Not looking to debate, but why are you against what others do with their lives? Shouldn't it only come down to how you live your life? You shouldn't be against the choices others make, rather you should be more embracing as a Christian.
I believe sound doctrine is important, and sound doctrine comes down to every little detail. Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, "commanding them ALL things, whatsoever I have commanded you." The church is to be a governing body of God's people, for their teaching, edification and spiritual growth. If the church doesn't take a stand for these things, who will? The church is to be the "peculiar people." Those are my reasons. I cannot control how others live their lives, but I can preach against sins people have in their lives, as long as I myself am not made a hypocrite in so doing. I am not perfect, and never claim to be, but I do take a firm stance against all forms of sin.

Hope this answers your question. :)

And Don't think I am a hateful individual either please... If I was hateful, I wouldn't make any efforts to correct my brother or sister, and let you rot and die in your sins.

Matthew 18:14-17 talks about the importance of doing this.
14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. 15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Again, hope this helps...
Sstavix
CCGR addict
I consider myself to be a diehard conservative, but I'm not sure if you would. ;)

For example, I believe in the ideas and principles this nation was founded on - namely limited government intervention, and individual rights.

However, when it comes to things like tattoos, alcohol, marijuana, gay marriage or other controversial elements like that, I have a "live and let live" attitude. As long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's rights, then why not? I'm also for those who want to make their own communities - even up to the state level - where they impose certain restrictions on these things, such as gay marriage or the legalization of marijuana. If you don't like it, move to another state that better reflects your values. (That's why I live in Idaho, incidentally. ;) )

(Oh, and two of my kids aren't vaccinated, either. The experiences we had with our eldest planted us firmly in the "anti-vaccine" camp. We did some research, and we don''t support mandatory vaccines at all. If you want more details, please feel free to send me a PM! :) )
Incognitus
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:
Incognitus wrote:I'm making this thread to look for people possibly of a like-faith, not to debate. I am a conservative Christian that opposes things like gay marriage, tattoos, vaccines and liberalism. If you're out there, please post here so we can fellowship together. :)
Not sure you'll find much success with an excessively specific list of traits. Conservatives come in all different flavors. I consider myself intensely Conservative. I oppose liberalism, gay marriage and all this trans- nonsense. I vaccinate my kids but I support the right not to have to. I don't care about tattoos on people (and have a couple myself). I believe the Government has no business controlling any healthcare decision I make for myself or my children. I oppose abortion and I believe in securing the borders. I think it's stupid that alcohol is legal in the same land where marijuana isn't. They should either both be legal or both outlawed, though it's much easier to make a case for making alcohol illegal.

Conservative enough, or would my tattoos put me too solidly in the liberal column? :wink:
We should be careful about being Pharisees OR Sadducees. That being said, I should be careful how I approach this issue. People do sin and make mistakes in their lives, especially before they are born-again (and sometimes even after). While I do take a firm stance against tattoos and believe it's a sin, I don't think that should be a reason to excommunicate an individual, so long as they've repented of it. As Christians we are to live in the world, but not be of the world / unequally yoke together with it, but rather "be changed by the renewing of our minds." (Romans 12:2) Pagans also did it whenever they mourned a dead loved-one, in memory of them apparently.

I suppose vaccination is one of those tricky ones that can be debated either way, since it's not explicitly mentioned in Scripture. I don't agree with it, but I don't know that that particular issue should be a deciding factor when making or breaking fellowship with a brother or sister.

Most Baptist pastors are against alcohol, and I'm sure marijuana also. It's a tricky area, but I suppose if it is truly for medical reasons (like people with bad seizures taking that oil that removes the agent that creates getting high), that would be okay. Alcohol was also apparently used as a medicine, and Jesus was offered wine on the cross, in the sponge. I don't think drinking is the answer to go to, to solve your problems and take away pain, that's why we have the Lord. I encourage you to pray and study for yourself concerning if drinking is okay for Christians. It is possible that drinking is permissible for Christians, but getting drunk absolutely is not; but again, research for yourself and pray about it, I am a fallible man and could be wrong about making such a statement.

Hope this clears some things up.
Incognitus
Noob
Noob
ccgr wrote:I was taught to agree on the majors, tolerance on the minors and in all things love.

While I do consider myself conservative, I have gotten my kids vaccinated...
As I said in my reply to ArticFox, while I stand against vaccines, I don't know if that issue should be a factor in making or breaking fellowship. There are "weightier matters" of the law to be dealing with.

Sometimes true love can be painful, but love is love. If our heavenly Father loves us, he chastens us... Sometimes it hurts a little, but we'll get over it, and His chastisement was for our own good anyway. Likewise, I think hard-hitting, convicting, offensive discussions on controversial topics are loving, if the truth is preached on the matter.

There are weightier matters in the law, like I said... For the smaller issues, I don't think tolerance is a good term to use, but agreeing to disagree. In other words, "you have your position, and I have mine." For certain smaller matters may, they not be reason enough to make or break fellowship, like I said before; it depends what they are though.
Incognitus
Noob
Noob
Sstavix wrote:I consider myself to be a diehard conservative, but I'm not sure if you would. ;)

For example, I believe in the ideas and principles this nation was founded on - namely limited government intervention, and individual rights.

However, when it comes to things like tattoos, alcohol, marijuana, gay marriage or other controversial elements like that, I have a "live and let live" attitude. As long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's rights, then why not? I'm also for those who want to make their own communities - even up to the state level - where they impose certain restrictions on these things, such as gay marriage or the legalization of marijuana. If you don't like it, move to another state that better reflects your values. (That's why I live in Idaho, incidentally. ;) )

(Oh, and two of my kids aren't vaccinated, either. The experiences we had with our eldest planted us firmly in the "anti-vaccine" camp. We did some research, and we don''t support mandatory vaccines at all. If you want more details, please feel free to send me a PM! :) )
On a political level, I guess I believe in a person's freedom of choice to do whatever they please, but when it comes to the church, I think we ought to take a firm stance against these things, getting drunk, getting high, tattooing our bodies, marrying homosexuals, etc. None of that should be allowed into the church. We can 'suffer' it to happen in the world, though we still stand against it. If you are entirely totalitarian, then that can be dangerous (perhaps either in the church or the government), but at the same time, too much freedoms can create problems also, esp. in the church (i.e. heresies creeping in, no sound doctrine established, floodgate of sin abroad, etc), in government -- then it'd just be an anarchy. We don't want to ADD or DIMINISH from God's word.

People ought to have the right to be free-thinkers, and not just going on the teachings of the pastor (otherwise it'd be a cult), but allowed to ask questions, but there should also be an appreciation for the truth too; there is only one truth. People that are not part of the church, I guess it doesn't really matter for them, but I suppose it does bother me they're doing these things anyhow, but I personally can't change them. Sometimes my thinking may require the enforcement of church & state, which I believe should remain separate.

I suppose it's kind of the same concept as one person said on this thread -- either allow everything, or enforce everything. If you don't want the world to have their freedoms to disobey God, and live in sin, then your freedoms likewise could be limited / taken away to worship and serve God; but if you allow one, you should allow the other.
Woiv
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
Although I may be young (13), I'd consider my self "conservative" as well.... I do my research and i find out the real facts that the media cover up. My parents have made a MAJOR influence on me. They taught me right from wrong, In the political world. When I eventually have a wife and kids, I can guard their minds from what is wrong, and I can play the role on them, such as my parents did to me.

Thanks,
Woiv
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

o CCGR forum moderator.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Incognitus wrote: We should be careful about being Pharisees OR Sadducees. That being said, I should be careful how I approach this issue. People do sin and make mistakes in their lives, especially before they are born-again (and sometimes even after). While I do take a firm stance against tattoos and believe it's a sin, I don't think that should be a reason to excommunicate an individual, so long as they've repented of it. As Christians we are to live in the world, but not be of the world / unequally yoke together with it, but rather "be changed by the renewing of our minds." (Romans 12:2) Pagans also did it whenever they mourned a dead loved-one, in memory of them apparently.
I agree completely that Pharisaical thinking is to be avoided. It leads to self-righteousness and eventually, false doctrine. This is where a "live and let live" attitude is useful, but my friend Sstavix and I would probably disagree as to how far that goes. :wink: I agree in live and let live to an extent, but we also have to be careful that it doesn't cloud our ability to take a clear and firm stance on what we believe to be right and wrong.

So if you believe tattooing to be sinful, I have no problem with that at all even though we'd disagree. My Church discourages the practice but stops short of calling it a sin per se. I admit a more observant member of my Church wouldn't get any though.
Incognitus wrote: I suppose vaccination is one of those tricky ones that can be debated either way, since it's not explicitly mentioned in Scripture. I don't agree with it, but I don't know that that particular issue should be a deciding factor when making or breaking fellowship with a brother or sister.
To me it's like any other Government intrusion. When they make it mandatory, I fight it even though I personally think it's a good idea. People have the right to decide how to maintain their own bodies (and the same goes for parents and their children.)
Incognitus wrote: Most Baptist pastors are against alcohol, and I'm sure marijuana also. It's a tricky area, but I suppose if it is truly for medical reasons (like people with bad seizures taking that oil that removes the agent that creates getting high), that would be okay. Alcohol was also apparently used as a medicine, and Jesus was offered wine on the cross, in the sponge. I don't think drinking is the answer to go to, to solve your problems and take away pain, that's why we have the Lord. I encourage you to pray and study for yourself concerning if drinking is okay for Christians. It is possible that drinking is permissible for Christians, but getting drunk absolutely is not; but again, research for yourself and pray about it, I am a fallible man and could be wrong about making such a statement.
I'll never promote the use of alcohol for recreational purposes. My Church does consider its use to be sinful (in that one cannot attend the Temple unless they abstain from it) and the same goes for recreational drugs of any kind.
Incognitus wrote: Hope this clears some things up.
Indeed.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Bruce_Campbell
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Why are vaccines a conservative issue? There are plenty of far lefties out there who are anti-vaxxers.
A vegan atheist walks into a bar. Bartender says "Hey, are you a vegan atheist? Just kidding, you've mentioned it like eight times already."
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Bruce_Campbell wrote:Why are vaccines a conservative issue? There are plenty of far lefties out there who are anti-vaxxers.
Good point, which speaks to the wisdom of avoiding pigeon-holing.

I guess he's coming from the perspective of Christian sects who are against that sort of thing, as opposed to political Conservatism, maybe?
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Yeah, I think I have to apologize. I may have muddied things up a bit. Blame it on the (election) season. :wink: When I read "conservative Christians," my thoughts immediately went to politics.

So back to the topic at hand, Incognitus, what do you mean by "conservative" Christian? As in those that strive to find and maintain a church as it existed when Christ walked the Earth? Or those that hold to tradition and try to remain steadfast in an ever-changing (and possibly, in their perspective, ever-darkening) world?

If so, then I am in an interesting category, indeed! Being a member of the Church of Latter-day Saints, I am a member of a Christian church that strives to restore the organizational structure that existed in Christ's time. We have a prophet, twelve apostles, teachers, bishops, deacons and other offices that were in the church that He organized. However, many other Christians disagree with the LDS church - or even claim that it isn't Christian - because it's a departure from both the Catholic and Protestant traditions, and doesn't adhere to the Nicene creed.

So by many definitions, it's conservative, but by others it isn't. Come to think of it, that's how some view my Libertarian / Constitutionalist stance, too. :wink: Maybe it is about politics....
Woiv
Minecraft Server Admin
Are you human?: Not likely
Sstavix wrote:So back to the topic at hand, Incognitus, what do you mean by "conservative" Christian? As in those that strive to find and maintain a church as it existed when Christ walked the Earth? Or those that hold to tradition and try to remain steadfast in an ever-changing (and possibly, in their perspective, ever-darkening) world?
A conservative christian is a term to identify christ followers who tend to follow conservative values. Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, limited government and also traditional american values. I just know realize your asking his opinion on what "conservative christian" means. Thats my opinion, and if incognitus believes the same, he can quote me and agree, or simply say his own words. :wink:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

o CCGR forum moderator.