Minecraft Magic and christians

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
Dirkdigdeep
Noob
Noob
Maybe this has been discussed before, maybe for you its not an issue, maybe ..but then maybe not. You see the word of God is so strong about this subject. I try to pretend its just a science tech disquised as "magic" as per the Sci-fi sayings that "Any sufficently advanced technology would appear as magic to a primitive people. " This game COULD have been released with a science theme instead of a magic theme, couldn't it? Why are we regeressing from that to a more occult frame of reference? Oh well ...some day maybe.
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
This was one of the reasons that my parents were not big on me playing MInecraft. However, they talked about it and decided that as long as I understood that Minecraft magic is just a game that i could play Minecraft.
Creepers + Boom Slimes = Big Crater
Minecrafting all the time!
I post too much.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
The magic use in Minecraft is relatively mild given today's standards. At least there aren't any overtly occult images or practices in use (that I know of.)
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
TheAlexTDB
Minecraft Server Admin
I personally am with Fox on this one, I mean books/movies like Lord of the rings, The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia are some really awesome movies (I haven't watched Harry Potter so I'm leaving that out :P) even though they have magic in them. Some other kids movies with similar elements would be Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin. So my point is that these movies/books were really good stories, even though they had magic in them. I think its the way you use the idea that would affect you, personally I don't have a problem with potions and stuff... as long as its fictional. :wink:
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
I agree, TheAlexTDB.
I post too much.
JesusIsLord713
Minecraft Server Admin
I think some Christians disagree with minecraft due to violence and magic in the game.
I love playing Mario games! :D :D :D :D :D They are so awesome!!!

1.12 is here!

A former admin of Prism!!!
ZappierVirus
CCGR addict
Yeah, my parents were not sure about Minecraft for those reasons when I first expressed interest in it.
I post too much.
BlockHeadLewie
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
TheAlexTDB wrote:I personally am with Fox on this one, I mean books/movies like Lord of the rings, The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia are some really awesome movies (I haven't watched Harry Potter so I'm leaving that out :P) even though they have magic in them. Some other kids movies with similar elements would be Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin. So my point is that these movies/books were really good stories, even though they had magic in them. I think its the way you use the idea that would affect you, personally I don't have a problem with potions and stuff... as long as its fictional. :wink:
I believe a word that could be used here would be: "perspective".
Am I close?
8)
If God is my Pilot and fully in control of the flight, I guess that makes me a Steward on the plane. How may I serve you?
TheAlexTDB
Minecraft Server Admin
Yes, I guess you could say that :lol: but is it a good perspective?
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

BlockHeadLewie
Master Gamer
Master Gamer
Hmmmmm, I (almost) dislike good questions like that as I either end up making enemies or confusing friends. Knowing my opinion is but one of many, I'll go ahead and try. My use of (whatever) in the following refers to magic, witchcraft or anything along those lines we're discussing in this topic.
Perspective is all about "where one is seeing (whatever) from, and why one is seeing (whatever)". From God's perspective everything, even (whatever) appears good since all things either express or prove His Glory. Basically that's all we can understand at this point about God's perspective, in general that is.
Mankind has always been distracted by something, even back in Genesis. If it's not our own experiences involving (whatever) it's our understanding of (whatever). Sometimes it can even be WHY we are distracted by (whatever). The more focus on (whatever) the less focus on God. THIS is apparently the main concern as God (and ALL that He implies) should ALWAYS be our main focus.
I myself have seen some rather nasty things in (almost) everything I've watched, even something 'harmless' like Sesame Street. However I can't just watch something as it is; I've got to watch it with three thoughts: "What are they saying?", "Why are they saying it?" and "How are they saying it?" I've honestly seen more (whatever) than most people with these thoughts and from what I've seen we've been on the downslide of focus ever since that sneaky serpent in the Garden of Eden.
I personally want to know what the enemy is up to. I also wish to know what he thinks he's trying to teach mankind. So with much prayer and faith in God's Eternal and Infallible Word I have watched, and shall continue to watch until it's no longer necessary, anything and everything I need to according to the things in front of my life at that time or against my Family in Christ. I've seen every Freddy movie, all of the Halloween movies, many children shows including movies directed toward kids as well as several TV shows if on cable or not.
IMHO, there is actually NOTHING worth watching ANYWHERE because of (whatever)! However we not only have free will but have the built-in desire to be entertained or educated. So my best advice is if something needs to be watched that has (whatever) in it, prayer is our second defense against anything (whatever) might try to infiltrate our lives. God's Word is the number one defense.
Satan may have the upper hand in this area but it's God who truly controls the exposure to (whatever) in our lives as we can handle it.
(I'm thinking this is a lot to discuss already, so I'll back off a little. For now...)
:think:
If God is my Pilot and fully in control of the flight, I guess that makes me a Steward on the plane. How may I serve you?
Ojara
Noob
Noob
BlockHeadLewie wrote:Hmmmmm, I (almost) dislike good questions like that as I either end up making enemies or confusing friends. Knowing my opinion is but one of many, I'll go ahead and try. My use of (whatever) in the following refers to magic, witchcraft or anything along those lines we're discussing in this topic.
Perspective is all about "where one is seeing (whatever) from, and why one is seeing (whatever)". From God's perspective everything, even (whatever) appears good since all things either express or prove His Glory. Basically that's all we can understand at this point about God's perspective, in general that is.
Mankind has always been distracted by something, even back in Genesis. If it's not our own experiences involving (whatever) it's our understanding of (whatever). Sometimes it can even be WHY we are distracted by (whatever). The more focus on (whatever) the less focus on God. THIS is apparently the main concern as God (and ALL that He implies) should ALWAYS be our main focus.
I myself have seen some rather nasty things in (almost) everything I've watched, even something 'harmless' like Sesame Street. However I can't just watch something as it is; I've got to watch it with three thoughts: "What are they saying?", "Why are they saying it?" and "How are they saying it?" I've honestly seen more (whatever) than most people with these thoughts and from what I've seen we've been on the downslide of focus ever since that sneaky serpent in the Garden of Eden.
I personally want to know what the enemy is up to. I also wish to know what he thinks he's trying to teach mankind. So with much prayer and faith in God's Eternal and Infallible Word I have watched, and shall continue to watch until it's no longer necessary, anything and everything I need to according to the things in front of my life at that time or against my Family in Christ. I've seen every Freddy movie, all of the Halloween movies, many children shows including movies directed toward kids as well as several TV shows if on cable or not.
IMHO, there is actually NOTHING worth watching ANYWHERE because of (whatever)! However we not only have free will but have the built-in desire to be entertained or educated. So my best advice is if something needs to be watched that has (whatever) in it, prayer is our second defense against anything (whatever) might try to infiltrate our lives. God's Word is the number one defense.
Satan may have the upper hand in this area but it's God who truly controls the exposure to (whatever) in our lives as we can handle it.
(I'm thinking this is a lot to discuss already, so I'll back off a little. For now...)
:think:
I feel like he hit the nail on the head (No pun intended BlockHeadLewie). Knowing what the deceiver is up to arms and prepares us for spiritual warfare. As far as magic in Minecraft (I didn't realize there was any), it doesn't bother me, because my heart is in the right place. What Satan means for evil, God uses for good...and guess what, this minecraft server is good stuff.

At the end of the day, it is the heart attitude that He looks at. If I say, "Oh my gosh", that is a euphemism for "Oh my God" which could be taken as blasphemous, in the old days, that got you stoned. (1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.") Therefore, if your heart is in the right place, He knows, and really, that is all that matters.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Ojara wrote: At the end of the day, it is the heart attitude that He looks at. If I say, "Oh my gosh", that is a euphemism for "Oh my God" which could be taken as blasphemous, in the old days, that got you stoned. (1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.") Therefore, if your heart is in the right place, He knows, and really, that is all that matters.
Not sure I'd go that far... That logic can be used to rationalize all sorts of inappropriate content in games. What we experience, what we put into our heads, does change the way we think and see things.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Ojara
Noob
Noob
ArcticFox wrote:
Ojara wrote: At the end of the day, it is the heart attitude that He looks at. If I say, "Oh my gosh", that is a euphemism for "Oh my God" which could be taken as blasphemous, in the old days, that got you stoned. (1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.") Therefore, if your heart is in the right place, He knows, and really, that is all that matters.
Not sure I'd go that far... That logic can be used to rationalize all sorts of inappropriate content in games. What we experience, what we put into our heads, does change the way we think and see things.
...I feel like it honestly depends on the eye of the beholder and knowing what you can/cannot handle. If you have a serious struggle with <insert inappropriate content here>, I recommend avoiding it and finding something that doesn't cause you to stray from the straight and narrow. But playing Minecraft doesn't make me want to go and join a wiccan sect or study the occult. I hope that clarifies.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Ojara wrote: ...I feel like it honestly depends on the eye of the beholder and knowing what you can/cannot handle. If you have a serious struggle with <insert inappropriate content here>, I recommend avoiding it and finding something that doesn't cause you to stray from the straight and narrow. But playing Minecraft doesn't make me want to go and join a wiccan sect or study the occult. I hope that clarifies.
That's true, and you are correct. People just need to be self aware enough to know what their limits and weaknesses are.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
amyjo88
Minecraft Server Admin
ArcticFox wrote:
I can see value in knowing what the enemy is up to, however, we don't have to actually watch the movies or play the games to know what's in them. Stuff like LotR and Harry Potter and Minecraft, I think we can watch/play and then evaluate. But we also need to be ready to turn off whatever we turn on. I've turned off and never finished several movies and a few games.

And we should check reviews and ratings, and share with others issues we find in media (without going on a rampage). And we should withdraw our financial support from such things. Movie Theaters and Family Video will refund your money if you aren't happy with a movie, there are certain times we ought to calmly express our discontent.