Angel From Hell TV Show upsetting Christians

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Are you human?: Yes!
In b4 the "stop whining things aren't as bad as you're claiming" lecture.

Will comment further later.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
there's a reason why we don't watch much TV...if a show is worth watching we'll wait to stream or watch it on DVD/Blu-ray with no comercials
RedPlums
VIP Member
VIP Member
Seriously, if you don't like a TV show, do not watch it.

We as Christians ought to know that the world doesn't care what we think and that TV will just get worse. If we don't like a TV show or movie then just don't watch it. Easy as that.
This is my signature
TheAlexTDB
Minecraft Server Admin
Same with my folks, we don't watch TV.

I'll agree with Plum too, actually that's one of the first few things that ran through my mind when I first saw this topic :(
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
I wondered if it was an overreaction ot misunderstanding of intent. Then I saw that it was One Million Moms calling for a boycott, and my suspicions were confirmed
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
When the show has an angel delivering a line like "...might be a mole or could be a wax burn from some degrading roleplay..." or drinking from a flask at 2 PM, I think I can see One Million Moms' concerns. Most people in this culture think of Christianity when they think of angels, so yeah it's a valid concern when they're portrayed in this way.

Granted, people aren't going to look at this and think this is how angels are described in churches, but it also doesn't convey any of the reality of how they are taught, nor does it show any reverence for the purpose and mission of angels.

So more TV garbage.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
Deepfreeze32
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: On the run from Johnny Law; ain't no trip to Cleveland
Never mind that the angels described in the bible are straight-up trippy, at least in the old testament. The Ophanim are described as "Wheels within wheels, with eyes along the rims." The Cherubim are described as having "the likeness of four living creatures" (Man, Lion, Ox, Eagle) with four wings. Then you have the Seraphim, who have six wings. Two cover their face, two cover their feet, and they fly with two.

The remaining descriptions are more vague, but can perhaps can be attributed to the general sense of fear they tend to invoke. I believe somewhere in the text it describes angels as spiritual beings. Perhaps they do not exist purely in a physical form? Either way, the Archangels saying "Don't be afraid" when they arrive isn't some form of pleasantry. It's because they literally inspire terror from their appearance, if you were the kind of person who had been reading (or had read to you) the texts your whole life.

Either way, if you ignore contemporary depictions of angels, they seem less like glorified people with wings and more like the creations of H.P. Lovecraft. Someone should pitch THAT to Hollywood.
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:When the show has an angel delivering a line like "...might be a mole or could be a wax burn from some degrading roleplay..." or drinking from a flask at 2 PM, I think I can see One Million Moms' concerns. Most people in this culture think of Christianity when they think of angels, so yeah it's a valid concern when they're portrayed in this way.

Granted, people aren't going to look at this and think this is how angels are described in churches, but it also doesn't convey any of the reality of how they are taught, nor does it show any reverence for the purpose and mission of angels.

So more TV garbage.

OMM is claiming they're distorting the truth about angels, as if there was a council of evil Hollywood producers gleefully weaving misleading information into the script in a grand master plan to thwart Christianity. In my opinion, Christianity does a good enough job making a joke of itself; outside input is superfluous.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote: OMM is claiming they're distorting the truth about angels, as if there was a council of evil Hollywood producers gleefully weaving misleading information into the script in a grand master plan to thwart Christianity.
I never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity (or apathy). Hollywood producers don't give a fig one way or the other. Annoying Christians is a way to be considered as "edgy" and give the pop culture cred. "Look how cool we are, we're not afraid to irritate Christians! Now tune in!" I don't think they want to get rid of Christianity. It's too useful to them.
ChickenSoup wrote: In my opinion, Christianity does a good enough job making a joke of itself; outside input is superfluous.
That's helpful.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:
ChickenSoup wrote: OMM is claiming they're distorting the truth about angels, as if there was a council of evil Hollywood producers gleefully weaving misleading information into the script in a grand master plan to thwart Christianity.
I never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity (or apathy). Hollywood producers don't give a fig one way or the other. Annoying Christians is a way to be considered as "edgy" and give the pop culture cred. "Look how cool we are, we're not afraid to irritate Christians! Now tune in!" I don't think they want to get rid of Christianity. It's too useful to them.
It's a component of our culture in general. Nothing is entitled to falling outside the realm of parody, even if it's parody to the point of being insulting.

That said, the show probably stirred up enough controversy that it generated enough headlines to be it's own advertising from the show on its own.

On the other hand: who cares? Don't watch television, then, if it's garbage. I haven't watched network television in about 4 years.
ChickenSoup wrote: In my opinion, Christianity does a good enough job making a joke of itself; outside input is superfluous.
That's helpful.
All the flavors you could be today, and you chose salty...

But seriously, to clarify--I do mean "groups representing Christianity" when I say that, rather than meaning that Christianity is a joke, or something. OMM is one of several groups that gives me eye-rolling spasms to the point that I'm embarrassed they claim to represent the same faith as me.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
ChickenSoup wrote: It's a component of our culture in general. Nothing is entitled to falling outside the realm of parody, even if it's parody to the point of being insulting.
That said, the show probably stirred up enough controversy that it generated enough headlines to be it's own advertising from the show on its own.
Good point. A show like that does indeed advertise itself.
All the flavors you could be today, and you chose salty...

But seriously, to clarify--I do mean "groups representing Christianity" when I say that, rather than meaning that Christianity is a joke, or something. OMM is one of several groups that gives me eye-rolling spasms to the point that I'm embarrassed they claim to represent the same faith as me.
Heh I spent the last 4 days snowed into my apartment, salty's about the only flavor I've got left :P

I understand what you mean about the groups though (thanks for clarifying.) I get the occasional facepalm too when I see groups that I nominally agree with being foolish and undermining their own credibility.
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens