Hoverboarding priest suspended by church

Got a question? We may have some answers!
Forum rules

1) This is a Christian site, respect our beliefs and we will respect yours.

2) This is a family friendly site, no swearing or posting offensive links, pictures, or signatures.

3) Please be respectful of others.

4) Trolls are not welcome and will be dealt with accordingly.

5) No racial comments, jokes or images

6) If you see a dead thread over 6 months old, let it rest in peace

7) No Duplicate posts
ccgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes!
The priest conducted Christmas mass in the city of Binan while tooling around the church on his board. It didn't sit well with church officials.
http://www.tmz.com/2015/12/30/hoverboar ... ded-video/

Cool or disrespectful?
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
"We haven't anything to condemn or complain about lately, let's just go with it."

"I agree. I haven't even shaken my jowels in righteous fury in weeks! WEEKS!"
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
Sstavix
CCGR addict
Depends on the church, of course. Apparently, the heads of this church (what denomination is it, anyway?) thought it was disrespectful.

Personally, though, I think that anything that can help to bring more people to Christ can be good. It's similar to the argument that some Christians might make about how rock music (or game review sites :wink: ) can't possibly correlate to "good, upstanding" Christianity. I disagree with that sentiment. Jesus Christ hung out with sinners, harlots, miscreants and tax collectors for a reason - they were some of the people who needed Him the most. In this day and age, where do you think most of the sinners and miscreants hang out? Rock concerts and the 'net. :wink: If it helps bring people to be filled with a desire to learn more about Christ and His ministry, I say go for it. Let's see the priest with the mohawk and the electric guitar go hoverboarding through the service. Better than the people falling asleep during the sermon - or not showing up at all. Right?
Yoshichef5
Noob
Noob
I don't think it's bad because it puts a smiles on kids faces :)
JOJ650s
Forum Moderator
Sstavix wrote:It's similar to the argument that some Christians might make about how rock music.
Reminds me when guitars were shunned... a bit surreal to think about now. XD
Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

1 Corinthians 13; remember it always.
babymcnerd
Noob
Noob
as long as it brings people to Christ i an good
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
I can see why they put a stop to it.

It's distracting. Instead of listening to the sermon, people would be "oohing" and "aaahing" over a gimmick. If a few people trickle into see the priest on the hoverboard sermon, they'll just trickle right back out when it gets old.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus."
—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
ArcticFox wrote:I can see why they put a stop to it.

It's distracting. Instead of listening to the sermon, people would be "oohing" and "aaahing" over a gimmick. If a few people trickle into see the priest on the hoverboard sermon, they'll just trickle right back out when it gets old.
I mean, that's your opinion.

I dunno, maybe I've just been in church so consistently and for so long that the constant repetition of the regular goings-on and whatnot make the regular stuff want to slam my head repeatedly into a wall, but do you think that maybe that's okay every once and a while?

I mean, I thought the Wii was pretty gimmicky, but I still got a lot out of playing some of the games on it.
My name is ChickenSoup and I have several flavors in which you may be interested
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
Catholic services aren't known for flexibility. They follow a very specific program in a very consistent way. Missals exist precisely because every Sunday, no matter where you are in the world, the service will be conducted the same way.

"The Eucharist demands utmost respect and reverence. It is the Church's highest form of worship, not a personal celebration where one can capriciously introduce something to get attention."
-The local diocese

Reverence is the key for them in the way they do this kind of thing. They don't have any patience for showboating or gimmicks. That may not be the way you or I do things, but it is their way, and that priest should have known better.
"He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens
ChickenSoup
CCGR addict
Oh, organized religion.
ArcticFox
CCGR addict
You got that right :mrgreen:
—Brigham Young

—Christopher Hitchens